Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VERY sad observation: Puts Redskins in a LOWLY, UGLY, cast

kleese

Here we are again: For the fifth year in a row we enter the final game of the season having already been eliminated from the playoffs. Five years in a row of not even being ALIVE come that last week.

I did a quick observation and discovered that this puts us in some BAD company.

EVERY team in the NFL has either made the playoffs or at least been alive going into the last week of the season at least once over the past five seasons (2000-2004) EXCEPT:

Cincinnati

Detroit

Arizona

AND

Washington

I did this off the top of my head, but I think it's correct. It's darn close if not. I did not include the Texans. Just about every other NFL team has made the playoffs at least once over that span-- we haven't even SNIFFED them.

As a matter of fact, 1997 and 1999 were the only years since Gibbs left where we were actually alive going into the last week of the season. That's 10 out of 12 years without even really being in contention, much less making the playoffs.

Anyone who doesn't think we're one of the dregs of the NFL only needs to look at those other names we're grouped with.

THAT'S why it's hard for many fans to take any solace in this season. Yes, I'm happy Gibbs is back. Yes, I'm hopeful some continuity and solid leadership will help. Yes, I'm hopeful we saw the first signs of a turnaround this year.

But in the end, it still feels the same. Lousy. New Year's with no Redskins. It stinks. And it's getting REALLY old and hollow to playing "playing for next year" season after season when "next year" doesn't yield different results.

At some point, I'll start looking forward to 2005. At some point I'll get my energy back and get excited about next season. But each year that time comes later and later.

I'll watch this week because I'm a die-hard. Might as well suffer through ALL the games :)

But I'm not excited, and I'm not really looking forward to seeing anything for next year. Here we are again, right with the Cardinals. Right now, it feels like this is our destiny.

Not all "next year's" are created equal.

Hopefully, once the immediate frustration of the regular season is over, and we can all sit back and watch professionals continue to methodically attack the problem areas, that will slowly become clear, even to the those wedged deepest into the dark corners of gridiron depression.

Walk towards the light, my friends. Or at least look in its direction. Let logic and reason cool the fires of your angst. Oh, a few will surely call you a "homer" or polyanna or worse, but who cares? You'll live longer than them.

And you'll also be the one laughing best ... :)

Not all "next year's" are created equal.

I agree 100%.

That's what keeps me coming back. The Redskins' failures are not from lack of effort. Snyder cares and does everything in his power to make the team better. Despite his mistakes, the guy loves the team as much as we do--that does make me feel good. Makes me feel like he's bound to get it right someday.

As long as they keep trying, we need to keep trying too :)

And yes, it's really not fair to judge Gibbs' one year against the decade plus of failure that preceeded him. But as a fan, it's impossible to shake those feelings.

I firmly believe in the "mentality" of an organization, and I've talked about it (some people put me on their "ignore list" because of it :)), time and time again. But I truly believe it. And I really fear that no matter what we do, that in the end, we'll always mess it up.

Maybe the offense will be a lot better next year, but then we'll suffer a bad injury on defense, and they'll stink--it's always something.

Right now, it's just hard to view the team in any other light than the simple fact that they are 5-10. Blech!

Originally posted by kleese

But I'm not excited, and I'm not really looking forward to seeing anything for next year. Here we are again, right with the Cardinals. Right now, it feels like this is our destiny.

me either. I'm in blah-mode in terms of pro football right now, but give it 2 months into the offseason, you'll be pining to see the redskins lose some games on TV. YeaH, I don't get it either.

I'm bummed also. My wife asks why do you put yourself through this every year?. Because I am a Redskin fan that's why and that aint gonna change.

We can't predict the future. Past history is all we know for sure and Coach Gibbs and his staff were hired because of that. Joe Gibbs has had great teams in the past and there is no doubt we will have one soon. We will see some sagnifigant changes this offseason.

The Jansen injury was the most signifigant event this year. Our line has been bowled over by defenses all year. Brunell had no time to throw (see rollouts) and when he did he did not connect. Gibbs stuck with Boonell to long and I'll bet he couldn't believe a QB could decline so much so quick.

Ramsey still doesn't have time to throw and we can't run block. My heart is broken every time we get in the red zone and are stopped. That's what Gibbs will fix. It's killing him.

Past history says we suck and that's true. Joe Jackson Gibbs is a winner and we will follow him.

Another post by a hopeless homer.

The troubling thing is that what seems to be surfacing more than anything else is shame. Shame for our devotion to a team that truly has let us down. Teams like Cincy or Arizona have not had the weapons that we have had during almost ALL of the span that kleese is speaking of. We have an owner that brings in big-time players and we are still a small-time unit. As we all pile into these threads, posting our declarations of loyalty to the Washington Redskins in this time of darkness, we all seem to sprinkle some SHAME on top. That loss in Dallas bruised even the most rabid Skinfans. Even the Mighty Dead Tree Crew seems venomless right now.

I can't remember who posted this reply, but it really summed it all up-

"Yep. We suck."

This is sad, but we will improve. Cincinnati and Detroit are making strides and the Cardinals played well for Dennis Green. Our failure is easily explained given the coaching changes, our lack of success with the draft (until this year), and the early FA signings--a mistake by Dan--of Deion, Bruce and the rest of that highly paid bunch!

...and yet despite this fact, we will all tune in and watch the game on Sunday. Our fans will fill the stadium for the 550th consecutive game (or somewhere in that neighborhood). Then we'll come back here on Monday and start posting our ideas on free agents we should/should not pursue, who we should draft, etc.

It is what makes us the best damn fans in the entire world. It is what those other teams lack....a dedicated fan base.

We will be Champions again...soon.

Kleese, the answer is simply not to believe any of the hype that has been attached to this franchise over the past several offseasons, whether it be from the hiring of new coaches (Schotty, Spurrier, Gibbs) to the bringing in new players (the Jetskins, Brunell, and Portis). I will get excited to see the 2005 schedule in late March-early April and will follow in passing the various off-season addition and departures of players, but simply cannot allow myself to get pumped for next season until, say, August. This team has so many question marks right now, particularly at quarterback, despite my great wishes to see young Patrick succeed. One thing I'm certain of is that Gibbs and his staff will work harder than Spurrier ever dreamed of doing; HOWEVER, I am not even remotely convinced that this team is going to greatly improve "just because" Gibbs is our coach. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if we just get to the point we were during the middle of the Norv era.

If you can't be positive, optimistic, and hopeful for "next year", then why in the world are people wasting their time watching the sport? There are thousands of other enjoyable and less painful hobbies and activities to pursue in life other than watching football.

Be thankful for the fact that Joe Gibbs is here. Be thankful for the fact that we have won 3 Super Bowls and that our franchise at least has something to hang their hat on........be especially thankful if you were around to experience one or all of the Super Bowl wins for that matter.

There is a time and place for everything, and for everyone. Our number will be called soon.

I prefer to think of us as the Clippers in terms of consistently woeful futility, but we do indeed suck no matter how you slice it.

It's a credit to the front office that they are able to maintain any kind of fan base at all after running the organization into the ground the last few years. After year upon year of fielding a pathetic product on the field, the F.O. still manages to crank up the interest and enthusiasm with splashy offseason signings and big name coaching changes. And yet it all boils down to the same inevitable failures on the field. Penalties, miscues, missed opportunities, etc etc ad nauseam.

Teams that are just bad will eventually be good again. Probability is on their side. But teams that lose so much, so consistently are just rotten to the core. No surprise that the other teams on that list of misery all have FO's that have been roundly criticized at various times around the league. Everything starts at the top. That's why I believe the losing will continue despite Gibbs, Williams, and anything else they might try. Even Belichek couldn't win here the way things are right now.

They're making it damn near impossible to care about this team anymore...how long before the fans stop coming back for more?

Archived