Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Darrell Green Really The Best Corner Ever?

skin_finatic

:EDIT:

Lets put these Coles issues aside and talk about other stuff o.k.:D

When I think of great, great, great corners I always think of ODG, but no one else, like sports writers and commentators don't say anything about him....They like always mention Deion as the best corner ever and that just makes me sick. Darrell in my opinion is the greatest corner ever, just because he played his position 20 years effectivly! And how many pro bowls has he been to?( really i forgot), nfl's fastest man in his whole carreer or most of it anyways. And nothing but classy person.

I'm just sick of hearing Deion is the best ever. What do yall think about Darrell's place in the Top corners (best ever or just a top 5?) And if he and Deion(I hate him):puke:aren't the best ever...then who is?

First NFL player in game history to make at least one INT in 19 straight seasons.

First NFL player in game history to return an INT for a TD at age 37

First Redskin to run 40 yards in 4.2 seconds at the age of 40

First Redskin to play 20 straight seasons

First Redskin to play in 279 games

First Redskin to start in 254 games

First Redskin to make 54 INTs

First Redskin to return six INTs for TDs, Redskins record

First Redskin to return a fumble 78 yds for a TD; the longest in Redskins history

First regular season game was played on September 5, 1983 against Dallas

Final regular season game was played on December 29, 2002 against Dallas

First and oldest player in NFL history to play CB at age 41

Three Super Bowl appearances

Two Super Bowl victories

Seven Pro Bowl appearances

Four-time NFL Fastest Man

Five-time NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Tied for third among active players in NFL for INTs

Tied with four players for third on NFL all-time list for most seasons with one team

Made career-high five INTs in three different seasons

Made five INTs in playoffs

Speed Stats

Over the course of 25 years, Darrell clocked a 44.3 second 400-meter dash, 20.5 second 200-meter dash, 10.08 second 100-meter dash, and a 4.15 40-yard dash. In the summer of 2004, at the age of 44, Darrell showed that his techniques still work when he recorded a 4.36 40-yard dash during a running demonstration at a youth summer football camp.

If those stats dont do the trick this will:

96 NFL/True Value Man of the Year

’96 NFL Defensive Player of the Year

’96 Redskin Alumni Player of the Year

'96 Redskins Most Valuable Player

’96 Ken Houston Humanitarian Award

’96 NFL Bart Starr Award

’97 USA Today Most Caring Athlete Award

’97 Spring Good Sportsmanship Award

’98 Redskins Player of the Year

’99 Sporting News Good Guy Award

’00 US Chamber of Commerce Ten

Outstanding Young Americans Award

’01 Texas Sports Hall of Fame

’02 Named to 70 Greatest Redskins Team

Wouldn't it be something if Darrell declined his induction until Monk gets his? I know wishful thinking. Personally, yeah, I Think Green was the best corner ever. The powers that be look for flash though. For them being the best at your job comes second to looking good doing it.

well if you take into account the entire career as a CB then i think he is the best ever because he played at an elite/high level for such a long time...

however as much as i/we dont like him... deion had the greatest impact on the game as a CB during his peak 5-7 year period... too bad none of those peak years were with us...

Originally posted by MrSilverMaC

Lucky for us to have so many good players at so many different positions.

And thats very cool that he began his carrer against dallas, and ended it there.

That was our recent win against dallas if I'm correct, right?:dallasuck :wewantd:

Look it up in the Game Database.

;)

I love D. Green. I think I saw every game he played in his career. He's clearly a first ballot hall of famer if the writers have any sense.

However, I think overall Mike Haynes was a more complete player. He was selected to nine Pro Bowls in his career. It is true that Haynes did not play as long as Green. At 6-2, he could cover tall WRs well. Any Skins fan who is old enough should remember what he and Lester Hayes did to Monk and the rest of the Skins' receivers in the Super Bowl.

As much as Skins' fans loathe him, Deion Sanders was an impact player at the position. He clearly took Snyder to the cleaners, but as a playmaker and game changer, you cannot overlook Deion's effect on a game.

One other name to research is Jimmy Johnson (not the coach). I never saw him play, but people who really know football say he was outstanding. He played for the 49ers in the 60s and 70s and was another tall corner at approximately 6-2.

I hope my fellow Skins' fans do not take this post the wrong way. I love Darrell, but to say he's the best CB in NFL history is certainly not an open and shut case.

Originally posted by MrSilverMaC

Lol, it was kind of a rhetorical question, but I looked it up, and I believe I'm right.;)

:dallasuck

You were, but you'd be surprised how many people don't know about the databases here.

Archived