Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs or Spurrier?

Saint Joe

Given the same exact team (including the number two defense), which coach would have had a better record this season - Gibbs or Spurrier?

This question is fully hypothetical, so did give me any of these responses:

If Spurrier was the coach, we never would have hired Greg Williams, traded for Clinton Portis, drafted Sean Taylor, or signed Mark Brunell.

Though all those things may be true, that's not what I'm asking.

spurriur..

Oh and by the way, you all are gonna come in here and post typical homer posts. I mean we all are homers a little bit but you guys see Joe Gibbs as the greatest thing ever when he came back for his 2nd time. I wish we still had Marty and Stephen Davis. We would be one of the Top teams in the league if we kept that team.

So go ahead and post ":rolleyes:" ":doh: " "Youre only 15 you dont understand gibbs"

Who cares, the fact is that Gibbs is here now, so we have to deal with that and allow him to work w/this team and mold it in his image...

This isnt a going to be a quick fix, and it is obvious that all of this so called talent we have on paper isnt translating to wins on the field for Gibbs or Spurrier so maybe we need to just face the fact that we arent as talented as we think, and that this 5-11/6-10 record this yr and 5-11 last yr are earned and stop making excuses as to why we lose....

Lets just let Gibbs do what he does best and that's work tirelessly to get better and build a winner....

Gibbs

The team ended the season terribly last year. Guys were yelling about cell phones in meetings. It was a joke.

It all starts at the top. Gibbs has changed the culture of Redskins Park this season, something that Spurrier didn't seem interested in doing. How else do you explain his 1 minute end-of-season speech to the players.

Gibbs has us back on the upslope. As much as I still like Spurrier, under him we were on our way down...

Originally posted by SAMB0

spurriur..

Oh and by the way, you all are gonna come in here and post typical homer posts. I mean we all are homers a little bit but you guys see Joe Gibbs as the greatest thing ever when he came back for his 2nd time. I wish we still had Marty and Stephen Davis. We would be one of the Top teams in the league if we kept that team.

So go ahead and post ":rolleyes:" ":doh: " "Youre only 15 you dont understand gibbs"

Amen...Marty was starting to turn it around, he got the shaft though.

Still a Gibbs fan though. I'd rather see him at the helm instead of that lip flapper Spurrier.

Spurrier probably would have finished about the same. Maybe he'd be a game better, or not. But I suspect Ramsey would be in a coma by now.

And I have a bit more confidence in the future of this team after a 5 or 6 win season under Gibbs that I would with Spurrier under similar circumstances. That I know.

Color me homer. Or at least, a homer with respect to Joe Gibbs. The man will have the same record in his first year (assuming they lose this week..big assumption) that Spurrier had in his second season. You also see the team gelling as a TEAM. There is no doubt that there is a lot of work for Joe and Co.

I know some may say at least Ramsey would've started from the beginning of the year. This is true. However, what would happen if he failed? Would his confidence had been shot? What if the old ball coach pulled him half way through the year? While we all know that Brunell was a bust, I didn't see Danny Wuerfell lighting it up, nor any of the other Gators that Spurrier brought along.

If you're winning, WHO CARES ABOUT A CELL PHONE GOING OFF IN A MEETING! Please note that Jansen was one of Spurrier's most vocal critics ... and he's not here this year due to injury obviously. I bet he would be whining this year too about something.

How could a man who has played 9 years in the NFL, won at Duke, won at Florida, won at the USFL, and trained so many current NFL players, not get respect from his team? That says a lot about a least part of the team.

Spurrier has one of the best minds for football offense on the planet. If the choice was mine, I would have him coach any warm weather or dome team he wanted to coach.

The talent level at QB and RB for much of last year with Hasselbeck and Canidate, respectively, was sub-par (to put it mildly).

Having said all this, I still prefer Gibbs as coach of the Redskins, especially for the long term. Spurrier would have won more games this year, but wouldn't have the stomach for the team's crybabies. He played in the NFL when players show a lot more professionalism.

Originally posted by goskins

THIS IS THE WORST THREAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Marty and co. was turning this team around after a horrid 0-5 start, firing a has-been QB (George) making a never-was (Banks) QB into a game manager and developing Arrington, Bailey, and Samuels. Things ended 8-8 (just like Gibbs' 1st run.....could we've gone to a SB the next year? The world will never know).

So...The Danny didn't like not having control and fired Marty for Spurrier.

Yes, Spurrier was a GREAT college coach--however we didn't know on the NFL level that:

A) He had no work ethic

B) Only cared to see is his "system" (the fun 'n' gun- aka the Ramsey Killer) would work in theory in the NFL and cared less if the Redskins won a game.

C) Failed to relate to players other than former Ex-Gators (c'mon messing up Mccants name once is bad, but always c'mon!!!!

As for Gibbs returning- it's great and any "young person" who doesn't remember those years and doesn't care what Gibbs did in the past; DO these 2 things:

1. Remember this--- When you're cracking on Eagles fans about no trophies: IT WAS GIBBS WHO BROUGHT DC THE ONLY 3 SB TITLES IN THE TROPHY CASE, W/O HIM WE'D BE IN THE SAME SPOT AS THE EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Watch on an ancient viewing device (called a VCR) the Superbowl games of the past and see the Redskins and their fans win (hell, watch clips from the season)

This team is still fighting vs the 2003 group.

I'll take Gibbs 5-11 over Spurrier 5-11 anyday.

PS: Anybody who thinks Spurrier would be any better than 7-9 this year would be crazy. 1st Gibbs brought Williams in not The Danny, so if Spurrier had stayed it would have been another Edwards D-coordinator not Williams. 2nd Spurrier had very lousy TOPs leading to worn out D's in the 4th quarter and us getting blown out--even with Williams as our D coordinator we'd still get beat b/c of our D being worn out.

If Spurrier was still here, Gregg Williams would not be. And who knows what moves would have been made.

Williams input was key in getting defensive free agents.

Would we have Portis if Spurrier was still here?

Would Spurrier have brought in a capable coaching staff? I don't think anyone in their right mind would have joined this staff with him still here. not anyone worth a damn anyway.

Gibbs brought respect, organization and credibility back to the franchise. The team was getting worse under Spurrier. He inherited an 8-8 team and each year the record went down. IMO, it would have been the same this season.

Spurrier's team would have given up. No way he gets them to stick together the whole season. Remember all the finger pointing last season?

Portis probably wouldn't even be here, or if he were, he'd be unhappy because he never got the ball.

Ramsey would have been knocked out at least once but more likely a couple of times with a concussion because of all the protection issues. We'd lead the league in sacks allowed again.

Spurrier failed in the NFL. FAILED. How is there even a comparison to a HALL OF FAME coach that made 4 superbowl appearances and 3 Superbowl wins?

Gibbs' team in 87 set all kinds of Superbowl records. Total offense, passing yards, points scored in a quarter, rushing yards, recieving yards. This poll is ridiculous and a slap in the face to Gibbs and every fan that watched the Redskins Gibbs' first go around.

Archived