Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Eagles/Falcons -- the weather helps which team?

MikeB

Updated forcast is for 15-25 mph winds with gusts up to 40. Temp 15-20 degrees, wind chill as low as -10.

Which team does this favor?

I know we've beaten this around before, but those winds are strong and going to have an impact on the passing and kicking games.

Atlanta by far has the running game advantage, does this come into play at all tomorrow...

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I think it helps Philly. It will slow down Vick and Dunn while hurting the Falcons passing game which isn't that potent to begin with.

Exactly. With Dunn and Vick slipping in the snow, ATL will have to rely on Duckett. Advantage-Philly

Alge Crumpler will be the key to the Falcons success. If he can demand extra coverage in the middle ATl should be able to run the ball effectivly. Snow or no snow.

Originally posted by steveskins

Contrary to popular belief, Snow and Rain helps the passing game.

That's correct. Well what it does is create mistakes by the defense that result in big plays. Generally for both teams assuming the either QB can throw the ball even a little bit effectively.

Heavy rain or snow only brings Philadelphia down to Atlanta's level, gives Atlanta's offense and special teams more opportunity for big plays than they would normally have.

The weather obviously helps the eagles. The Vikings can't pass. Ya stack the box with nine and let Vick attempt to pass down the field.

Food for thought. Vicks numbers ACROSS THE BOARD, are worse than his 2002 season EXCEPT for rushing. Face it people. he's "slash" part deux!

Originally posted by phanatic

The weather obviously helps the eagles. The Vikings can't pass. Ya stack the box with nine and let Vick attempt to pass down the field.

Food for thought. Vicks numbers ACROSS THE BOARD, are worse than his 2002 season EXCEPT for rushing. Face it people. he's "slash" part deux!

C'mon... convince yourself... :rolleyes:

Wind messes up a passing team. The eagles will have to do more running than they have in the season. and they are absent a big back.

Atlanta will ride Ducketts back. If he can move the chains... the Falcons have a good chance.

40 mph winds?..... very little passing will take place

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2004/01/22/bc.fbn.conferencechampi.ap/index.html/

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Put away those cleats and break out the ice skates.

A major winter storm dumped several inches of snow in Philadelphia on Saturday, forcing hundreds of stadium workers into duty to clear out Lincoln Financial Field before Sunday's NFC championship game between the Eagles and Atlanta Falcons.

Across the state, just a few inches of snow fell in Pittsburgh one day before the Steelers hosted the New England Patriots in the AFC title game at Heinz Field.

The Falcons arrived in Philadelphia early Saturday afternoon after moving their flight up 4 1/2 hours to avoid travel delays. The Patriots averted any problems by leaving Friday night.

"I think when it's all said and done, it comes down to playing the game," Eagles coach Andy Reid said.

However, slippery field conditions could work in Philadelphia's favor against Atlanta's strong running attack, neutralizing quarterback Michael Vick's speed and elusiveness and slowing speedy running back Warrick Dunn.

"I think he'll have more of an advantage if it's good footing out there," Eagles defensive end Jevon Kearse said of Vick. "Hopefully, it'll be bad footing for someone like Vick."

Steelers running back Jerome Bettis welcomed a wet surface in Pittsburgh, though he wasn't expected to get his wish.

"I'm a mudder," he said. "A fast track doesn't do much for me. The worse the field, the better for me."

About one foot snow was expected to fall in Philadelphia before Sunday's 3 p.m. kickoff, but city officials said the field and stadium should be completely cleared out. More than 750 workers were on standby with 975 shovels and 65 tons of ice-melt. The field at the Linc was covered by a tarp and heated to 70 degrees.

As many as 200 workers stayed busy at Heinz Field cleaning snow off seats and ramps. The field, also covered with a tarp, was not likely to be affected.

Once the snow clears out, a game-time temperature of 18 with a minus-7 wind chill factor is predicted in Philadelphia. Forecasters are calling for 16-degree temperatures and a wind chill around 10 for the early evening game in Pittsburgh.

The cold weather is nothing out of the ordinary for late January and three of the teams are accustomed to dealing with harsh elements. The Falcons, however, play in a dome.

"I think that both teams have to go out and handle the environment, no matter what that environment is," Atlanta rookie coach Jim Mora said. "When you're a good football team, and I think that these are two good football teams, the environment is a factor that other people worry about more than the players on the field and the coaches on the sideline. I think that to be great, you have to be able to play in any conditions."

The Patriots have won 15 of their last 17 games in temperatures of 35 or below. The Steelers are 5-2 in the same kind of weather the last three seasons.

The Eagles are 8-1 at home this season, and the Falcons were 4-4 on the road.

"Regardless of weather, we're coming to play football," Vick said. "Football is played in all types of conditions: rain, sleet, snow or whatever. You have to go out and play the game."

Blondie

However, slippery field conditions could work in Philadelphia's favor against Atlanta's strong running attack, neutralizing quarterback Michael Vick's speed and elusiveness and slowing speedy running back Warrick Dunn.

and what does it do for Westbrook & McNabb :doh:

the REAL problem will be the wind. it will effect passing, and the kicking game

Originally posted by phanatic

That is a moronic statement... the weather helps the Eagles? Atlanta is the number one rushing team in the LEAGUE... cold weather is for running teams not passing teams... If the Eagles DBs come up for run support it will be a long day for the Eagles...

Vick is a bad QB... Vick is a bad Qb... whatever dude... without Vick there's no Atlanta... without Vick, teams would have spent just 1 hour preparing for Atlanta...

You are probarbly the same type of Moron that would not consider Tom Brady a great QB... simply because he is not flashy...

I don't think either team is a snow and rain team. So, it doesn't matter. This isn't New England who thrives in the stuff.

It will come down to who can run the ball....and which team has more defenders falling on their a$$es while going after somebody.

I think Philly has used the pass more....so if McNabb can scramble for a few more 1st downs than he has all season...they'll be ok.

Honestly, with this time of cold, wind and whatever. I think its really a toss up. Its whoever turns if over.....and whoever makes less mistakes.

Archived