Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier no worse than Gibbs...IN STATS!

SkinsForLife260

I wanted to grab your attention with the title.

GIBBS IS THE BEST COACH IN THE WORLD!

anyone has the chance go look at the Washington Post Sports section today. On the front page shows the comparison between Spurrier last year and Gibbs this year both with one game left. If you don’t then here it is.

Here is the break down.

2003 2004

Spurrier Gibbs

280 Points 219

104.9 Rushing Yds per Game 109.9

4.1 Average Yds per Rush 3.7

7 Rushing TD’s 5

187.1 Passing Yds per Game 162.1

5.32 Average Yd’s Per Pass 5.45

21 Passing Td’s 16

38 Sacks Allowed 35

960 Penalty Yd’s 1,032

256 First Downs 249

32 Percent Third Down Conversions 30 Percent

5-10 Records before last Game 5-10

I am just pointing out something’s that come to mind. With Bugs are you telling me we had 3 sacks less. We have a less average yds per rush? The rushing Td’s come lack because we haven’t been in the red zone that much. And when we have we could not finish, Why because the line didn’t protect. I think this all has to do with Jansen. I didn’t think he played that big of a role, especially on the run. Now I realized his importance. These stats are sad but true. I think with some better talent Bugs will get it done.

Look past the number we are improving!

When I look at those stats what disappoints me maybe the most is the fact that we have more penalty yards than we did under Spurrier.

Like somebody above said, it would be more accurate to compare Spurrier's numbers to Gibbs' numbers after year two with Coach Joe.

One thing is for sure: Gibbs will be better next season. Whether our players elevate their game is another story. While there is a fair amount of criticism that can be directed towards some of the coaching decisions this season, at some point the players got to take the heat.

Unfortunately, even with the greatest coach in the world, at the end of the day it still comes down to player execution. Guys simply got to step up and make plays consistently.

No I think the telling stat is that with all the dinks and dunks, the Brunell debacle and the anemic line our passing stats measure up this closely

187.1 Passing Yds per Game 162.1

5.32 Average Yd’s Per Pass 5.45

Those dinks and Dunks don't look so unproductive compared to Spurrier's fun and gun to me. Not to mention we are comparing Spurrier's SECOND year to Gibb's FIRST. Knock out the first 8 games and then pull up the stats and I bet you see a difference. Gibb's improving and Spurrier's decline. A much more telling tale of where we are headed.

The biggest difference is last year there was no light at the end of the tunnel...this year there is.

also,

One of Spurrier's weaknesses was his coaching staff. He was not going to budge either. At least Gibbs hired Williams. Spurrier would not have hired Williams and instead of playing close games with a chance to win, we would have gotten blown out.

Just suppose...

Spurrier had had Clinton Portis running his draw plays and spread out offense, and Gibbs had been playing Ramsey from day one instead of Brunell.

Spurrier's rushing stats would probably blow Gibbs' away, while Gibbs' passing stats might best Spurrier's. Oh, the irony of the possibilities, or something like that....

Originally posted by FlipFantastic

I think with the refs being so anal about illegal use of the hands, roughing the QB, and pass interference this year, Spurrier's offense might have been very explosive. The guy quit too early, what a putz.

What kind of coach runs away after one losing season?

he had two losing seasons and yes he may have run away too early, but I'm glad we have Gibbs back.

Stats do not lie. Spurrier's system will work in a world of self-motivated individuals. Unfortunately there are a ton of "Leroy Types" in the NFL and managing them is an art form. Look at the prior years of poor records and the attitude of the team vs. this year. Nuff said about that.

Joe Gibbs will beat the pride out of or into this team. Talent and/or heart will replace guys that simply can't get the job done. Players will be replaced simply on there perfomance.

I believe Gibbs simply went with what he did and didn't see on film and felt Brunnell and Portis would fix the offense.

We really didn't need Portis. We could have used another quality RB. If there was enough game film on Betts they probably wouldn't have bet the bank on Portis. You will see a drafted or FA goalline/short yardage back this offseason.

We needed a stable veteran QB. We didn't need Brunnell. Ramsey's two years of tape reveled a player who refused to check down and felt he could win the game with his arm alone. Now he checks down every time because he has been coached to do so. Anyone who noticed Gardner wide open during the Dallas game recognized it. The key word here is "coached". It's not "coach 'em up/get 'em killed".

Look at how many holes were filled on defense this year alone. The second ranked "D" in the NFL with our offense? Spurrier had Marvin Lewis! AND Spurrier had zero patience or skill at anything but coaching QB's & WR's. How many times during Lewis's time did Spurrier put the defense at risk by not being able to run down the clock? You can't run the clock out with draw plays and WR screens.

This offseason you'll see. We'll get a stud center. Someone to replace Dockernuts. Jansen will be back. We'll find a short yardage back somewhere. One of the O-Linemen we picked up will step up. We'll have quality blocking TE's.

Why? Joe Gibbs hates to lose and knows how to win. Plus he doesn't wine about it.

Originally posted by skins0128

Biggest difference I have noticed from last year to this year....

Last year the team flat out quit on the season, rolled over and played dead.

This year, the team plays its arse off, each and every game. Despite our record.

wrong, last year they tried up until the last game...or was it the last two...if you remember, we were in EVERY game last yr just about, like we are this year.....am i the only one that thinks if we couldve had this yr's D, LAST year that we couldve threatened for the playoffs?......and yeah thatd be sweet: gibbs, spurrier, and williams

Archived