Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MERGED-WP Update:Redskins Attempting to Trade Coles

RWJ

Originally posted by Bufford

man, San Diego has both our WR's written all over them.

Already a playoff team, which cap room.

Why wouldn't they want Coles AND Rod......for the price of one 1st rounder?

cha-ching....come on.

Or even even a QB :whoknows:

Originally posted by Tarhog

By Nunyo Businessio

Washington Provost Staff Writer

Monday, February 21, 2005; 8:54 PM

The Washington Redskins, unable to work out a plan to trade or release disgruntled wide receiver Laveranues Coles, have decided to grind the talented but unhappy wide receiver up and fashion him into a food product in an attempt to avoid releasing him and receiving nothing in return, according to an NFL source.

"Hopefully something will work out good for him and good for us," Coach Joe Gibbs said yesterday. ‘We’re hoping he tastes good on a cracker’ a highly-placed anonymous Redskin’s source stated, ‘we’ve done some focus group tests and they’ve described the yet-to-be-named paste as ‘smooth over the middle’ and ‘great with wine and cheese’ (Redskin’s crowd favorites), although one taster cringed and proclaimed the pulped wide-receiver ‘bitter and overpriced!’.

The Washington Post reported today that Coles had asked Gibbs to leave the team and that the team promised to accommodate the request. Reports that over 40,000 cans of potted ‘Pate Coles’ were loaded onto FedEx vehicles enroute to FedEx Field early Monday afternoon could not be confirmed, although team officials did hint that season ticket holders utilizing their new Redskin’s Limited Edition Mastercard

would get the first opportunity at purchasing the product at a significant discount.

and he thought toe surgery was going to be painful

Originally posted by Tarhog

By Nunyo Businessio

Washington Provost Staff Writer

Monday, February 21, 2005; 8:54 PM

The Washington Redskins, unable to work out a plan to trade or release disgruntled wide receiver Laveranues Coles, have decided to grind the talented but unhappy wide receiver up and fashion him into a food product in an attempt to avoid releasing him and receiving nothing in return, according to an NFL source.

"Hopefully something will work out good for him and good for us," Coach Joe Gibbs said yesterday. ‘We’re hoping he tastes good on a cracker’ a highly-placed anonymous Redskin’s source stated, ‘we’ve done some focus group tests and they’ve described the yet-to-be-named paste as ‘smooth over the middle’ and ‘great with wine and cheese’ (Redskin’s crowd favorites), although one taster cringed and proclaimed the pulped wide-receiver ‘bitter and overpriced!’.

The Washington Post reported today that Coles had asked Gibbs to leave the team and that the team promised to accommodate the request. Reports that over 40,000 cans of potted ‘Pate Coles’ were loaded onto FedEx vehicles enroute to FedEx Field early Monday afternoon could not be confirmed, although team officials did hint that season ticket holders utilizing their new Redskin’s Limited Edition Mastercard

would get the first opportunity at purchasing the product at a significant discount.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Originally posted by garg8050

So what would be the cap hit if Coles does wave the $5 million bonus - which I'm sure he would do if he could be traded to a team he WANTS to play for- and we trade him instead of release him?

Was that part of the original SB or a roster bonus?

:laugh: Tarhog.

booma, you are just so intent on believing something you aren't seeing that which is front of you. Gibbs did not deny that the the team would simply release him. Gibbs said that the article was untrue and that as ofnow Coles is in the plans for being a Redskin. Demasio is trying to write himself out of a hole by going the trade route, ( a story that's already been done by ESPN and looks like ESPN's in some ways), and doing exactly what some here are doing. Reading between lines where there are no words.

Nice job of misusing quotes and backpeddling by Nunyo. :rolleyes:

It's akin to equating this:

The Redskins have a rivalry with Dallas.

"I hate everything about them", cornerback Fred Smoot said.

With this:

Fred Smoot hates the Redskins, and wants to leave the team.

"I hate everything about them", cornerback Fred Smoot said.

Whatever is true or not true... It's really pathetic how some people are so desperate to make something out of nothing. The fact that there is speculation about it makes you wonder, but Nunyo keeps backpeddling and using quotes out of context that it is truly laughable. We don't know all the facts, but the way Nunyo is using whatever "facts" he has assembled is pathetic.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

:laugh: Tarhog.

booma, you are just so intent on believing something you aren't seeing that which is front of you. Gibbs did not deny that the the team would simply release him. Gibbs said that the article was untrue and that as ofnow Coles is in the plans for being a Redskin. Demasio is trying to write himself out of a hole by going the trade route, ( a story that's already been done by ESPN and looks like ESPN's in some ways), and doing exactly some here are doing. Readin between lines where there are no words.

I believe that Coles won't be here, and Nunyo was the first to write it, he might have gotten it wrong on how he would leave the team, but the writing is on the wall and that Coles is gone.

Hearing what Bram said earlier makes it much clearer and what GM said as well.

The fact Gibbs had a press conference over this proves it. Like I said if it was completely false then he would have just issues a press conference not give clues to reporters.

One thing is for sure we will know by April 1st one way or another :)

Originally posted by jbooma

I believe that Coles won't be here, and Nunyo was the first to write it, he might have gotten it wrong on how he would leave the team, but the writing is on the wall and that Coles is gone.

An interesting sidenote to all this is how up in arms we all were last year when ND was a Skin's neophyte and gettin' scooped by every news organ in existence from the WT to the Mount Vernon Gazette....

Now he finally gets the jump on something and he poops all over it. Sucker just can't get it right.

Oh well. That's what he gets from graduating from the Jayson Blair School of Journalism.

- FUF

"Hopefully something will work out good for him and good for us," Coach Joe Gibbs said yesterday.

But Gibbs denied yesterday that the team would simply release Coles and a source said the team is frantically trying to trade him.

One NFL source said today that it would be "almost impossible" for the Redskins to trade Coles because the team would absorb a huge salary-cap hit. But Coles, who signed a seven-year, $35-million deal in 2002, would count for much less under the cap if he forfeited a $5 million bonus payment he is due April 1.

Curses! I have been foiled by premature scoop-ulation.

That damned Nunyo! :cuss:

The guy is unbelievable. He issues an article then figures he can hit the "Edit" button and go back and fix it? What does he think the Washington Post is, Extremeskins? "I mean... err, what I meant is... no, I was going to say..." Unbelievable, the guy.

Nunyo Businessio. :laugh: that's hilarious. Tarhog wins scoop of the day.

Seems to me that everyone is overreacting about the 9 million dollar cap hit. He's already on the books for over 3 million, so we're talking about an additional 6 (or just under 6) million. On top of that, the 5 million dollar SB installment seems too perfect to be coincidental. Something tells me that there's a loophole that either allows that proration to be passed on to any team he is traded to, or Coles can renounce the payment, knocking 5 mill off of the 9 mill cap hit, for a total of 4, or barely 900k more than we are paying now, which is chump change.

Originally posted by TheDane

Curses! I have been foiled by premature scoop-ulation.

That damned Nunyo! :cuss:

The guy is unbelievable. He issues an article then figures he can hit the "Edit" button and go back and fix it? What does he think the Washington Post is, Extremeskins? "I mean... err, what I meant is... no, I was going to say..." Unbelievable, the guy.

Nunyo Businessio. :laugh: that's hilarious. Tarhog wins scoop of the day.

He isn't rewriting it, if you go to washingpost.com the list each article.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

Seems to me that everyone is overreacting about the 9 million dollar cap hit. He's already on the books for over 3 million, so we're talking about an additional 6 (or just under 6) million. On top of that, the 5 million dollar SB installment seems too perfect to be coincidental. Something tells me that there's a loophole that either allows that proration to be passed on to any team he is traded to, or Coles can renounce the payment, knocking 5 mill off of the 9 mill cap hit, for a total of 4, or barely 900k more than we are paying now, which is chump change.

was 13 -3.7 =9.3 left ;)

You know what's hilarious? Following the train of Post headlines:

Best selling author Nunyo Businessio's First in his masterpiece Trilogy, The Lord of the Footinmouths:

1) The Lord of the Footinmouths: Redskins Likely to Release Coles

Followed by the tragic epic,

2) The Lord of the Footinmouths: Gibbs Denies Report of Wideout Coles's Imminent Release

Ending in the penultimate, thrilling finale:

3) The Lord of the Footinmouths: Redskins Attempting to Trade Coles

How will Nunyo follow up this farce? :laugh:

Originally posted by garg8050

So what would be the cap hit if Coles does wave the $5 million bonus - which I'm sure he would do if he could be traded to a team he WANTS to play for- and we trade him instead of release him?

In 2002 when I copied information to my harddrive from the newspapers, it said Coles signed a 7 year, $35.06 million contract, with a $13 Mil SB. It also said a $2.0 Mil roster bonus was payable, July, 2006 and 500k bonus in 2007. No mention of any bonuses payable in 2005.

Now the newspapers are saying there is a $5 Mil bonus of some sort payable on April 1st, 2005. :laugh:

So are the Skins shifting around bonus money or what? Who knows except the FO and Coles. :laugh:

Archived