Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike & Mike: Take it to the bank

I really want Williams. But Rolle fills a bigger need for us right now.

Plus, I like our chances at draft CB's early. We have a nice record of that lately.

I used to feel like we were CB version of QB's in San Fran through the Montana through Young era.

Green forever, Champ for awhile, Smoot for alittle. But for over 20 years. We had at least 1 pro bowl level CB starting.

Springs is great and all, but he did get hurt.

Rolle is talented and a need for us. If he's gone and Williams is still there. Then you take him.

An Yahoo article says the Bucs have locked in on Williams. I would love to see him as a Redskin.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcTFhbmEwBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=cr-williams031005&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Pro day report: Mike Williams

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

March 10, 2005

Finally, a stud.

After weeks of waiting for a prospect to step forward and knock the socks off NFL teams, USC wide receiver Mike Williams gave the league a superstar to orbit around Thursday.

Stepping out in front of 56 scouts, coaches and executives, Williams showcased a combination of size and athleticism that should make him this draft's can't-miss prospect. Standing just an eyelash under 6-foot-5 and weighing in at 229 pounds, Williams ran his 40-yard dashes in the mid-4.5-second range.

One team representative in attendance said Williams "had people grinning" during drills, as he showcased the size and skill that made him one of the most dangerous players in college football two seasons ago.

"He can't get much higher [on draft boards]. There can't be but one, two, three kids ahead of him," the source said of Williams' draft prospects, which have been steadily rising since he ran and went through interviews at the scouting combine last month in Indianapolis. "There might even be some maneuvering around to get at him."

ADVERTISEMENT

Williams' Thursday workout took place in Tampa, but it wasn't just proximity that explained the presence of almost the entire Tampa Bay Buccaneers brain trust, including coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.

Rumors have been swirling since the combine that the Bucs have locked onto Williams with the No. 5 pick in the draft. One league source suggested earlier this week that the Minnesota Vikings (who have two first-round picks) would attempt to move up to the Cleveland Browns' No. 3 spot to land Williams if the Vikings cannot secure a No. 1 wide receiver via trade or free agency. The Chicago Bears, who own the fourth overall choice, also are interested (general manager Jerry Angelo interviewed Williams in Tampa on Tuesday).

There was some concern about Williams entering the combine, particularly after he had spent one year away from college football and offered no fresh film to evaluate. But a handful of teams said he interviewed well and improved his standing by running his 40-yard dashes after originally planning to bypass the sprint. Considering his size, teams were pleased when he ran in the high 4.5s.

With the draft a little more than a month away, the top 10 picks remain almost entirely undefined. Even the No. 1 choice seems shrouded in mystery as the San Francisco 49ers await pro day workouts of Cal's Aaron Rodgers and Utah's Alex Smith.

Williams entered Thursday's workout behind Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards on some scouting reports. That may have changed, but it's worth noting that Edwards will have a chance to respond on March 18, when Michigan holds its pro day.

Originally posted by heyholetsgogrant

If we dont get em, I still say we trade down get either a CB or Heath Miller, along with with another pick. Hopefully we would trade down with either the Chiefs or Viks and pick up their second rounder and get Vincent Jackson.

Saw some coverage from Williams workout yesterday, Gruden was in attendance.

I am in Tampa on business this week and all of the local news coverage was about Mike W. It won't be the first time Mike and Mike are wrong. He WILL BE GONE for sure. The only way he is not is if Ronnie Brown is available, that is the only person they said the Bucs have rated higher on their board.

Originally posted by Synergist

Either would make me happy, Personally with all the new rules and such a CB doesn't have as much as a impact as they once did in the NFL. I'd like to see us pick up williams.. The O really needs help.

actually with the new contact rules, a cornerback has to be that much better....

How about take this to the bank:

For once, why don't we NOT take a wasteful sexy high first round pick and instead trade down and fill a long-standing need (ie, DE) since we already have plenty of WR on the roster?

Or would you all rather squander another draft just to say you got a really exciting athlete? In case you haven't noticed, Williams is a gamble - he hasn't been playing football for one year.

Originally posted by SlobberKnockinFootball

Everyone get on the bus for Shawne Merriman. Let's keep our home grown products in our backyard.

If we don't, he will be wearing the silver and blue.

I am on this bus.

I would love to see us draft this guy.:cheers:

The he!! with drafting a CB. CB's are becoming less and less useful in the NFL. The rules make it impossible to do their job. I'd rather hire a veteran CB to play a backup role, than waste a 1st round draft pick (esp. a top ten) on a cornerback. WR's are gamebreakers, so if he's there, I say take Williams.

Originally posted by bird_1972

How about take this to the bank:

For once, why don't we NOT take a wasteful sexy high first round pick and instead trade down and fill a long-standing need (ie, DE) since we already have plenty of WR on the roster?

Or would you all rather squander another draft just to say you got a really exciting athlete? In case you haven't noticed, Williams is a gamble - he hasn't been playing football for one year.

He's no more a gamble than anyone else in the draft. Wow, one year out of football. I'm sure he was sitting on his couch eating cheetos all year. Oh wait, scouting reports have nothing but good things to say about him.

As far as WR's go, you're right, we do have plenty. But I think this is part of Gibbs's plan. He said he doesn't want to go into the draft having to look for a specific position. If by some miracle we are able to get Williams (unlikely, but possible), it wouldn't shock me to see one or two other receivers on the team moved (to include newly acquired Santana Moss).

As far as a need for DE; we needed one last year as well, but did okay, don't you think? We need to worry about the part of the team that stunk; the offense.

Originally posted by herrmag

As far as a need for DE; we needed one last year as well, but did okay, don't you think? We need to worry about the part of the team that stunk; the offense.

I love how everyone cites this as a reason NOT to draft a DE. Look, at best, the reason for this was that we had 2 great corners - one of whom is now gone. At worst, we dodged a bullet and now with one season's worth of film, Williams' surprise blitz packages will surprise no one and our lack of edge rush will become a liability.

I agree that CB is less of a need today with the new rules - that is where you and I see eye to eye. I just think that generating a pass rush from the DL is something that would make our D complete. With all of the WR we have now - I think the additions that are needed to the O aren't at wideout and instead are depth on the Oline and blocking TEs. Besides, I'm not sure we have enough money to throw at a WR drafted at the #9 position anyways.

Lets go DE with this one, Herrmag, shall we?

Archived