Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bears to take RB in first round

cscmtp

A guy on FBG said he heard on NFL Sirus radio that the Bears were STRONGLY leaning towards drafting a RB and NOT taking a WR. Assuming this is true, and the Bucs are still leaning towards a RB as well, wouldn't the Skins have the option to get Edwards or Williams at 1.9? Or is it a given that we'll draft a CB now?

Here is what was posted on FBG

"Take this for what it's worth, but on my drive home tonight, Bob Kemp was talking about what he thought would happen in the draft. He had pulled a mock draft from online (I believe it was FoxSports but came in late) anyway, he was reading each pick and talking about what he thought would happen.

When he got to the Bears pick, whatever mock he was reading had them taking Mike Williams and he said, and I paraphrase, "Well I can tell you that probably won't happen. I have a very reliable contact within the Bears organization and he's told me that the Bears will not look at WRs with the #4 pick but will go RB instead. They like Ronnie Brown and Benson a lot."

Is Kemp blowing smoke? Is his contact in the Bears organization worth anything? Who knows. But I can tell you that Kemp firmly believes that the Bears are taking a RB at #4 while most everyone else thinks they're going WR"

Again, i know this is far from fact, but interesting none the less...i'd still love to get Williams or Edwards...

that team never seems to have great luck with RB's or WR's in recent years. Anthony Thomas and Thomas Jones have been average for them, as was David Terrell. Wonder if Brown or Benson can make the difference in Chicago.

I initally believed that the Bears were going to take a RB in the 1st and then a WR later in the draft. However the more and more I read and the more and more I think about it, ive reversed that around. They will probably take Edwards with the #4 pick and the Vikes will take Williams at #7

However.

If the Bears pass on Edwards at #4 then the Vikes will take Edwards at #7, which means that most likely Williams will be on the board at #9. Whether we take him or not depends on how high he is ranked on the FO's draft board.

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

It's a moot point, Tampa is going to take Mike Williams.

:laugh: the team that ranked 29th in Rushing Yards/Game, the team that ranked 28th in Rushing Average, with a 33 year old, oft injured starting RB wont take a WR in the first when they can get a stud RB with the #5 pick and get a WR later in the draft.

This could be smoke blowing, but before the Bears signed Muhhamad, everyone said they were going RB. Then after, the mocks switched to Edwards, cause it gave the Bears a good WR combo.

Tampa won't take Mike Williams over Braylon Edwards, I don't think.

But i've become resigned to the fact that one of the two WR's will not fall to us.

Being a Michigan fan, I would LOVE if Braylon fell to us at #9, but I don't think that will happen. I am coming around on Mike Williams, and we can always hope that the Vikes don't get their pick in on time....

Originally posted by Oldskool

:laugh: the team that ranked 29th in Rushing Yards/Game, the team that ranked 28th in Rushing Average, with a 33 year old, oft injured starting RB wont take a WR in the first when they can get a stud RB with the #5 pick and get a WR later in the draft.

Make sure and send that to Jon Gruden, you might be able to convince him. :D

I agree with you, they would be smart to take a RB. But, from everything I've read, I would be shocked if they didn't take Mike Williams.

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

Make sure and send that to Jon Gruden, you might be able to convince him. :D

I agree with you, they would be smart to take a RB. But, from everything I've read, I would be shocked if they didn't take Mike Williams.

Gruden has been drooling over both Benson and Williams all offseason.

The decision lays in the hands of Bruce Allen as well. He saw how well both his former team (Raiders) and his new team (Bucs) did last year on offense without having a stud RB.

There are plenty of good RB’s in this draft, but few if any studs after round 1

Gruden has been drooling over both Benson and Williams all offseason.

The decision lays in the hands of Bruce Allen as well. He saw how well both his former team (Raiders) and his new team (Bucs) did last year on offense without having a stud RB.

There are plenty of good RB’s in this draft, but few if any studs after round 1

He's been drooling over Mike Williams just as much, if not more. Especially lately.

But, I hope you're right and the Bears and Bucs both take RB's.

If you believe profootballtalk, they Bears are horny for Matt Jones in the second round. If they were going WR in the first, why would they even be thinking about Matt Jones? And besides Jones, there are plenty of talented WRs that will be available in the second round. I expect the Bears to go with a RB.

A healthy Urlacher, and drafing Derrick Johnson would be a sick LB combo in my opinion. It definitely wouldn't surprise me if they went RB, but they were really high on TJ last year, so grabbing a playmaker like Edwards would be there best option.

In terms of the Vikes, I wouldn't be suprised in the least bit if the went defense with that first pick. They may be feigning Williams but I believe they have a great opportunity to improve their defense even further than they have in FA by taking an impact defensive player with the #7 pick.

Come draft day, we may understand that Williams will be there at #9 and we may choose to use that to trade down and accumulate further 1st day picks. If we pass on him at #9, we better get perceived value in a trade down.

I'm quite sure Gibbs/Williams/Snyder/Cerrato have thought the whole process through and will have contingency plans for all scenarios. They don't seem like the type not to be prepared for an unforseen player dropping to #9 and using it to their advantage.

Personally I think a lot of teams are taking advantage of the hype and publicity Mike Williams has gotten. I think its very likely that Tampa is trying to convince Minnesota or the Skins to move up in the draft in order to get Williams. My personal belief is that they will take Cadillac Williams. He is a perfect fit for Gruden's style of offense, especially if he tightens up his pass-catching a bit. He seems right out of the Charlie Garner mold, except a great deal more talented, especially when running between the tackles.

I initally believed that the Bears were going to take a RB in the 1st and then a WR later in the draft. However the more and more I read and the more and more I think about it, ive reversed that around. They will probably take Edwards with the #4 pick and the Vikes will take Williams at #7

However.

If the Bears pass on Edwards at #4 then the Vikes will take Edwards at #7, which means that most likely Williams will be on the board at #9. Whether we take him or not depends on how high he is ranked on the FO's draft board.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bears don't take Edwards that Tennesse would. - they need pretty much everything, so if he were there, why not take him?

Originally posted by KINGBRICE_28

I still think AT is the man in Chicago.....

While their line is good on paper the WR's have never been better than avg.

I think it's too much pressure on AT..

I think someone said they are shopping him in a trade.

I think it's going to be vice versa. They'd take Mike Williams in the first and a RB in the second (JJ Arrington and Ryan Moats were in Tampa the other day).

I beleive they're leaning toward Arrington though.

"BACKS VISIT: Cal's J.J. Arrington, the nation's leading rusher, visited One Buc Place on Thursday, along with Louisiana Tech's Ryan Moats. Both backs are projected as high second-round draft picks after first-rounders Brown, Benson and Williams."

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBS61PS97E.html

Grudens offense is based on the passing game. A stud wr is more important than a stud rb. His Oakland teams were rb by committee, no big star rb.

I don't know how reliable Bob Kemp's source is in the Bears' organization, but I do know that Kemp spent a number of years in Chicago on sports radio until just recently.

He split town 2-3 years ago after Sporting News bought out the station he was with in Chicago and moved back to Arizona and his family.

So, for what it's worth, I'd think Kemp still has very viable ties to Chi-town and the Bears organization.

I think they take Edwards if he is there, but if the Niners pull a fast one and take Edwards, I reckon they would go RB. Mike Williams at #4 would be a major reach.

The problem with this is that people may well think that a receiver could drop to #9, but I don't think so as if both Brown and Carnel Williams are off the board, I reckon the Bucs would take Mike Williams instead of taking Cedric Brown.

I honestly don't think, regardless of scenerio, that Williams or Edwards are there at #9. If the Skins want a WR with that pick, they have to take Williamson or trade down a bit (depending on offers) and take someone like Mark Clayton.

Archived