Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gary Clark vs. Michael Irvin

grego

I would like Gary Clark and Art Monk to get in, but it wont happen. Itd be nice to have a JMU student actually make the HoF, unless Charles Haley makes it in. Just a travesty really, I think they should just let in a lot of people this year, mostly everyone there earned the right.

I guess you've never heard of Charley Taylor.

There was a fella by the name of Bobby Mitchell that played the lion's share of his career opposite Taylor.

If Taylor and Mitchell were in the NFL today, they would be posting Harrison/Owens-type stats -- without a doubt.

Originally posted by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Why aren't Clark's numbers HOF material?

Did you look at Irvin's numbers?

I guess thats somewhat indicative of Irvins numbers not being as dominant as one would expect more so than Clarks numbers being HOF worthy- that is to say, by todays standards (which is unfair, I think- you have to compare apples to apples, Clark and Irvin with their contemporaries) the numbers are not mind blowing. Irvins best season was a 10 TD season, followed by a 9 TD season and a couple of 8 TD seasons. Jerry Rice, between 86 and 95, only had one season where he had less than 10 TD's- he had 13 TD's in his next to worst year during that span, not to mention 8 rushing TD's. But then, thats Jerry Rice. Still, Rices stats compared to his contemporary Irvins are beyond dominant. They're not even close.

Other contemporaries beat Irvins #'s as well. Former Ram and Skins Henry Ellard has better numbers than Irvin in every major category except TD's- he has 65 like Irvin and Clark. Andre Reeds #'s dwarf Irvins.

No doubt, Clark and Irvin were both very good- among the best of their day. Slingin Sammy brought up a great point about Clarks USFL career- account for that year, and Clarks #'s are better than Irvins.

It's also interesting that Irvin had a HOF QB throwing to him and a HOF RB to take pressure off him.

Some players cant be judged by stats. I think Gark Clark is one of them. From what i remember, on 3rd and longs....we went to clark. He was so clutch. I remember gary by his toughness, running across the middle, taking huge hits by guys twice his size. You have to love that, maybe thats why Coles is one of my favorites. I would take Clark over michael irvin neday.

Originally posted by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Thing is, Monk was the #1 receiver and Clark was #2. Irvin didn't have any other awesome receivers around him. If he did, his numbers wouldn't be as good.

This argument can actually work both ways. Absent a great receiver opposite of him means he had to fight through more double coverages earning tougher catches and yards.

I honestly believe that both Monk and Irvin deserve to be in. I am capable of acknowledging that great players from teams, including rivalry teams deserve to be recognized for their accomplishments.

Originally posted by cphil006

Clark caught a lot of passes for playing with Monk and Sanders as well. He obviously wan;t the only target, where as Irvin really was besides Michael Harper. Gary Clark also played in the USFL. Those numbers shoudl be taken into consideration as well...

Thats true, remember its called the PRO football hall of fame. Not the NFL Hall of fame.PRO

Originally posted by cphil006

Clark caught a lot of passes for playing with Monk and Sanders as well. He obviously wan;t the only target, where as Irvin really was besides Michael Harper. Gary Clark also played in the USFL. Those numbers shoudl be taken into consideration as well...

Exactly.

That might be evened out a bit by Irvin's career being cut short.

Originally posted by DallasInDC

I honestly believe that both Monk and Irvin deserve to be in. I am capable of acknowledging that great players from teams, including rivalry teams deserve to be recognized for their accomplishments.

The problem is this though, Monk should already be in the Hall of Fame.

Clark is a lock for the HOF. All the arguments against Monk that he wasn't a big play guy can't be applied to Clark because that's exactly who he was, our big play guy. Some of his RAC were pure magic. You don't have to look any further than the Super Bowl appearances he had to see an example of that. Clark will get in.

Monk, I dunno. I'm losing faith. When you heard announcers talk about him during the games, "future hall of famer" was a common phrase attached to his name. Now it seems like there are all sorts of excuses. Recently Mike Lupica (New York Journalist) said he watched film on Monk and "he never mad my heart race". Sports writers voting on which players get in is a seriously flawed system.

Originally posted by DallasInDC

I honestly believe that both Monk and Irvin deserve to be in. I

I think nobody argues with that. Their numbers are actually a mirror reflection of each other. People's hang up is if Irvin gets in on the first try and Monk gets overlooked....again.

Clark could finally make it someday. He'll be like Stallworth or Elvin Bethea and will probably be one of those that has to wait 20-30 years.

1_mon_grimm.jpg

I am glad to see this topic finally come up. Gary's #'s are hall of fame worthy, look at some of his YPC numbers during some of those years. Gary always had big games when it mattered most and he always went across the middle and made the tough catches. I am not making a case against Irvin, but if he makes it before Monk that is just plain sick. My point is, if Irvin goes, then Gary does. People like to nominate these players who played for dynasties. That is why Swann and Stallworth are in there. The Redskins were a major force for over a decade playing in four and winning three Super Bowls. How in the hell these guys made it over Monk, who knows. It is truly an injustice. Hopefully later on, some of our deserving guys like some of the Hogs and Gary can get in. Monk HAS to be in within the next couple of years.

Gary Clark is my all time favourite player, he was the big play guy for the 'Skins in my early years of watching them and he played with heart and emotion, kinda like Smoot on D now, Clark was like that for the O in the 80's.

The thing that knocked me sick was that when the provisional list came out for the HOF this year he wasn't even on it!!!?? Why?? Mark Clayton and Louis Lipps were on it!! He has been retired 5+ years so why??

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

Gary Clark is my all time favourite player, he was the big play guy for the 'Skins in my early years of watching them and he played with heart and emotion, kinda like Smoot on D now, Clark was like that for the O in the 80's.

The thing that knocked me sick was that when the provisional list came out for the HOF this year he wasn't even on it!!!?? Why?? Mark Clayton and Louis Lipps were on it!! He has been retired 5+ years so why??

Louis Lipps? You have to be kidding.

359 6,019 16.8 39td

22 fumbles

In comparison Monk had 12 fumbles and 3x as many touches, Clark had 9 fumbles and Irvin had 7.

Archived