Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Antonio Pierce is not someone we MUST retain

TODD

Yeah, Pierce had a good year.

But are we going to sign him at the expense of Fred Smoot or Chris Samuels? That's absolutely ridiculous. Antonio Pierce can be replaced a lot easier with another young guy than Smoot or a LT would be. I personally think this past season was the best season Antonio Pierce will see in his career. He had a great opportunity to step into an excellent system with few tacklers around him. I don't want to Roland-ize this guy, but a system like Gregg Williams' can make a lot of guys look good. Especially a MLB.

Think about this, too. If LaVar had been healthy, Pierce would have had a significantly lower number of tackles. Lemar Marshall is averaging less than five tackles per game since week 4 at Cleveland, his first start. His ineffectiveness allowed Pierce to make many more tackles than an average MLB would have the chance to.

I would really like to see Pierce stay, but we can't be giving him so much money that we're going to have cut ties with Chris Samuels or especially, Fred Smoot.

I don't know, Pierce has had to do a lot more than just play well (which he has). He has become the guy who calls the defense in the huddle and is Williams link betwen him and the guys on the field. MLB not only carries a hugh role in the way it's played, but the mental side of it is way underated and it is something Pierce has done very well.

Personally, I'll be sick if we lose both Pierce and Smoot, we are always aggressively pursuing FA's from other teams, but not hanging on to our own guys who have begun their development under us.

I disagree! Greg Williams has said on numerous occasions that AP is the smartest LB he has coached. We need smart guys that make few mistakes. Trotter played well filling in under Johnson and Reid but their system allows him to play downhill w/o thinking. AP was giving a chance and excelled. You retain guys like this and reward them. His season was almost mistake free football!

Although I would prefer to keep them both, I think Pierce is more important then Smoot, because we have Walt Harris to take over if Smoot leaves. You could argue that Barrow also backs up Pierce, but Barrow is coming off an IR injury and will be 35 next season.

Presently this is the best run defense (3.1 per rush or so) that I recall the Redskins having in decades. In fact I can't recall when the Redskins were ever better at stopping the run (under George Allen?). Stopping the run is always the FIRST PRIORITY in having an overall good defense, and I don't won't to see that sacrificed.

Pierce shouldn't cost us more than a $5 million signing bonus, because the more experienced Trotter and Washington got $7 million. :)

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Although I would prefer to keep them both, I think Pierce is more important then Smoot, because we have Walt Harris to take over if Smoot leaves.

You don't see this as a problem?

Originally posted by TODD

You don't see this as a problem?

It might be. But the Skins should sign the cheaper player first -- which is Pierce -- who will probably get a $5 Mil SB. Then if we can renegoiate Samuels contract to our benefit, maybe we have some more money left over to sign Smoot too.

Whatever, we can't afford to OVERPAY Smoot by giving him some ridiculous $15 million signing bonus spread over only 5 years. :)

Without Pierce, we don't have the #2 defense, period. I would trade Lavar before Smoot but that's not possible with the ridiculous amount of money Lavar's getting without earning it. Pierce deserves to stay. I think that Gibbs is going to keep Samuels and lose Smoot since we are deeper at CB than we are on our line.

Originally posted by TLusby

I disagree! Greg Williams has said on numerous occasions that AP is the smartest LB he has coached. We need smart guys that make few mistakes. Trotter played well filling in under Johnson and Reid but their system allows him to play downhill w/o thinking. AP was giving a chance and excelled. You retain guys like this and reward them. His season was almost mistake free football!

Perfectly said. I agree 100%. Gibbs likes smart football players. I would be very surprised if he's not a Redskin next year.

Originally posted by jds84

Without Pierce, we don't have the #2 defense, period. I would trade Lavar before Smoot but that's not possible with the ridiculous amount of money Lavar's getting without earning it. Pierce deserves to stay. I think that Gibbs is going to keep Samuels and lose Smoot since we are deeper at CB than we are on our line.

Do we have to lose any of them? I always considered Smoot a "Mr. Redskin." He seems like a real team player. I'd like to see all of them stay. Don't be surprised if some of these guys take paycuts to stay under Gibbs. He's that kind of leader.

Every indication from the coaching staff in the press seems to contradict your thread title.

As far as it coming down to only signing one or the other because of the salary cap, the indications from the Redskins here also seem to contradict what you're saying. They were in negotiations with both.

Who gets signed depends on what they Redskins are offering vs. what the player's agent and his "the money's the only thing" advisors.

Of course you keepp Perice over Smoot

Smoot is a fan favorite because he talks a lot. But he is the only corner who teams throw ON. Sean Springs is way better him. And Smoot is too small. I am surprised how is body has held up. Everytime he makes a play it feels like his legs will be cut off

So let me get this straight... everyone wants our defense to look like so:

LB Arrington

LB Pierce

LB Washington

CB Springs

CB Harris

NB Bauman

rather than...

LB Arrington

LB Barrow

LB Washington

CB Springs

CB Smoot

NB Harris

??

Pierce is the great story. The kid coming from nowhere and fighting his guts out. Smoot also has a ton of heart and fight. Pierce has been as much of a leader as Smoot, perhaps moreso. He has solidified a run d that has been porous for many years. That is despite quite a number of shuffling d linemen, safeties, and linebackers playing around him. I think he deserves credit and to stay.

LB Arrington

LB Pierce

LB Washington

CB Springs

CB Harris

NB Bauman

rather than...

LB Arrington

LB Barrow

LB Washington

CB Springs

CB Smoot

NB Harris

??

There are 3-4 good CB's that will be FA this year. Nobody said Harris would be the starter. It just might be the Miami stud through the draft.

cant really say harris can be our starter cuz he isnt a young guy himself speaking of barrow turning 35 .... walt harris cant be much younger =| we neeeeeeeeeed pierce and smoooooot , we simply can not attack like we do unless we have great CBs we need to try and keep everyone on defense

LB Arrington

LB Pierce

LB Washington

CB Springs

CB Harris

NB Bauman

rather than...

LB Arrington

LB Barrow

LB Washington

CB Springs

CB Smoot

NB Harris

??

dude... bauman is a bengal...remember we cut him in training camp. anyways i see us drafting a corner (marlin jackson or corey webster) and moving harris to the no. 2 for a season while the guy we draft learns.

How about

DE / DT / DT / DE

Arrington / Griffin / Salava'e / Daniels -Whoever

LB / MLB / LB

Washington / Pierce / Marshall

CB / S / S CB

Springs / Taylor / Bowen -Clark / Smoot - ?

I kinda like the idea of moving Arrington to a DE position. He's fast and amazingly strong, young, and can be turned loose to wreak havoc without the fear of him being caught out of position.

Marshall has played VERY well in his stead, and you get his blitz ability mixed in with Washington's blitz and Arrington's pass rush.

It might just solve that pesky DE problem.

~Bang

Archived