Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs or Spurrier?

Saint Joe

Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

Spurrier's team would have given up. No way he gets them to stick together the whole season. Remember all the finger pointing last season?

Portis probably wouldn't even be here, or if he were, he'd be unhappy because he never got the ball.

Ramsey would have been knocked out at least once but more likely a couple of times with a concussion because of all the protection issues. We'd lead the league in sacks allowed again.

Spurrier failed in the NFL. FAILED. How is there even a comparison to a HALL OF FAME coach that made 4 superbowl appearances and 3 Superbowl wins?

Gibbs' team in 87 set all kinds of Superbowl records. Total offense, passing yards, points scored in a quarter, rushing yards, recieving yards. This poll is ridiculous and a slap in the face to Gibbs and every fan that watched the Redskins Gibbs' first go around.

What he said. :yes:

Anyone who doesn't honestly vote Spurrier is just kidding themselves, plain and simple.

All you need to know is one fact. Ramsey would have been the starter from day one.

If the question is who ultimately is setting us up better for 2005 and beyond, then most likely Gibbs is the answer.

I have a couple of handguns y'all can borrow.

If Spurrier hadn't quit. This team would look really different. No Springs, Taylor, Washington, Pierce, Griffin, Cooley, Brunell. Portis.

We would have drafted someone like Roy Williams. Ramsey would have had a ton of passing yards, but the Defense would be bad and Ramsey would have a shattered hip.

Originally posted by SAMB0

spurriur..

Oh and by the way, you all are gonna come in here and post typical homer posts. I mean we all are homers a little bit but you guys see Joe Gibbs as the greatest thing ever when he came back for his 2nd time. I wish we still had Marty and Stephen Davis. We would be one of the Top teams in the league if we kept that team.

So go ahead and post ":rolleyes:" ":doh: " "Youre only 15 you dont understand gibbs"

im 15! i damn well understand! sorta. but i think spurrier woulda had a tad bit better of a record, because he would have been used to us for 3 seasons. now, if they both had 3 seasons, joe gibbs would have spanked SOS

:stick:

If Spurrier could have handled the stress he would still be in Washington and would be in the playoffs this year. The defense may not have been as good, but we would have put up 30 points a game. I don't think Gibbs has caught up with todays NFL. Do I think he will get there? Yes..He got Nascar didn't he. But, Spurrier would have been better this year and I believe he would have only gotten better each year as well.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

I have a couple of handguns y'all can borrow.

If Spurrier hadn't quit. This team would look really different. No Springs, Taylor, Washington, Pierce, Griffin, Cooley, Brunell. Portis.

We would have drafted someone like Roy Williams. Ramsey would have had a ton of passing yards, but the Defense would be bad and Ramsey would have a shattered hip.

This may be controversial, but the idea of having Roy Williams on this WR crew instead of drafting Taylor is an intriguing one. His ability to make plays is one of the many things lacking on this offense. I'd also go as far as to say that the defense's ranking has more to do with the additions of Griffin, Washington and most importantly, Greg Williams, then it does Sean Taylor. As talented as Taylor is, I believe that this defense could have been a top 5 unit without his presence.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but the thought is intriguing nonetheless.

I like Spurrier. I think his system would have worked eventualy and been explosive. But Spurrier made his share of mistakes too and it ruined him here in DC. Time to move on.

Marty is much the same story. His system might have worked but he was a jerk and the players hated him. Danny didn't like all of his moves as a GM and Marty lost his job because he wouldn't give up any athority. Look at him now... Not the GM, treats his players better and changed his system. BECAUSE he got fired he learned to change.

I'm sorry Spurrier didn't end up in Miami. I think he could have learned from his mistakes and made a fresh start work too. But the point is they are both gone and Gibbs is here now. The difference is that while Gibbs has made some mistakes , he never lost his players and he has the clout to hang in. He has also proven time and again that he can adapt and change and that he is a winner in whatever he chooses to work at. And one more time for the hearing impaired... No Gibbs = No Williams.

The irony of the Marty supporters is amazing. You folks are now taking the position of the people who wanted a change then. :laugh:

Originally posted by MikeB

Anyone who doesn't honestly vote Spurrier is just kidding themselves, plain and simple.

All you need to know is one fact. Ramsey would have been the starter from day one.

If the question is who ultimately is setting us up better for 2005 and beyond, then most likely Gibbs is the answer.

Give me a break! Go cheer on S.C. and find a new hobby! SS is a lazy coach who got the big payday. Gibbs is a proven leader and works all night game planning. Gibbs stuck with Brunell because he historically has been a top QB. He thought he would pick up his play and was incorrect with that assessment. Your analogy would have us believe that Gibbs is a loser because he gave a player time to work out his problems and prove himself. Gibbs will have a SB team in two more years. This is GIBBS guys! Four SB appearances with three victories. I would want Gibbs over any other coach in the NFL including if you could resurect some from the dead.

Originally posted by SAMB0

spurriur..

Oh and by the way, you all are gonna come in here and post typical homer posts. I mean we all are homers a little bit but you guys see Joe Gibbs as the greatest thing ever when he came back for his 2nd time. I wish we still had Marty and Stephen Davis. We would be one of the Top teams in the league if we kept that team.

So go ahead and post ":rolleyes:" ":doh: " "Youre only 15 you dont understand gibbs"

Now just a doggone minute there, young man. Two things you have forgotten:

1) Last years team quit on Spurrier. Why? Lack of discipline and leadership. If Spurrier had been here this season, the players would have been seen playing checkers or cards on the sidelines, and chatting on cell phones.

2) The other teams in the league figured out Spurrier's offense. They knew how to attack it and how to cover it. Spurrier did not make good half time or on the fly adjustments.

Can you say 1-15? (I think the defense would have won at least one game.)

Archived