TODD

Originally posted by Bang

How about

DE / DT / DT / DE

Arrington / Griffin / Salava'e / Daniels -Whoever

LB / MLB / LB

Washington / Pierce / Marshall

CB / S / S CB

Springs / Taylor / Bowen -Clark / Smoot - ?

I kinda like the idea of moving Arrington to a DE position. He's fast and amazingly strong, young, and can be turned loose to wreak havoc without the fear of him being caught out of position.

Marshall has played VERY well in his stead, and you get his blitz ability mixed in with Washington's blitz and Arrington's pass rush.

It might just solve that pesky DE problem.

~Bang

Marshall has played average. I can't believe why anyone seems to think he a reliable long term replacement if we ever did get rid of Arrington. His tackles and playmaking have declined steadily since his first start.

A system as complex as williams, you can't just throw someone else in there and expert them to master it like Pierce has. It's not just his mental skills that make him irreplaceable, it's his intelegence. Sameuls is in the midst of renegotiating, and Smoot is just talking. Gibbs and Williams will not let go of the Redskins we need to keep. Bet on it.

Who cares if Pierce is a "system" LB that is only good because of Williams is our coach. Even if that was HALF TRUE, I would look no further then Trotter and the Eagles. Sure Trotter was medicore for us, but look how he shines(most of the time when he is not chasing Steven Jackson from behind, lol) on Philly's defense, because all they do is ask him to come up on the line and fill rushing lanes. If you find the right players for YOUR SYSTEM, and they excel, that is a good thing, and it makes the player one you should want to retain.

I would re-sign Pierce. I want to send a message that I am rewarding in-house talent. I want to build thru the draft and undrafted free agents.

We have not had a good MLB since Derek Smith left for the 49'ers. (I said "good", not "great", flamers. Name the last great MLB we have had.)

If MLB is so easy a position to fill, why have we had a matador r defense against the run for so long?

:D

Originally posted by TLusby

There are 3-4 good CB's that will be FA this year. Nobody said Harris would be the starter. It just might be the Miami stud through the draft.

I don't understand this logic. If we take Antrell Rolle in the top 5 (he may not even last that long) then we already pay him more money than Smoot wants. Plus, we completely waste a chance to upgrade another position through the draft.

If we sign a "good CB" through free agency, then we'll be paying them what Smoot wants. Why not just pay Smoot if we're going to look elsewhere to pay another corner the same money?

I agree with the original post. It's a matter of $$$ as well. We have Barrow, who Greg Williams brought in, so it;s pretty safe to assume he can do the job. Since cutting Barrow has viryually the same impact as keeping him, you can argue he's a free player next season. Where as resigning Pierce will cost what you pay Pierce PLUS the cost of cutting Barrow.

I'd rather have Smoot and Barrow than Pierce and Harris (not to mention the fact we'd need to go out and get another CB anyway.

This is all on the assumption we can't resign both...obviously, I want both, but if a choice needs to be made, the answer is pretty clear.

This is also on the assumpion that the doctors think Barrow is healthy. He might be 35, but his body will appreciate having a year off from being hit.

Originally posted by Warhead36

Pierce played well for us. He deserves to be rewarded. But our organization only rewards players from other teams, not their own.

Washington Mercenaries.

Isn't Fred Smoot our "own?" The point of the thread was not to say Pierce was expendable per se, but simply less important than Smoot.

To me Pierce is our most important FA....Our D rose to #2 under his smarts and leadership...It wasnt LA, it wasnt Smoot....It was Pierce, he is the QB of this D and will become the unquestioned leader of this D...I'd be willing to bet that if Williams had to choose he would keep Pierce and let Smoot go...

Archived