Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier no worse than Gibbs...IN STATS!

SkinsForLife260

Originally posted by footballhenry

wrong, last year they tried up until the last game...or was it the last two...if you remember, we were in EVERY game last yr just about, like we are this year.....am i the only one that thinks if we couldve had this yr's D, LAST year that we couldve threatened for the playoffs?......and yeah thatd be sweet: gibbs, spurrier, and williams

Yup, last season 7 losses by 7 or less points. This season 7 losses ny 7 or less points.

Originally posted by Warhead36

Clinton Portis would have been the perfect back in Spurrier's system. Fast, wide open, would have been interesting.

I think a lot of us owe Spurrier an apology. We blahmed him for everything when it was clear that the players had SOMETHING to do with it.

I understand your point. The reason I didn't like Spurrier and by extention am terribly disappointed in Gibbs is that the offense continues to regress. After 15 games in 2002 we scored 287 points and 6 wins (Last game was a win....over Dallas).

Here are the 16 games averages for 2002...

Rushing yards per game: 118.1

Per attempt: 4.3

Rushing TD's: 10

Passing Yards per game: 203.4

Per Pass: 5.82

Pass TD's: 24

Sacks: 38

Penalty Yards: 972

1st Downs: 303

3rd Down %: 39.8

So yes the players or our talent level or whatever on the offensive side of the ball are basically over-rated by us mainly. We get on the national people for lack of respect, but the proof is in the pudding.

Let's face it...If Gibbs is worth two more wins than Spurrier or some other average coach, this is basically a 3 or 4 win team.

I'll never think ill will towards Gibbs because 3 Super Bowls will do that, but that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed and, frankly, shocked by the performance of the offense this season. Sorry, Portis and sensible coaching added to last years team should have improved it. Jansens loss negates the improvement, but why the regression?

When I get really frustrated I want us to cut and trade anyone and everyone on this team as the cap allows. Sign only FA's to 1 year contracts. Trade all 2005 picks into the future and gut the roster completly in order to purge any and all potential crap. Then I want Snyder to fire everyone right down to the janitors and secretaries. Then, of course, he sells the team. The new owner has a clear cap and tons of draft picks and all the new blood to do it right this time.

Just a fantasy of mine.

Originally posted by Saint Joe

Give Spurrier the number two ranked defense like Gibbs had this year and this team is at or near .500, contending for a wildcard.

You cant have it one way and not admit that the other would have been different too.

The numbers on offense this year are comparable to last seasons which was Spurriers second season but the defense sucked last year. If we still had the same defensive rank this year the offense would have done much better this year obviously since Gibbs wouldn't think a 10-7 or a 10-0 lead was enough since we would have been giving up 20+ points every week.

Portis would have a much higher ypc because we wouldnt be sitting on 3 point leads. The passing yardage would have to be up as well because we would have to score more points every week.

Originally posted by FBChick

No I think the telling stat is that with all the dinks and dunks, the Brunell debacle and the anemic line our passing stats measure up this closely

187.1 Passing Yds per Game 162.1

5.32 Average Yd’s Per Pass 5.45

Those dinks and Dunks don't look so unproductive compared to Spurrier's fun and gun to me. Not to mention we are comparing Spurrier's SECOND year to Gibb's FIRST. Knock out the first 8 games and then pull up the stats and I bet you see a difference. Gibb's improving and Spurrier's decline. A much more telling tale of where we are headed.

Totally agree.

Spurrier was all about winning the preseason and did well in the first 4-5 weeks of the season due to unfamiliarity for opposing defenses while Gibbs pregresses during the season and peaks in the last 4-6 weeks.

Look at the first 5 games of last season under Spurrier:

NY Jets Win 16-13

at Atlanta Win 33-31

NY Giants Loss (OT) 21-24

New England Win 20-17

at Philadelphia Loss 25-27

We were 3-2 and could have easily been 5-0.

Look at how we finished that season though. We didnt have many out due to injury either like this season:

Dallas Loss 0-27

at Chicago Loss 24-27

Philadelphia Loss 7-31

How about this years first 5:

Tampa Bay Win 16-10

at NY Giants Loss 14-20

Dallas Loss 18-21

at Cleveland Loss 13-17

Baltimore Loss 10-17

Gibbs first season 1-4. He doesnt have his QB yet. Tons of injuries but still every game was winnable and in the future should all be games we win.

Now for the end of the season:

NY Giants Win 31-7

Philadelphia Loss 14-17

at San Francisco Win 26-16

at Dallas Loss 10-13

at Minn ????

All the games so far were either wins or close games. Now if this was Gibbs second season he should be more comfortable with the OL and Ramsey and would pass in situations to win games and the running game should be able to run down the Clock against Dallas. Also we all know that this team was robbed of a few games this year anyway. Cant say that happened to Spurrier even though the refs almost gave that New England game away. Then consider the Brunell factor.

With more experience in Gibbs system and Gibbs himself getting more comfortable with the players several of the close games we lost last year will be wins in the future like all 4 of the early season losses to NY/Dallas/Cleveland/Baltimore. All 4 of those games SHOULD have been wins. I'm pretty sure that if those 4 were late in our schedule that we would have won all 4 but at least 3. Those teams all fell apart. But the biggest thing is that in no game this year were we out of it. The worst of the season was the 28-6 Eagles loss that we could have just as easily won really. I think that when this OL gets better the whole offense will suddenly kick ass.

If you want to compare apples to apples, you should be comparing Gibb’s first year to Spurrier’s first year.

Spurrier 02 Stat Gibbs 04

307 Total Points 219

118.1 Rushing yards per game: 109.9

4.3 Per attempt: 3.7

10 Rushing TD's: 5

203.4 Passing Yards per game: 162.1

5.82 Per Pass: 5.45

24 Pass TD's: 16

38 Sacks: 35

972 Penalty Yards: 1032

303 1st Downs: 249

39.8 3rd Down %: 30

These stats indicate that Gibb’s team was far worse than Spurrier’s. Considering both coaches had to adjust to the NFL game. One could argue that the adjustment for Gibbs should have been easier for Gibbs than Spurrier given the vast amount of NFL HC experience that Gibbs has had. Spurrier didn’t even realize the NFL was a full time job or know how to organize practices his first season.

I honestly think that Gibbs has done a horrendous job on offense with the talent he has, especially compared to SOS. This offense, while very similar to last years, is much more talented than 2002 in key areas. You replaced Danny Wuerffel with Mark Brunell, which is a wash and a much more experienced Ramsey, Clinton Portis for Robert Gillespie, Chris Cooley for Zeron Flemister, Laverneus Coles for Chris Doering Taylor Jacobs and James Thrash for Cliff Russell and Skaggs. All of these changes at the skill positions are major upgrades from Spurriers team. As for the offensive line, Spurrier had 14 OL on the roster at any given time. When you remove Albright, Samuels and Jansen from that list, only three of the remaining 11 are in the NFL and those three have combined for 1 start this year.

All of the promise that this team has shown this year is on the defensive side of the ball, which Gibbs has stated that he doesn’t touch just like Spurrier. The offense has played poorly (29th yds, 27th scoring), was coached poorly (clock mismanagement, use of timeouts, challenges and delay of game penalties) and has not improved over the course of the year. Ramsey has thrown for 4 more interceptions and 1 more TD than Brunell in nearly the same amount of playing time. Portis has run for less yards the last 7 games than he did the first 7 while scoring only 1 more TD. Nearly 60% of you penalty yards have come in the last seven games. Given how the defense has been playing this year, the offense was placed in better situations to succeed. And as for the injury statements made in the previous posts, the only real offensive injury was Jansen. While Jansen is a solid tackle, his lost should not have caused this offense to be the 29th ranked in the league.

Gibbs may in fact turn this team around in a year or 2 but it is also just as strong a possibility that the game has passed him by and he won’t be able to. His past success (which as a cowboy fan I respect) does not necessarily ensure his future success. Success is largely dependent upon tangible and intangible pieces falling into place at the right time and that is not guaranteed to happen. We will see in another couple of years.

Steve Spurrier's system would have worked if he had run the ball more and thrown it less. Last year, the Redskins started off 3-1 because they ran more than they threw. Spurrier then relapsed to his ineffective fun-n-gun, and the Redskins ended up winning 2 out of their last twelve games as a result.

The problem this year is they are trying to run the ball, but the offense is thwarted because of an inablilty to pass the ball down the field. With injuries, incompetence on the offensive line, the pentalties piling up, Brunell playing like a senior citiizen, Ramsey not throwing very deep, and Portis rushing under 4.0 yds, you have a very mediocre offense.

But something tells me Joe Gibbs, Hall of Fame coach, will make the necessary decisions to make this team better offensively.

Archived