Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell: 'It would be hard to be a backup' next season

Saqs

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-brunell&prov=ap&type=lgns

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Mark Brunell is uncertain whether he would be content to return the Washington Redskins as a backup.

Brunell, who was benched in favor of Patrick Ramsey in November, commented Monday for the first time on coach Joe Gibbs' announcement two weeks ago that Ramsey will be the starter next season.

"I want to play, there's no question,'' Brunell said. ``I'm confident that I can still play, no doubt about that. It would be hard to be a backup as it has been the last few weeks.''

Brunell, 34, ranked last in the league in completion percentage when he was benched during the first half against Cincinnati on Nov. 14. Brunell's stats were the worst of his 11-year career, and he failed to throw for 100 yards in five of his nine starts.

Ramsey led the Redskins to victories in three of their last five games as the team finished 6-10.

"Starting this season, but not being able to finish, that was the frustrating part, particularly when we were about to turn the corner and get some things going,'' Brunell said. ``Guys were playing better, and to not be a part of that was pretty hard.''

Brunell said he came to Washington expecting to start when he signed a seven-year, $43 million contract after being traded from Jacksonville for a third-round draft pick. He said he was surprised when Gibbs announced that there wouldn't be an open competition for the 2005 starting job.

"Reading that and hearing that, it did come as a surprise,'' Brunell said. ``Coach Gibbs and I have talked about that since then.''

Asked what his future holds, Brunell said: ``I don't know. Honestly, I expect to be a Redskin, and I want to be a Redskin.''

While saying the job is Ramsey's, Gibbs has steadfastly defended Brunell and said he wants both quarterbacks back next season. Cutting Brunell would be difficult because of the salary cap ramifications, so Brunell's best option for leaving would be to request a trade if he wanted to leave.

"Write this down: Mark Brunell's not through yet,'' Gibbs said. I'll stand on that one when it's all said and done. We'll see. I believe he'll fill a very important role.''

"Starting this season, but not being able to finish, that was the frustrating part, particularly when we were about to turn the corner and get some things going,'' Brunell said. ``Guys were playing better, and to not be a part of that was pretty hard.''

It's sad that he doesn't realize they turned the corner because he was no longer in there.

"Reading that and hearing that, it did come as a surprise,'' Brunell said. ``Coach Gibbs and I have talked about that since then.''

I listened to his comments on 980 this morning, and I heard 'it DIDN'T come as a surprise'. Thats a big difference in terms of the tone of his comments :)

I thought his overall demeanor regarding his situation was positive....he doesn't have a whole lot of choice, and he can point to nothing but himself in terms of how he got to the backup QB role.

I don't think I'd have a problem with Brunell as #2.

But, frankly, Mark, if you want to start, feel free to shop around. We'll trede you to anybody who'll take your existing contract.

(Yes, I know that won't work. But face it, Mark: The only reason you're not facing a "take a pay cut or you're fired" conversation is that it would cost too much cap room to cut you).

"Write this down: Mark Brunell's not through yet,'' Gibbs said. I'll stand on that one when it's all said and done. We'll see. I believe he'll fill a very important role.''

Getting Patrick gatorade is freaking important. That, and saying "nice throw".

Originally posted by posse

WOW. Unbelievable. How can he POSSIBLY think he can still start in this league?

What is with old QB's like Brunell and Warner who can't come to grips with reality.

It's really quite sad, actually.

Yes, if they weren't making mad jack I'd actually feel sorry for him. I wish I could get paid millions to stand on the redskins sidelines next to a legend like Joe Gibbs.

I realize why you guys are being so hard on Brunell, but c'mon...do you want the guy to say...look I stink and I deserve to be a 2nd stringer?

If he remains on the team, don't you want a guy to go out there and try and compete? Don't you want the guy to work hard as if he is the starter?

I rather have that then some guy who knows he will be the backup and won't ever step on the field unless there is an injury.

Look at a guy like Koy Detmer. He only plays the last two games because Donovan sat and he stunk the joint. He knows there's no way he steps on the field. It's gotta be something he thinks about when he's at practice.

:2cents:

Originally posted by Larry

I don't think I'd have a problem with Brunell as #2.

But, frankly, Mark, if you want to start, feel free to shop around. We'll trede you to anybody who'll take your existing contract.

(Yes, I know that won't work. But face it, Mark: The only reason you're not facing a "take a pay cut or you're fired" conversation is that it would cost too much cap room to cut you).

But trading him does the same thing. The signing bonus accelerates. We CAN'T trade the bum unless he redoes his contract and, I assume, repays part of the signing bonus. Can he be traded to NFL Europe?

Archived