Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell: 'It would be hard to be a backup' next season

Saqs

Originally posted by ummagumma

But trading him does the same thing. The signing bonus accelerates. We CAN'T trade the bum unless he redoes his contract and, I assume, repays part of the signing bonus. Can he be traded to NFL Europe?

I know, that's why I put in the "I know it won't work" line. With his SB, the only way he gets traded (and we take the hit) is if we get something in return (picks, Clinton Portis, something like that.

(Although, if he's going to get all pouty, then let's also face it: Would you rather eat his cap hit this year, or eat one years worth and his salary this year, and the rest next year? And another possibility comes up June 1st.)

Cutting Brunell would be difficult because of the salary cap ramifications, so Brunell's best option for leaving would be to request a trade if he wanted to leave.

Dumb cap statement of the day. If we trade Brunell, we take the same cap hit as if we cut him before June 1. If we cut after June 1, we at least get to split the cap hit.

What makes brunell think he could be a starter after his performance this season? :puke: He was absolutely horrid most of the time. I think he had one decent game against dallas if i am remembering correctly. I hope he restructures for next season. I wonder if he was playing through an injury that was never reported? I wonder if he has any problem with skin fans when he goes out? :D

Originally posted by skinsfan93

I realize why you guys are being so hard on Brunell, but c'mon...do you want the guy to say...look I stink and I deserve to be a 2nd stringer?

If he remains on the team, don't you want a guy to go out there and try and compete? Don't you want the guy to work hard as if he is the starter?

I rather have that then some guy who knows he will be the backup and won't ever step on the field unless there is an injury.

Look at a guy like Koy Detmer. He only plays the last two games because Donovan sat and he stunk the joint. He knows there's no way he steps on the field. It's gotta be something he thinks about when he's at practice.

:2cents:

Yeah, but that is the only way he will start.

He should say. I still believe in myself. I still know I can start.

I know I didn't do well this season. The whole offense had problems. Im going to keep preparing and be ready to go when they call on me. Patrick is doing great. Hes talented. I think he is going to do great. I totally support him. Well see how things work out. You never know when your going to be called on to help the team. Ill be read to step in play at a higher level. Ill be ready to perform like I had my whole carrer.

Originally posted by Larry

I know, that's why I put in the "I know it won't work" line. With his SB, the only way he gets traded (and we take the hit) is if we get something in return (picks, Clinton Portis, something like that.

(Although, if he's going to get all pouty, then let's also face it: Would you rather eat his cap hit this year, or eat one years worth and his salary this year, and the rest next year? And another possibility comes up June 1st.)

A 1000 pardons...I think i meant to Quote someone else.

If he thinks it's going to be hard being a backup, wait till he tries to start.

My favorite quote:

"Starting this season, but not being able to finish, that was the frustrating part, particularly when we were about to turn the corner and get some things going,'' Brunell said. ``Guys were playing better, and to not be a part of that was pretty hard.''

Cause and effect, MB. Cause and effect.

Originally posted by canesluver

I think our back-up quarterback situation stinks. If Ramsey should go down, I don't have confidence in either one. If Brunnell somehow leaves the Skins, we need to start looking, because I don't think Hasselbeck is the answer.

How about Tupa?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

If Brunell refuses to report....does he count against the salary cap?

no, he would be put on the refuse to report list and after a certain amount of time(6-8 weeks into the season) the skins would be able to recoup all the money from his contract for the season and negate the pro-rated portion of the bonus for that season. If he stays out through the whole season, the skins can void his contract and not be responsible for the bonus against the cap.

Originally posted by dfbovey

Only way he gets taken off our hands is if we cut him. And that will be a big cap hit.

Maybe he will agree to a pay cut. Wishful thinking.

A pay cut doesn't do us much good. Brunell is making $1.5 million in 2005, which is really not out of line with most veteran backup QB's. So taking a paycut wouldn't save that much.

The thing the Skins don't want to do is get him pissed off next year and then force him into retirement. The cap hit would be humungus. If he retires in 2006 if won't be near as bad.

Originally posted by LA56Dawg

he is already a cancer on my franchise in Madden '05... i traded him to the Cardinals for a 2nd round pick :) - although i took a cap penalty of ~$5.7mil... btw i resigned Pierce and Smoot, i don't remember the figures :)

I hear that...although i recieved a #1 pick for him. Ended up with Antrell Rolle and Leinert

Archived