Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The WR "need" -- does everyone have amnesia?

I've written repeatedly about the need for a true #1 WR, suggesting such FAs as McCardell, Jackson and Westbrook. For this service, I've been almost universally shouted down in this forum.

I'm not going to rehash my reasons here, but I thought I'd throw in one more thought. According to media sources, the Redskins entered the draft with exactly *two* players on their top wish list:

1. Harrington

2. Donte Stallworth

(Spurrier went so far as to personally work out Stallworth in Tennessee, when he did almost no such other draft preparation.)

They apparently tried to work trades to get in position for either player, but failed.

Other media reports suggested the team wouldn't mind getting one of the four top DTs, but they all went early. So we traded down and got Ramsey, which I'm happy with for the moment.

Now, if the team thought it was worth mortgaging the draft to get a WR (getting Stallworth probably would have cost our #1 plus either #2 or #3), why does this forum think it's absolutely ridiculous to get a FA WR that would cost us only cap space?

Right, Stallworth would have been young and exceptionally fast, yada yada yada. The key point here is that the team perceived an immediate need at WR, in addition to the obvious need at QB. They perceived that need as being *more important* than the need at DT or guard. And they perceived all this *after* Spurrier had previously acquired his other FA WRs.

I'm siding with the team on this one.

Geoff

Forgot to add.... Obviously the team ended up drafting Cliff Russell anyway. But even the team said Russell was at best a diamond in the rough, a project with great raw speed.

If getting a WR who could play immediately wasn't a priority, the team never would have thought of offering so much for one receiver who could step in immediately (Stallworth).

Geoff

I haven't been following the WR debate very closely, but has anyone pointed out the fact that Derrius Thompson and Reidel Anthony are slotted at $563K and $525K respectively? One or both could be released at any time with no negative impact on the cap because neither received signing bonuses. A veteran like McCardell, Jackson, or [gasp] Westbrook could be signed and basically assume the same cap number, but also be a definite upgrade over Thompson and Anthony. I think it's safe to assume that neither of these two receivers will emerge as starters but for comparable $$$, veterans that COULD challenge could take their places.

Check out this comparison and see which scenario puts us in a better position. This assumes that Spurrier will carry 6 receivers on the active roster.

CURRENT DEPTH:

1. Rod Gardner

2. Jacquez Green

3. Kevin Lockett

4. Cliff Russell

5. Reidel Anthony

6. Derrius Thompson

CUT-- Darnerian McCants, Chris Doering, Justin Skaggs, and

Emmett Johnson

DEPTH AFTER SIGNING A VETERAN, RELEASING THOMPSON AND ANTHONY:

1. Rod Gardner

2. Jacquez Green

3. JUNE 1 VETERAN (Jackson, McCardell, Westbrook, Freeman)

4. Kevin Lockett

5. Cliff Russell

6. Darnerian McCants, Chris Doering, Justin Skaggs, or Emmett Johnson

Originally posted by dchogs

i seriously doubt mccardell, jackson, or westbrook will come to us for the vet minimum like anthony/thompson are earning.

Jackson and Westbrook haven't found homes yet, and will be worse off after June 1 when the WR market is flooded with more talent. The longer they float, the greater the chance they will be forced to accept one of those 1 year, $750K deals where they get a small SB and account for $450K against our cap. McCardell and Freeman would be pricier, but could be had for a cap number of just over $1 million on a multi-year deal-- the combined space opened up by dumping Thompson and Anthony.

A number of things are going to make the receivers better this season. Yes, I agree that acquiring McCardell after June 1 for his veteran experience and work ethic is something we should consider strongly. I think Willie Jackson is another possibility, but could be too expensive.

At the same time, you have to factor in: 1) Rod Gardner has a year under his belt and after being taken #15 and putting up decent numbers on a bad offensive team deserves some benefit of the doubt that 2002 will be a breakout year for him 2) other receivers such as Jacquez Green and Reidel Anthony have BOTH put up 50+ catch seasons in the NFL despite playing on Tampa teams with questionable quarterbacks. While neither is a #1 receiver, both can be quite prodcutive given their familiarity with this offense 3) this team is in the process of trying to groom a quarterback for the future. Matthews is a stopgap. The best time to develop the younger receivers is now, BEFORE Ramsey is ready to step in so that they can be productive assets for him as he learns what qb'ing in the NFL is all about.

So, the cupboard is not so much empty as it is just empty of a proven star. :)

That doesn't mean there aren't players that will step up and be productive.

Remember in 1981 we had 4 new players starting on the offensive line and EVERYONE thought we were foolish for going that young at such a critical spot on the team.

A year later 3 of those same linemen were hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in SBXVII.

Grimm was a #3 pick, Bostic an undrafted free agent cut by the Eagles, Jacoby another rookie free agent.

Only Mark May on the offensive line as the 1981 #1 pick was a blue-chipper by the standards of the day.

And if I am not mistaken May probably ended up having the LEAST distinguised career of the 4 players listed. :D

I think Gardner is up to the task of being a #1 WR. I personally think were decent at WR, McCardell, Jackson, and that other guy aren't #1 caliber imo anyway. All we should be focusing on now is both sides of the line and getting the rookies signed on time.

My guess is that the team wanted Stallworth because the braintrust considered him a superlative talent, and not so much because they out-and-out needed a receiver.

The FA receivers probably aren't viewed as being the potential gamebreaker that Stallworth is anticipated to be.

I just don't see the team's desire to draft Stallworth as an indicator that they are desperate (or, at least not as desperate as YOU) to add a wideout. They may still do so, but I don't think it's at the top of their priority list.

Have you tried e-mailing the team president? He seems to be very accessible and responsive to fans. Maybe he'll take up your banner and forward your concerns to the appropriate people.:D

from budda: McCardell and Freeman would be pricier, but could be had for a cap number of just over $1 million on a multi-year deal-- the combined space opened up by dumping Thompson and Anthony.

good point there budda...i wasn't thinking combined...guess that's why you're the coach and i'm the water boy. but it is high quality H2O

In S Double's offense is there really a number one Receiver when the system is a read an react in 3 WR and 4 WR sets?

I'd rather go with what we have at WR and stop sweating old name players.

3 WR set can be right now Gardner, Green and Lockett/Anthony

Redzone WRs can be Gardner, Green, Skaggs/DMac/Derrius, and Lockett

I am very very pleased with our current wideouts. I would have been happy with Stallworth, because he's got blazing speed and he has his whole career ahead of him. That would have given us a tremendous young pair of wideouts.

My prediction on the WR's that make the final roster - there will be 6 of them.

1. Gardner

2. Jackson (will be signed after June 1 - recent communication with an NFL scout has this as a 60/40 possibility)

3. Green

4. Lockett

5. Russell

6. Here's my roughie - Emmett Johnson - if not Johnson it would be Anthony or McCants with Johnson going to the practice squad.

By the way we paid Emmett Johnson $20,000 in signing bonus as an UDFA - he was about to sign with the Chargers for $12,500 but the FO upped the bonus. The mail is this kid is a much better prospect than Cliff Russell.

well, PC, I sure hope that Johnson is NOT a better prospect than Cliff Russell. Otherwise we just wasted a #3 pick :)

wide receiver is just such a hard position to handicap. There are a lot of disappointments and a lot of guys that do come out of nowhere.

remember Steve Largent being available in the expansion draft?

Rod Smith was what, a #6 draft pick?

McCardell was a late pick by the Skins in 1991 and got lost in the shuffle behind the Posse.

Green's contract is written so that it is a one-year make or break deal and then he will be a free agent again.

I don't anticipate him being replaced in the starting lineup unless McCardell or Jackson is brought in for veteran leadership.

We didn't necessarily waste a 3rd round pick if both end up our starters down the track some and produce ;)

McCardell was an 11th round choice in 1991 I think!

If Green gets 40+ catches he's a free agent after 2002.

Jackson for a reasonable contract would be the icing on the cake here!

based on what we have heard and seen so far, with no changes I think Jacquez Green is likely to be one of the surprises in the NFC this season.

He is the most talented of the ex-Gators that Spurrier brought in and was wooed by the Rams and new Bucs' coach Jon Gruden because they saw that ability as well.

He seemed to slide back into his old playbook with ease at the minicamps and with 4.3 speed would appear to be the Redskins' best chance of fielding a CREDIBLE deep threat in 2002.

Yes, Russell may be even faster, but has not yet proven that he can hold onto the football............

I think Gardner may breakout this season and become a serious recieving threat. I find it funny that Skins fans seem to eager to write him off, yet I've talked to fans of other teams in our division who are afraid of how well he may be this season.

Think about it. All he really needs to do is improve his catching. And working with Spurrier's staff, I see a big chance of that happening.

While I wouldn't mind the addition of jackson or mccardell, i've got to say, there are much more pressing needs. Some vet leadership would be nice, but so would an OG and a DT. I think Green gives us the vet presence we need. Gardner will improve, a lot hopefully, and with all the young blood, is there room for a vet? I say no. Spnd the $$ on the OG so that Matthews actually has time to throw the ball and Davis actually has a hole to run through. Thank you come again:high:

Just my thoughts,

ATLSkin, Even if we don't have a true #1 , there are more pressing needs at hand, we dont need the #1 recieving core in the NFC east to wins games, we need a good team and the team would be better served in other positions.

Emmett Johnson is a lot like lockett, decent but nothing spectacular, remember he wasnt even the #1 at VT

I think spurrier is just after speedy recievers who can spread the field and others who know his system, don't be suprised if he tries to do what the rams do, thats when you have to wonder where smashmouth stephen davis fits in, although davis has had much better hands lately.

We need a starting DT muuuuch more then an OG in my opinion, I miss that runstuffing DE we used to have, what was his name, Anthony Mason or Brown or something i think.

Archived