Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Job Security: Ramsey

D'Pablo

Has Ramsey earned job security? Personally, I don't think he has done a single thing on the field that makes me comfortable with him. He was named starter for a full year, but didn't exactly make the most of it. Granted since then, he hasn't exactly been given a fair shake, but he hasn't exactly shown that he has progressed either. Considering how bad Brunell was last preseason, Ramsey should have won the starting job outright; especially given the fact that he already had built relationships with his receivers. It took an injury to Brunell for him to be put in the starting lineup. A scouting report on Ramsey would look something like:

Has great toughness inside the pocket and will wait for a play to develop. A very quick release. Amazing arm strength and can make all the throws. However, he does not demonstrate an ability to make touch throws nor does he have deep accuracy. Has decent mechanics but still relies far too much on his javelin skills to power his thows. Does not see the field well for the most part and regularly misses open receivers. This may be due to his slightly smaller stature (6'2" and behind 6'4"+ linemen). Sometimes holds the ball too long resulting in unnecessary sacks and hurries. Too immobile and has very poor footwork, although he has improved in this department. Will seldom be able to make something out of broken plays. Character-wise, a stand up guy with great mental accumen (a 3.5 GPA at Tulane, while studying business). Does not keep this mental composure on the field though and sometimes makes extremely ill-advised throws.

I just wrote this, and to me, it sounds pretty accurate. Maybe it's just my bias, but I don't really a successful NFL QB with that description. We can't say for sure that QB wasn't a pressing need for us. Gibbs has spent a lot more time with our QBs than we have, and I'm sure he has a similar scouting report on the table. To me, Campbell scouting report is a lot stronger than Ramsey's was when he was coming out of Tulane. Do you guys think Ramsey's play has warranted his job security?

I agree with you. If Gibbs hands him the reins this season then I think he's gotten as much of a fair shake as one can expect in the modern NFL.

He will have been given the opportunity to play for 1.5 seasons under Joe. If he can't lead the team by then, then Joe is justified to try to put someone in there who can.

In all honesty (and I'm zipping up my flame-retard suit now) Brunell has earned more NFL QBing credibility than PR has.

I think Ramsey deserves to be the starter, but I think it was a good pick in drafting Campbell. If Ramsey fails to improve this year what is our option for a QB next year? I think Gibbs realized he had to get someone in if Ramsey fails.

I think Ramsey has had plenty of time to learn in the NFL. He has not shown any signs of maturity on the field. I'm very glad we drafted QB in the first round, because it is clear that Ramsey does not have the ability to lead us where we want, Superbowl.

Interesting how fans are coming out of the woodwork as critical of Ramsey now that the team decided to take a QB in the first round. Either there was a substantial silent minority or people are blowing with the wind.

Just find it interesting ... is all ...

Ramsey demonstrated during the last three games, that he DOES have the ability to complete the short to intermediate passes. It was the most improved upon facet of his play coming out of last season. There were many dropped passes, so the stats are somewhat deceiving, but Ramsey had made a marked improvement. This gives me more optimism for him than anything else going into next season.

Originally posted by bird_1972

Interesting how fans are coming out of the woodwork as critical of Ramsey now that the team decided to take a QB in the first round. Either there was a substantial silent minority or people are blowing with the wind.

Not sure if you were referring to me, but I wouldn't classify what I wrote as critical. Pretty much a lot of people are saying that if Ramsey can't perform in his second year under Gibbs, he shouldn't be considered untouchable.

Let's remember that Gibbs tended to go with the hot hand in his first tenure until a guy gained Joe's trust.

Also, if Gibbs had been unwavering in his support of PR then I think I'd look at this differently, but we don't know how the guy practices or any of that.

All I'm saying is that PR should be given the opportunity, but if Gibbs changes QBs at some point, it's not like he's yanking out a Pro Bowler or Super Bowl champion QB.

I agree....

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

Not sure if you were referring to me, but I wouldn't classify what I wrote as critical. Pretty much a lot of people are saying that if Ramsey can't perform in his second year under Gibbs, he shouldn't be considered untouchable.

Let's remember that Gibbs tended to go with the hot hand in his first tenure until a guy gained Joe's trust.

Also, if Gibbs had been unwavering in his support of PR then I think I'd look at this differently, but we don't know how the guy practices or any of that.

All I'm saying is that PR should be given the opportunity, but if Gibbs changes QBs at some point, it's not like he's yanking out a Pro Bowler or Super Bowl champion QB.

TD,

Not calling you or anyone else out in particular. I've been largely on the sidelines the weeks leading up into the draft and in the immed. day or so afterwards. It's merely an observation of mine.

The mechanics of throwing a football and throwing a javelin are completely different and in no way related. There is no way PR is using those old track skills as a QB. It is actually pretty impossible to do.

And I think you are over rating his time as a starting QB with down playing the differences in the Gibbs system vs the Spurrier system. PR has been asked to completely change his mind set from what Spurrier wanted him to do and frankly, I don't think there is a QB playing today who could have been succussful in that system with that blocking scheme.

Add to that the fact that our defense lost a number of those games late where Pat and the offense had done their job or the coach lost it with bad play calling at the end of a game thus giving the opposing offense plenty of time to take a game away.

So no, I don't think Patrick has been given a fair shake at this point. He should get it this year with a real pro blocking plan, a full off season under Gibbs as the incumbent starter and running game that has to be respected. He should have 16 games to make his case this year.

TD,

Not calling you or anyone else out in particular. I've been largely on the sidelines the weeks leading up into the draft and in the immed. day or so afterwards. It's merely an observation of mine.

Cool, I wasn't sure if it was comments like mine or more severe ones that you were referring to.

I guess my whole thing is unless you've proven that you're a winner, you haven't earned a free pass. I think it would be wrong to kick Ramsey to the curb at the start of the season, but if we're 2-6 or something and it's mostly due to our offense, that might be enough time for Gibbs to have made his decision...

Originally posted by jivelikenice

Ramsey didn't win in college, and he hasn't won yet in the pro's....He has to show Gibbs that he can lead a winning team and thats something that he just hasn't shown yet....You can't overlook the fact that he was on a bad college team....

That's a good point and something I didn't think about before. Granted, playing on bad teams can't be held against an individual, but there is something to be said for coming from a successful program.

Gibbs even referred to Campbell and Rogers coming from an undefeated team and hoping to infuse the Skins with that type of mentality. I wonder if there was more to that comment than face value?

I think that a lot of people have already said it. - Patrick isn't gonna get yanked after every bad series, like with Spurrier, but also I agree that there is no job security for him or anyone else.

Gibbs said it's his team - Pat's the only one that can change that now.

I remember Don Warren talking about his entire career, he came to camp and worked his butt off, because he knew every year there was someone trying to steal his job. Now THAT needs to be everyone's attitiude.

here is my take on ramsey: he doesn't do the mechanical and textbook things that a qb should do, but he is the definition of a gamer. he steps in there takes his hits, gets up, and keeps coming. does that deserve my respect? yes. does that deserve job security? no. does he have the potential to be better than what we have seen? yes.

so when you have one qb who has potential, another who has far surpassed his potential, and another one who has reached his potential and it isn't that steller, then you are kind of in no-mans land. so what is going to help patrick reach his potential faster? competition.

Besides Brett Favre, is there a QB in the league who has job security? Even Brett, if his production dipped significantly, would have the coaches contemplating the hook. The only reason they wouldn't is b/c he is such a fan favorite, and the Packers are owned by the fans.

Any other QB in the league will get pulled if they don't perform. It goes for every position in the NFL! Job security is nonexistent in this sport, or sports in general. Now there are situations such as in San Diego last season and our current one where job security seems to be an imminent concern; and hopefully Ramsey will respond the same way Brees did.

Archived