Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the hatred?

GrimReefa posted this on another thread:

"It all boils down to the same issue over and over again. People just don't like the Redskins. It's as obvious as the sky is blue.

- #1 defense in the conference sends 1 player to the Pro Bowl.

- Of all the players on Joe Gibbs' 3 Super Bowl winning teams, 1 (one) of them is in the HOF.

- Len Pasquerelli and Don Banks have made an entire career out of bashing the Redskins in particular and Dan Snyder in general.

- We have, ahem, referee issues.

Redskins fans just have to learn to deal with the fact that our players are not going to get any kind of recognition for their various accomplishments, whether it comes in the form of SportsCenter highlights, Pro Bowl invites, or even HOF inductions (Art freakin' Monk anyone?). That's fine. When they start putting ringson their fingers over the next few seasons, everybody can keep hating all they want."

And i agree.

My question is why? I've been sitting here and racking my brain as to why and i can't come up with any logical answers. Maybe cause our nickname offends a minority? Thats as far as I can think it through.

Look, if you're gonna be an ass and come up with some lame reply,or make a dumb joke hating on the Skins (Westbrook, Jakehunter) don't bother. I want to get peoples honest opinions.

I have lived all over the United States and have found out that the Redskins are not well liked. With the exceptions of our group of fans our beloved Skins are not won of the NFL's most liked team, even when we were in our glory days we did nto get much love.

Really don't know why. :whoknows:

i think (at least recently) people look at the Skins as the Yankees of football.

meaning we buy up all the talent and try to out show everyone in the offseason and put a fantasy team on the field.

the only problem is we don't win like the Yankees have.....

but then again I'm still trying to figure out how dallas is "America's team" , just like J-Lo, it's very lame to give yourself a nickname

People like to watch the Skins lose because you are the offseason champions every year and don't hesitate to tell everyone how you are going to win the Superbowl this year.

Plus, your owner has the reputation, like it or not, of being a meddling fantasy type owner.

Originally posted by stupidsuck

but then again I'm still trying to figure out how dallas is "America's team" , just like J-Lo, it's very lame to give yourself a nickname

This tired phrase is used by people that think Landry is still alive and Staubach is their QB. America has matured and grown more intelligent as a football nation since this phrase was coined.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

People like to watch the Skins lose because you are the offseason champions every year and don't hesitate to tell everyone how you are going to win the Superbowl this year.

Plus, your owner has the reputation, like it or not, of being a meddling fantasy type owner.

Redskins fans actually haven't been like that ever until the Snyder era, because too many members of our fan base bought into Snyder's spend spend spend philosophy. It all stemmed from the 99-'00 transition, and ever since then too many people think we are a big FA signing from solving all the problems.....

:doh:

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Redskins fans actually haven't been like that ever until the Snyder era, because too many members of our fan base bought into Snyder's spend spend spend philosophy. It all stemmed from the 99-'00 transition, and ever since then too many people think we are a big FA signing from solving all the problems.....

:doh:

Well, in your defense, every fan wants teams to buy players during the offseason. Nothing is going on.....you get excited about moves.

Last year, when we got Kearse, Dhani Jones, and TO in the matter of a week, I thought I went to heaven.

Danny is really the root of the problem. Any NFL fanbase would do the same thing.

Originally posted by SlinginSammy HOF '63

Yeah, but isn't every diehard fan of a team like this? What type of fan are you to not be very optimistic?

You are right. It's just the way you rationalize it EVERY YEAR!

It's like "WOLF!!! WOLF!!! WOLF!!!!"

Every single year, there is a new reason you will be great. First it was all the HOF FAs, then Spurrier and the new wave of FA's, then Spurriers second year and more FA's. Finally, Joe Gibbs, Portis and more FAs.

It's just the same thing every year. Nothing wrong with that, but it gives people pleasure to watch you fail while if you were a Tennessee or something, noone would give you a second thought when you had a bad year.

You are right. It's just the way you rationalize it EVERY YEAR!

It's like "WOLF!!! WOLF!!! WOLF!!!!"

Every single year, there is a new reason you will be great. First it was all the HOF FAs, then Spurrier and the new wave of FA's, then Spurriers second year and more FA's. Finally, Joe Gibbs, Portis and more FAs.

It's just the same thing every year. Nothing wrong with that, but it gives people pleasure to watch you fail while if you were a Tennessee or something, noone would give you a second thought when you had a bad year.

Every team is like that.

This year, I think some of us will be much more realistic no matter what happens this offseason.

Seriously, since 2000, expectations of winning a superbowl have gone out the window. It's been replaced with expectations of making it to the playoffs again and fielding a consitantly competative team.

That's what the majority of hype is focused at, and rightly so.

For the past two seasons, this team on paper should be at least a 9-7 team.

I don't have 45 a day....it's more like 15-20.

For some reason Westbrooks reg date is all screwed up, because I know for a fact that he has been posting here for a while I remember reading a lot of things he wrote that pissed me off :laugh: :jk:

Originally posted by stupidsuck

i think (at least recently) people look at the Skins as the Yankees of football.

meaning we buy up all the talent and try to out show everyone in the offseason and put a fantasy team on the field.

the only problem is we don't win like the Yankees have.....

Dallas didn't give themselves the nickname, NFL videos did.

Originally posted by Hoods

Dallas didn't give themselves the nickname, NFL videos did.

One of the TV networks gave it to them. They first offered the moniker of "Americas Team" to the Steelers but they declined. Thank god the Rooney family had a little class.

Their SECOND CHOICE was the Cowgirls, a team that wasn't worried about class when people were handing out brash egotistical nicknames.

Originally posted by BG

Every team is like that.

This year, I think some of us will be much more realistic no matter what happens this offseason.

Seriously, since 2000, expectations of winning a superbowl have gone out the window. It's been replaced with expectations of making it to the playoffs again and fielding a consitantly competative team.

That's what the majority of hype is focused at, and rightly so.

For the past two seasons, this team on paper should be at least a 9-7 team.

I concur

Archived