Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gary Clark vs. Michael Irvin

grego

Heard Czaban or somebody talking about their #'s yesterday. Interesting.

Clark- 699 Rec, 10,856 yds, 15.5 per rec, 65 TD's, 4 pro bowls, 2 rings

Irvin- 750 Rec, 11,904 yds, 15.9 per rec, 65 TD's, 5 pro bowls, 3 rings

Irvins #'s are better, but not by much. Shouldnt hurt Clark that he was more durable- I think he always played in at least 14 games a year over his 11 year career.

Of course, Monk should be in ahead of both of them. :cool:

Problem is...I think with the explosion of receivers over the last few years it's going to make it difficult for our older guys to get in. I remember being amazed that Monk caught 106 passes in one year.

Now...that's nothing. Even RB's are catching 100 passes a year. And WR's are reaching beyond the 1500 yd mark.

I would love to see Monk and Clark in....just don't think Clark will make it.

I know one thing...when Art does make it I'm going to Canton. Been looking for an excuse to take the family out there for vacation :) That would do it...

Originally posted by grego

Heard Czaban or somebody talking about their #'s yesterday. Interesting.

Clark- 699 Rec, 10,856 yds, 15.5 per rec, 65 TD's, 4 pro bowls, 2 rings

Irvin- 750 Rec, 11,904 yds, 15.9 per rec, 65 TD's, 5 pro bowls, 3 rings

Irvins #'s are better, but not by much. Shouldnt hurt Clark that he was more durable- I think he always played in at least 14 games a year over his 11 year career.

Of course, Monk should be in ahead of both of them. :cool:

Playoff games:

Irvin (16 games) 87 rec, 1314 yds, 15.1 ypc, 8 TDs

Clark (13 games) 58 rec, 826 yds, 14.2 ypc, 6 TDs

Monk (15 games) 69 rec, 1062 yds, 15.4 ypc, 7 TDs

I'd like to point out right here that neither of them had as high a ypc as Monk in the playoffs. Monk, the guy who never stepped up in big games ... ahem.

Superbowl numbers:

Irvin (3 games) 16 rec, 255 yds, 15.9 ypc, 2 TDs

Clark (2 games) 10 rec, 171 yds, 17.1 ypc, 2 TDs

Monk (3 games) 9 rec, 179 yds, 17.9 ypc, 0 TDs

Of course, Monk was hurt in one of those SBs and only played a few snaps.

I think it's interesting that it seems to be a knock on Clark and Monk that they played together and had to share stats for much of their careers, whereas in the case Swann and Stallworth it's looked on as an excuse.

Originally posted by skns4life

well yes Irvin did more in less time...but those are good numbers for Clark...do you think he'll ever be considered for the HOF...im sure there are some recievers with less stats then clark in the HOF

I doubt Clark will ever get in- especially since Monk isn't in yet. He's got decent #'s, but probably not HOF #'s.

Of course, neither Monk nor Clark had the benefit of pushing off that Irvin got- dude was the master of that. Not hating- calling it like I saw it.

Thing is, Monk was the #1 receiver and Clark was #2.

In the 8 years that Art Monk and Gary Clark played together in Washington, Art Monk totalted 545 receptions for 7,372 yards and 41 TDs. He led the team in receptions 3 times, in receiving yards once, and never in TD receptions.

Clark totalled 549 receptions for 8,742 yards and 58 TDs. He led the team in receptions 4 times, in receiving yardgage 5 times, and in TD receptions 7 times.

You tell me who the #1 receiver was in that time period.

Wow. Great find guys. That's what I love about this site. you guys back it up with the facts. based on those numbers than yes Clark SHOULD be in, if Irvin gets in. MONK SHOULD ALREADY BE IN.

The problem with Art is, he's a model citizen. He needs to get arrested, so he can qualify for the hall.:rolleyes:

I see Gary Clark falling into the John Stallworth syndrome. Stallworth was a stud WR and was over shadowed by Swann. It took a lot of people pulling for Stallworth to get him in. Clark will take longer than Stallworth "if ever". Monk has to get in... and I hope it's this year. My gosh, weren't those the good days with Monk, Sander, Clark, Didier and Warren !!!

With all due respect to Art Monk and his greatness, Gary Clark was actually my favorite among the "Posse" of receivers. I admired the edge that he played with and his ability to make the tough catches across the middle despite his diminuitive stature.

He is still one of my favorites of all time.

OK here the numbers so we have them straight.

Irvin 1988-1999 12 seasons (lost most of 12th with injury)

Clark 1985-1995 11 seasons (a 12th in the USFL:)

Clarks totals including USFL: 765 receptions... 11,677 yards...67 TDs

All three numbers are right on line with Irvin's. Clarks USFL stats should be included since this is the Pro Football HOF not the NFL HOF. Sadly, the only way Clark will get to the HOF is if he goes as a vacationer and not a member.

Originally posted by Drex

With all due respect to Art Monk and his greatness, Gary Clark was actually my favorite among the "Posse" of receivers. I admired the edge that he played with and his ability to make the tough catches across the middle despite his diminuitive stature.

He is still one of my favorites of all time.

While reading this thread, I was thinking exactly what you just stated. I feel exactly the same way. Clark was always my boy, and to me Art got a lot of the attention was because of his catch streak. I remember paying way too much for a couple of Art Monk Rookie cards, only to see them drop a ton after Jerry Rice broke his record. I always like all three of those guys, but Gary was the smaller player, who always had a huge target area.

Archived