Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Moss Trade Scenarios

Monk in the Hall!

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2004/edholm012005.htm

Following Schefter's lead, here are five Moss trades to think about

By Eric Edholm (eedholm@pfwmedia.com)

Jan. 20, 2005

admit: I was a little jealous that Adam Schefter had the monster scoop of last offseason. In fact, it might have been one of the great scoops of NFL journalism annals. Actually, it was a pre-scoop … I think.

Schefter, then a Denver Post columnist and PFW correspondent, wrote last February that the Broncos should trade disgruntled RB Clinton Portis to the Redskins for free-agent CB Champ Bailey. Made a whole lot of sense. Turns out some Redskins and Broncos officials paid attention.

See, the column came before the trade. And though other considerations — a second-round pick — were thrown in to appease Denver, it was basically what Schefter envisioned: superstar for superstar, straight up.

According to Schefter, he had no knowledge of the trade ahead of time — it was just something he came up with.

“It just made sense to me at the time,” Schefter told PFW Thursday morning. “I guess I kind of nailed that one in advance, eh?”

I guess you could say that. It’s the column we all wish we had written.

Eleven months ago Schefter became the talk of the Indianapolis Scouting Combine with his prediction that eventually became true. The way I am thinking, I am hoping for maybe a free mai tai or a trip through the Wingate Inn buffet line down in Jacksonville for the Super Bowl if someone recognizes the brilliance of my prognostications.

Ahem.

So anyway, there are five potential trades I’d like to throw out there (hey, it’s a little early to pick just one trade) for this year’s Portis, Vikings WR Randy Moss. Following yet another season of malcontentedness and pissed-off teammates and coaches, Moss appears to have written off his own future in Minneapolis. With Nate Burleson emerging as a No. 1 option for Daunte Culpepper, the team can send Moss off to distant places — and get some much-needed defensive help (or draft picks) in return.

Actually, Moss is not this year’s Portis; that might be unfair to Portis. But the obvious similarities are clear: Moss is a superstar who likely will have a new address next year via trade.

So here are my five mock trades — with absolutely no insider information whatsoever. God willing, some bored GM somewhere is reading this:

Jets — Why not give new offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger a fun new toy? Boy, wouldn’t that peeve Paul Hackett? Still, Hackett had to go; and if you’re going to pay Heimerdinger a million bucks to run your offense, why not put Randy Moss at flanker, giving him a true deep threat to make Justin McCareins a more dangerous split end, and make Santana Moss a real weapon inside at the slot, where he can feast on nickel backs all game. Isn’t this what Chad Pennington needs? Pennington — Randy Moss’ college quarterback at Marshall — can relate to Moss and is sure to at least whisper the idea to coach Herm Edwards, a guy I suspect could also handle the high-maintenance receiver. How about packaging free-agent OLB-DE John Abraham, who is starting to become persona non grata with his playoff no-show, and a second-rounder to Minnesota (which might go to a 3-4 defense — perfect for Abraham) for Moss?

Redskins — This baby has Daniel Snyder written all over it. He thought bringing back Joe Gibbs was a home run last offseason? Whoa, baby, this one would be right up there. In fact, it might generate even more talk than the return of Gibbs. Whereas Gibbs’ hiring was seen, nearly universally, as a major coup, bringing in Moss would be far more controversial and possibly more beneficial. Gibbs couldn’t get anything going offensively last season. Could it be that Moss would make a bigger difference to the Redskins’ passing game than Gibbs has so far? Could be. The two happiest men in Washington would be Patrick Ramsey and Clinton Portis. And Laveranues Coles too, just not right away perhaps. Imagine the possibilities. Moss becomes Art Monk, Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders all in one. That gives Ramsey a receiver who can go deep and catch those rockets he so badly wants to throw and opens up the running game for Portis, who was bottled up so many times last season. With ORT Jon Jansen back and only a few adjustments needed beyond that to the offense, you’d have a scary combination. The price? Well, it seems to me that a defense that was second in yards allowed without LaVar Arrington for much of the season could stand to lose their once-untradable commodity. I’d throw in a third-rounder (they have no second) or a second next year. I wouldn’t give up my No. 9 overall pick, which might have to be used to replace CB Fred Smoot or find a D-lineman. Guaranteeing the $7.25 million that Moss is due next year would prevent the team from entering salary-cap hell and leave Moss’ cap number much more manageable.

Cardinals — Now, I am not as sold on this destination as everyone else might be. I know Denny Green drafted Moss and has a special kinship with the receiver. But look at the Cardinals’ situation: They have spent first-round picks on receivers the past two seasons (Bryant Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald) and have the 2003 Rookie of the Year in Anquan Boldin, who started to look like his old self at the end of last season after coming back from injury. Unless the Vikings would be willing to take Johnson off the Vikings’ hands — and not more than one of Arizona’s young defenders: Darnell Dockett, Bert Berry or Adrian Wilson — I can’t see a deal here. But you can’t overlook the Denny Factor, which might weigh heavy. If the Cardinals want to make a splash (really, when have they ever done that?), Moss would be the guy to fill the stands and get the local fever going with the team. Sure, a quarterback would be nice, but getting a receiver first might be able to tell you how good Josh McCown really is.

Ravens — The team looked at — and briefly had — Terrell Owens last offseason, and it’s as clear now as ever that this team needs a big playmaker on offense. Jamal Lewis handles the tough yards. Now this team needs a face-lift offensively, and it starts with a receiver who can open things up. Instead of running to set up the run, why not get a guy who can help the pass set up the run. Novel idea, isn’t it? Kyle Boller has been asked to be a game manager, a role he’s not entirely comfortable with, so instead of punishing this guy by making him throw to receivers who can’t separate from average defensive backs, why not give him a game-changer? With Ray Lewis the team sheriff, Moss likely would be on his best behavior — the same factor that gave the team the confidence to trade for Owens before he was usurped. Moss and Clarence Moore would give the team a pair of big receivers, and it would allow Moore to develop at a proper pace. And the team has a pair of potential free agents, CB Gary Baxter and ILB Ed Hartwell, who could make nice homes in Minnesota if the Ravens might be willing to sweeten the deal with a draft pick — something they'd likely be up for.

Giants or Buccaneers — OK, I lied. I am throwing two teams in here as my fifth possible trade scenario because I suspect one of the two is not a legitimate option. The Giants sorely, badly, desperately need a big TD producer for QB Eli Manning. Talk about night and day: The Giants’ receivers combined for one measly receiving touchdown last season; Moss alone might get 14 in New York with Manning. That would make TE Jeremy Shockey and RB Tiki Barber major weapons and make Manning happy. That’s a playoff team right there. But would Ernie Accorsi, close to retirement, really make this move? Would he leave the Giants — never known to make these kinds of moves — with that as his last big move instead of the Manning deal? Doubtful. Plus, Minnesota likely would demand DE Osi Umenyiora, the guy Accorsi would not give up to the Chargers in the Manning deal. And the Bucs? Long shots, too. I just think it will cross Jon Gruden’s mind at least once this offseason: Randy Moss … Michael Clayton … hmmm. Worth a thought, and probably not much more. The Bucs have other needs at running back and defensive tackle, and they have a No. 5 pick — something they likely won’t give up — to worry about.

It was just a thought. Much like this column.

the Vikings would be looking for the Redskins #9 pick. I don't see any way this deal comes off with Washington keeping its first pick.

Arrington is untradeable and while we could deal a defensive player such as Sean Taylor that has a very good upside and fits the Vikings' needs, I don't see that happening.

Originally posted by jakehunter

Moss needs someone to throw the ball to him. Doesn't he? Ramsey is solid, but to use Moss in his full capacity you need a better QB.

You've got to be kidding me. You want to know how to use Moss to his full capacity? Drop back, throw as far as you can, catch, repeat.

bubba, you are the man.

Guys, I really want Randy Moss. At first I was hesitant (like many others here), but good lord...it's RANDY FRIGGIN MOSS!

Now, I do NOT want to part with Arrington, but I would not mind franchising Smoot, shipping him, Rod, and our 1st rounder for Moss. If I am the Vikings that is a deal I cannot pass up.

I hate all these quick fixes that Redskins fans and Snyder are punch drunk about every off season...Build Chemistry...Sounds like the Deion Bruce Smith hyped up trade...but Moss is a lot younger and better but still.

Lets build through the draft...pick Mike Williams. At the end of the day if Gibbs can get himself to throw more than 10 yards downfield even God cant help us.

Special Teams Ace

(1.48 Posts Per Day)

- Platinum Contributor

posted on January-21st-2005 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chet06 Click here to Send chet06 a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

I hate all these quick fixes that Redskins fans and Snyder are punch drunk about every off season...Build Chemistry...Sounds like the Deion Bruce Smith hyped up trade...but Moss is a lot younger and better but still.

Lets build through the draft...pick Mike Williams. At the end of the day if Gibbs cant get himself to throw more than 10 yards downfield even God cant help us.

Originally posted by chet06

Special Teams Ace

(1.48 Posts Per Day)

- Platinum Contributor

posted on January-21st-2005 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chet06 Click here to Send chet06 a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Lets build through the draft...pick Mike Williams. At the end of the day if Gibbs cant get himself to throw more than 10 yards downfield even God cant help us.

What, did your computer crap out on ya?

Randy Moss gives his football to a guy in a wheelchair after he scores a TD. I think thats about all the character we'll need.

Yeah the "I play when I want to play" thing was lame but if you do remember Moss went on an interview and explained that and it was, once again, the media twisting his words around.

I'd take Moss if the cap hit wasn't substantial for Smoot plus our 1st round pick. We're losing Smoot anyway and I doubt our 1st pick will be anywhere near as good as Moss is.

I'd rather see Arrington with this team, and especially this defense, for many years.

If GIBBS says do it, I'd be willing for say this year's 1st and next year's 2nd and hopefully be able to re-coup some picks from Gardner and McCants.

.....I somehow could really see him in Oakland.

Archived