Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the hatred?

within the circle of friends I keep who are fans of other teams the answer is routinely the same - a profound dislike for Snyder. incidently, this is a feeling that is also harbored within the media.

as for skins fans themselves - which would you rather be: an optimist who shoots for the moon every season or an iggles fan who delights in personal violence and vulgarity?

Ok, when you win 3 Superbowls, you are a lock for the HOF. Besides that though I think one reason certain media people don't like Joe Gibbs is because he is not one of their drinking buddies and he probably rubs them the wrong way with his christianity. He is not one of the boys, he doesn't hang around and have stories to tell. He is all business. He was a little testy his first go around as well.

Originally posted by SlinginSammy HOF '63

I can't really say that the Skins have a huge fanbase. I've only met one other Skins fan in my whole lifetime here in IL. That's OK. I'd rather have a smaller diehard fanbase than a huge group of frontrunners and casual "watch with buddies at the bar" fans that the Cowboys & Packers seem to have alot of outside of their region.

I have lived a good portion of my adult life away from the DC area.

Everywhere I have gone, I have found many fellow fans.

Even here, in what is officially listed as "Eagles" territory, my fellow fans and I out-number the Eagles fans by at least 2 to 1.

But there are a good number of "skins haters" as well. When I ask them why, they hem and they haw and can't really give me a good answer. One guy stuttered for a minute, trying to think of something, and then finally blurted out that he "can't stand the owner" even though he had just said he hated the skins for as long as he could remember.

I think it was the winning tradition we had during the 70s and 80s.

Gibbs especially, made some other teams look bad. Now those fans are enjoying our mediocrity.

The Redskins have never had the press supported all-league super stars that other champs have had (Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Steel Curtain, John Elway, Emmitt Smith, etc.). Often Redskin teams snuck up on the press and won championships with great teamwork, brilliant gameplans and gutty performances. Since the press didn't embrace the Skins early they wouldn't assign credit when the Skins won. The ignorant fans are just led by the nose by the resentful press.

In addition, Joey T. was never the type of guy who attracted much love from anyone, especially not the press. Riggo didn't hide the fact that he didn't think much of the press and neither did Butz. Doug Williams was ignored, probably because the press didn't want to jump on a bandwagon driven by a black QB. That didn't become fashionable until the idiot Rush Limbaugh bashed McNabb.

Rypien wasn't charasmatic in front of a TV camera and Art Monk was too quietly old school. Darrell Green and Gary Clark were the only two had the kind of personalities to have national star power that the press craves, but both pretty much gave priority to the team. Monte Coleman's presence kept most Skins in check and Joe Gibbs can talk to the press for an hour without saying anything. It's just been the team's personality to be bland when they were winning, and lately Snyder's actions have been a lightning rod while they have been losing.

As Jerry Stackhouse once said regarding the Michael Jordan fiasco in Washington, "It is what it is".

I don't care if fans hate the Redskins. I hate their teams too.

Originally posted by wskin44

The Redskins have never had the press supported all-league super stars that other champs have had (Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Steel Curtain, John Elway, Emmitt Smith, etc.). Often Redskin teams snuck up on the press and won championships with great teamwork, brilliant gameplans and gutty performances. Since the press didn't embrace the Skins early they wouldn't assign credit when the Skins won. The ignorant fans are just led by the nose by the resentful press.

In addition, Joey T. was never the type of guy who attracted much love from anyone, especially not the press. Riggo didn't hide the fact that he didn't think much of the press and neither did Butz. Doug Williams was ignored, probably because the press didn't want to jump on a bandwagon driven by a black QB. That didn't become fashionable until the idiot Rush Limbaugh bashed McNabb.

Rypien wasn't charasmatic in front of a TV camera and Art Monk was too quietly old school. Darrell Green and Gary Clark were the only two had the kind of personalities to have national star power that the press craves, but both pretty much gave priority to the team. Monte Coleman's presence kept most Skins in check and Joe Gibbs can talk to the press for an hour without saying anything. It's just been the team's personality to be bland when they were winning, and lately Snyder's actions have been a lightning rod while they have been losing.

As Jerry Stackhouse once said regarding the Michael Jordan fiasco in Washington, "It is what it is".

Well put! :applause:

Originally posted by jtyler42

Well put! :applause:

Thanks. The press hated it when Gibbs beat their little darling Dolphins, Broncos and Bills. The press favored all three of those teams and tripped all over themselves when we beat them.

Now they just hate Snyder, and root for the Skins to lose.

That quote was the best thing Stackhouse did while he was here.

Originally posted by SoCalSkins

Jealousy. The Skins are the most valuable franchise in all of sports and have a huge fan base. Additionaly, since Snyder bought the team, people see the Skins as the Yankees of football. The hate will only grow when we win the Superbowl next year.

Not quite son, the Redskins are far from the most valuable franchise in all of sports. There are at least 30 teams I can think of off the top of my head from the other major sports that are worth more than Washington, including Dallas and Philadelphia. Yankees of footbal...LMFAO.

Originally posted by HeavyHitta31

Not quite son, the Redskins are far from the most valuable franchise in all of sports. There are at least 30 teams I can think of off the top of my head from the other major sports that are worth more than Washington, including Dallas and Philadelphia. Yankees of footbal...LMFAO.

I just read recently that the Yankees and Redskins are ranked #1 and #2 in terms of $ value. You either are talking about some other type of value or you don't know what you are talking about. You might want to do your research somewhere brighter than off the top of your head.

Try reading.

http://www.forbes.com/business/global/2004/0920/034.html

You might want to do your research somewhere brighter than off the top of your head.

:rotflmao:. It's true!

I actually think the Skins were pretty well liked around the country until the Snyder era. No one much resented Gibbs and the Hogs.

It's completely Snyder and "trying to buy a championship" -- and failing miserably. The gap between aspiration and accomplishment, especially with the (perceived) splashy, undeserved arrogance thrown in, offseason after offseason. And Snyder's being a short, young, nerdy, unathletic Jewish guy with a lot of money who is perceived as meddling where he shouldn't ought to have been a-meddling -- that generates resentment among yahoos.

I'm a Snyder supporter (after his first year or so, when he was in fact a-meddling, and was unduly impatient, as he himself acknowledges), and I am confident I would be if I were a thoughtful fan of another team (or at least would respect his passion and commitment).

What's odd to me is that the knee-jerk media line has been so glacially slow in recognizing that Snyder has matured as an owner.

"He has turned the Redskins into a marketing machine. With a value that FORBES estimates at $1.1 billion, the team is the richest franchise in U.S. sports and the first American team in FORBES rankings ever to clear the billion-dollar mark"

-Forbes

" The Washington Post reports Forbes magazine says the Redskins generate the most revenue in the NFL and lists it as the most valuable sports franchise in the country at more than $1 billion."

-AP Wire Services

"There are at least 30 teams I can think of off the top of my head from the other major sports that are worth more than Washington"

-HeavyHitta31

Originally posted by Westbrook36

People like to watch the Skins lose because you are the offseason champions every year and don't hesitate to tell everyone how you are going to win the Superbowl this year.

Plus, your owner has the reputation, like it or not, of being a meddling fantasy type owner.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Why are you guys trying to create reasons? I told you on page one why you are hated.

my answer to that is...we will win the superbowl next season.

Sorry Pal...this is one time where the Skins do beat the Cowboys...

...though I would like to see your list of 30 teams ranked ahead of the Redskins :laugh:

Please...

Anyone else think its really lame when a 19 year old refers to others as "son?" Maybe if you were actually talking to your son or if you were an old man it would make sense. Otherwise you just sound like a fool, esp when you actually TYPE it out. Not to mention you don't know what you're talking about troll.

Guess you didn't feel like posting on the giants boards today.:nana:

Intelligent and well said. Great post wskins44! :notworthy

Add the Danny factor and that is why we are targets.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Originally posted by The Rook

Intelligent and well said. Great post wskins44! :notworthy

Add the Danny factor and that is why we are targets.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

In addition to Danny, Steve Spurrier came to Washington with his own committed band of haters. I'm sure some of that rubbed off on the Skins.

Most real Redskin fans have believed for some time that we have the talent to compete with the best teams. This season confirmed for most of us that a steady hand can right the ship. If other fans hate our arrogance, which we maintain even in the face of a 6-10 season, then let them and the press that leads them along by the nose, eat horse manure.

In addition to Danny, Steve Spurrier came to Washington with his own committed band of haters. I'm sure some of that rubbed off on the Skins.

Most real Redskin fans have believed for some time that we have the talent to compete with the best teams. This season confirmed for most of us that a steady hand can right the ship. If other fans hate our arrogance, which we maintain even in the face of a 6-10 season, then let them and the press that leads them along by the nose, eat horse manure.

I don't think it's arrogance. I don't know what you would call it, but arrogance isn't the word I would use. Arrogance is a word you attach to Eagles & Cowgurls fans, not Redskins fans.

Personally, I don't have any clue why people hate the Redskins & Redskins fans so much. I run into all kinds of fans & a good portion of them seem to hate on us for various reasons. More than a couple times, the reason was Dan Snyder (one in particular who has hated the Redskins all her life becuase of Snyder-she was in her 30s :doh: ).

We break too many peoples hearts and have for years not lived up to our hype. On top of that what was the greatest rivalry in the NFL, possibly in sports as well, has become a f'n laughing stock. We've earned no respect.

Oh ya, and Snyders a rich little brat. :laugh:

Archived