Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bears to take RB in first round

cscmtp

Originally posted by Duke

I think it's going to be vice versa. They'd take Mike Williams in the first and a RB in the second (JJ Arrington and Ryan Moats were in Tampa the other day).

I beleive they're leaning toward Arrington though.

"BACKS VISIT: Cal's J.J. Arrington, the nation's leading rusher, visited One Buc Place on Thursday, along with Louisiana Tech's Ryan Moats. Both backs are projected as high second-round draft picks after first-rounders Brown, Benson and Williams."

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBS61PS97E.html

Arrington is this drafts Clinton Portis. Best RB in the draft.

Originally posted by illone

Arrington is this drafts Clinton Portis. Best RB in the draft.

Arrington is good, and may actually be better than Benson. But there is little to no chance he will be better than either of the boys from Auburn. They are studs, pure and simple.

Originally posted by e16bball

Arrington is good, and may actually be better than Benson. But there is little to no chance he will be better than either of the boys from Auburn. They are studs, pure and simple.

I would give him more than just a little chance. Arrington already is better than both of them. He was the #1 rusher in the NCAA last season. Over 2000 yards, 7 yards per carry with 15 TDs.

Sure, Arrington's stats are better, but you have to look beyond stats.

He had the advantage of being the feature back in the offense, and he also had the advantage of playing with one of the most potent offenses in the country. Ronnie and Cadillac had to split carries, and although Campbell had a good season, their passing offense was nowhere near as explosive, leaving them to deal with 8 man fronts and other defenses designed to control them. Arrington also played much weaker competition in the Pac-10 than Ronnie and Cadillac in the SEC. In addition, his stats are inflated because he broke off several very long runs which are not necessarily indicative of a consistent ability to produce.

As I said, I think he is a good player, but I also don't think he will be much more than a 3rd down back. He just doesn't have the ability to pound the ball when necessary in short yardage situations and the like.

Originally posted by BruinSkin

For what it's worth, I had a dream a few weeks ago that Ronnie Brown was a bear.

Your dream is going to come true. The Bears want to pound it, and you need 2 backs to do that. A train is outa there. Brown is a good fit and will share carries with Jones. The only way the Bears don't take Brown is if the Phins beat them to it, in which case they could take Benson.

The team I'm really wondering about is the Bucs. I agree w/ Oldskool that Cadillac would be a very good fit, but I could also see them taking Williams. If the linebacker is still there, they're going to have a lot of options.

The Bears would be better off taking any position besides RB in the first. They have needs across the board. There is a lot of depth at RB this year, and they pick high at in each round. They would be better off with Braylon, Mike, Barron, Derek Johnson, or a QB (Grossman hasn't shown any more than Thomas Jones). They don't have a dire need for RB.

Archived