Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike & Mike: Take it to the bank

Originally posted by bird_1972

I love how everyone cites this as a reason NOT to draft a DE. Look, at best, the reason for this was that we had 2 great corners - one of whom is now gone. At worst, we dodged a bullet and now with one season's worth of film, Williams' surprise blitz packages will surprise no one and our lack of edge rush will become a liability.

I disagree. How can you plan for blitzes that can come from any position at any time? Not to mention, I believe it was posted in another thread that Williams will be incorporating a 3-4 at times as a change of pace so to speak.

As far as Smoot being gone, I agree he' s a loss, but not one that can't be overcome. It's not like losing your best Cornerback, only your second best ;) .

I know you said we should trade down. IF we traded down, I could agree with you. However, when you have a high draft pick like this, I am of the philosophy that you take the best *athlete* available, regardless of position. If Williams slips to 9, he will definitely be the best athlete.

As far as our defense goes, I think it will be stud. Our defense is more a product of system than individual talent. It's not like teams couldn't game plan for Williams defense last year. He's been in the league for quite a few years.

Originally posted by herrmag

I know you said we should trade down. IF we traded down, I could agree with you. However, when you have a high draft pick like this, I am of the philosophy that you take the best *athlete* available, regardless of position. If Williams slips to 9, he will definitely be the best athlete.

As far as our defense goes, I think it will be stud. Our defense is more a product of system than individual talent. It's not like teams couldn't game plan for Williams defense last year. He's been in the league for quite a few years.

Well then,

Sounds like me agree 'cause I DO want us to trade down. Herrmag, it's all about building on your strengths and building through the draft. To be candid, I wouldn't be against the idea of drafting a lower rated WR if we did trade down and then take a DL off the board with whatever 2nd rounder we had left.

There is no way I can advocate drafting a WR at #9 - to me that is a luxury pick.

Originally posted by bird_1972

I love how everyone cites this as a reason NOT to draft a DE. Look, at best, the reason for this was that we had 2 great corners - one of whom is now gone. At worst, we dodged a bullet and now with one season's worth of film, Williams' surprise blitz packages will surprise no one and our lack of edge rush will become a liability.

I agree that CB is less of a need today with the new rules - that is where you and I see eye to eye. I just think that generating a pass rush from the DL is something that would make our D complete. With all of the WR we have now - I think the additions that are needed to the O aren't at wideout and instead are depth on the Oline and blocking TEs. Besides, I'm not sure we have enough money to throw at a WR drafted at the #9 position anyways.

Lets go DE with this one, Herrmag, shall we?

I agree that a rush end would be a great addition. Where I disagree is with it being of utmost importance. Williams schemes well with what he has, if he has lemons he makes lemonade. As for having film of us that is not how it works. All teams had plenty of film on us last year. All they had to do was look at old Tennessee tapes and Bills tapes from previous Williams coached teams. Schemes change to meet the team you are playing and great coordinators scheme in the 6 days of game prep. I think that our Defense will be much more to recon with even if we stay as is at DE. We get back Arrington, Bowen and Lott. Now their backups Clark, Marshall, and other fill ins have game experience. We lost Smoot and Pierce, they will be missed but not for long.

Originally posted by Bufford

if we really wanted Mike Williams. Wouldn't we make sure that Rod ended up in Tampa? They just resigned Galloway...... they would have other needs....like a RB in the 1st round.

plus they drafted clayton 15th overall last year.

Originally posted by herrmag

I disagree. How can you plan for blitzes that can come from any position at any time? Not to mention, I believe it was posted in another thread that Williams will be incorporating a 3-4 at times as a change of pace so to speak.

where's the post stating GW will mix in the 3-4? and what are the sources? i'm asking b/c i'm genuinely curious about this. is it just rumor or something officially said by the team? if they are going to rotate a 3-4 scheme, that brings in another issue. sure lemar marshal and barrow can play MLB but, barrow's health is really questionable, so if he goes down, there goes the 3-4. or do they have faith in clifton smith's abilities?

Originally posted by God Help Me, I'm in Texas

And if we draft him, he'll be taking us to the bank too

That's what I was thinking, Tex. (I'm going to call you Tex) Since we have very little money, how can we afford the 9th pick? Seems like we are forced to trade down. I'm not a capologist, I just play one on TV.

Originally posted by FS36

where's the post stating GW will mix in the 3-4? and what are the sources? i'm asking b/c i'm genuinely curious about this. is it just rumor or something officially said by the team? if they are going to rotate a 3-4 scheme, that brings in another issue. sure lemar marshal and barrow can play MLB but, barrow's health is really questionable, so if he goes down, there goes the 3-4. or do they have faith in clifton smith's abilities?

I believe it was an article posted, but I'll do a search for it. If anyone recollects the specific thread, please post it.

Originally posted by Hooper

We are not drafting him. We are reportedly going to give Santana a huge contract that he can "take to the bank" so it would be foolish to spend all that money on another receiver.

You sure about this, bro, or is this the darkside in you coming out?

:evil:

Yes, because rookie receivers almost never miss. Especially slow ones who have been out of football for a year. And it's so smart to pay Santana Moss like a number one receiver just to draft Williams and pay him even more more. That's how you manage the cap.

Archived