Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well, doesn't look like Spurrier helped too much :).

Art

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/redskins/MGBIGH0SB0D.html

Offensive mind gets defensive

Personnel queries annoy Spurrier

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Apr 22, 2002

ASHBURN - If Steve Spurrier had been wearing a visor, it would have been sent flying across the room.

Yesterday, Spurrier was standing in front of reporters, trying to explain the Washington Redskins' draft choices.

He wasn't having a good day at it, and when it was pointed out he didn't seem to know much about the players his team had just drafted, even the ones he had coached against last season, Spurrier became a little annoyed.

"I certainly didn't investigate all the players on all the other teams, the way some coaches do," Spurrier said. "You know, some coaches love personnel and get into all that. Some love the coaching part of it. I think I'm more into the coaching part of our team than checking all the personnel of all the other teams all around.

"This is not my first year as a head coach, OK? If what I've been doing in the past ain't worth a crap, I don't know how we led the nation in offense, I don't know how many times. Maybe we were just as lucky as we can be."

Spurrier promised he wasn't going to take the lead or even play a big role in the Redskins' draft. It appears he made good on that promise.

For the most part, he seemed to defer to Joe Mendes, the Redskins' vice president for football operations, on whom to draft when and where.

Spurrier said he didn't even know the Redskins were considering drafting quarterback Patrick Ramsey in the first round until two days ago.

Spurrier has said repeatedly that he is a "ball coach." He's willing to let the personnel people find the players. After that, he does the coaching and makes the decisions on who stays and who goes.

As a "ball coach," Spurrier is worried about the players on his team more than the opposing players.

"The way we've been doing it has worked," Spurrier said. "You might ask me who the weak outside linebacker is this week for Arizona, and I might not be able to tell you. I don't know every [opponent's] name, but I will know the names of all our guys and where they're supposed to go, and hopefully, we'll be able to teach them where to go.

"My style of coaching is you should know what your guys are doing. You worry about your guys a lot more than you worry about the other team's guys. That's the way I feel. If I can't answer your questions about personnel on other teams, that's why."

Spurrier believes in his system. He believes his offense will be successful in the NFL, and he believes that his time is best spent directing players to be successful. He'd rather be on the field coaching players than sitting around talking about how good those players might be.

"I will try to watch the opposing defense very much like we did, not only in college, but in my last 18 years as a head coach," Spurrier said. "We don't really emphasize the opponents that much. I don't know if that's smart, stupid or what. We just try to figure out where they line up, what they play and go from there."

Thus informed, the press corps returned to the work room and their laptop computers. Spurrier spent some time thinking about what he had said, how he had said it and how it had been interpreted. A few minutes later, he walked into the press room, unannounced.

"Did you guys see the Mike Martz interview?" Spurrier said. "He said everybody has their own plan, and you have to be flexible along the way. He said he worries more about his team than about the other guys."

Martz is the coach of the St. Louis Rams. The Rams have the NFL's most high-powered offense, were 14-2 last season and lost Super Bowl XXXVI to New England.

"That's the way I've always tried to say things," Spurrier said. "For some reason, it doesn't register with most people."

AND FURTHERMORE - The Redskins drafted six players on the second day of the draft, in the fourth through seventh rounds. One of their three seventh-round picks was defensive end Greg Scott from Hampton University. "He's very raw, but he's big and strong," said Redskins assistant head coach and defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis. "He has big, long hands and fingers. He's kind of a project, but he's a good athlete and is a guy who has a lot of upside. This is a big man who still is growing into his body. He seemed to be mature and can really talk and converse. I was really impressed with him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact Paul Woody at (804) 649-6444 or pwoody@timesdispatch.com

Looks like both Spurrier and The Daniel are happy. Spurrier doesn't have to get invovled in all these damned "personel decisions" and the Daniel has full control over his organization.

Kinda scary. I want to know who is making the draft decisions. I realize that The Daniel probably picked in the first two rounds.

Who drafted after that? Vinny? Mendes? Lewis?

Kinda Scary.

Rumors are heating up in Big D that there may be a trade going through that would land All World TE Tony Gonzalez in Dallas for a 2nd round pick in 2003.

Is that sweet? I don't agree with the trade, but if it happens, I won't complain. TE is not the missing piece on this team.

But can you imagine trying to cover Galloway, Rocket, Antonio Bryant, AND Tony Gonzalez? Man, what a 4 headed monster that's gonna be.

Also, you gotta love that 6'6" WR we drafted from Sacred Heart. What a steal! SIX FOOT SIX!!!!

I can't wait to see 5'8" Rashad Bauman try to cover this guy.

Oh yeah.

I'm excited already... and no Latina hotties either!

E

I'm really beginning to like S2 more and more with each subsequent interview. You just have to love a guy who has that much conviction and passion in his philosophy.

Additionally, I think Spurrier really likes what he has seen of Wueffrel and Rosenfels, so a "franchise" QB to him was not a priority. Sure, getting Harrington was on the radar screen... and S2 really liked what he saw in his mechanics and intangibles.... but I think he's quite confident that both Danny and Sage can run the offense effectively.

Does that mean Ramsey was a wasted pick? Absolutely not! Once he comes to camp and flashes his cannon arm and intelligence, S2 is going to be tickled to death that they traded down and picked him up. The kid simply has all the tools, and the F & G offense suits him to the letter.

Finally, it's going to be a great QB battle....with Craig being the odd man out. I think in the end the battle is between Danny and Sage, and the long term appears to be between Sage and Patrick.

Under my breath, I'm pulling for Sage to win it all. I just love the kids competitiveness and intangibles. But...wouldn't it be nice to see Ramsey come in and excel, while Sage proving he is a viable (if not attractive) back-up? That might mean trade value there, with Danny eventually being the VET back-up to the young gun slinger that is Ramsey.

Just some random thoughts!

If Ramsey is the real deal, then I have no problem letting this be the year he learns on the job and makes his mistakes. We could still end up being a 10-win team with our defense and running game and special teams.

And yeah, I guess that Spurrier is a man of his word regarding personnel decisions. Interesting that Marvin Lewis was able to muster a quote about the merits of one of the players selected, but not Spurrier . . .

Meanwhile, in response to the "I don't spend my time scouting the other team":

Bobby Bowden (Florida State) said last year: "The last time I thought I didn't need to scout some pushover school was against Louisiana State. And some kid I'd never heard of named Brett Favre . . . "

the potential problem I see with this arrangement is if the Redskins start out the season 0-4 and Spurrier comes under pressure because he doesn't have capable performers at a number of critical spots that went unaddressed in the offseason.

then who comes in for the blame? Is Spurrier going to be the good soldier and say he perhaps isn't doing a good enough job coaching or is he going to say he can't win without the horses?

that is the dilemma with a guy this hand's off. The appearance is that someone else is making the personnel decisions so there is room to ask Steve later on the part of the press if perhaps the front office let him down in terms of the draft, if things don't turn out.

I would have been happier if Spurrier had been more involved or at least that had been the general impression he gave.

That way we would see a united front from the team. If there is subsequent failure then EVERYBODY comes in for blame.

This way, there is room for acrimony and recriminations if things aren't rosy down the road.

If a high pick doesn't make it, does Snyder come in for abuse for 'ruining' Steve Spurrier's debut in Washington with some boneheaded decisions on draft day?

That is what Len Pasquarelli and Chris Mortenson will say.

Excellent observation, bulldog. Again, the lack of front-office structure - that is, beyond Snyder at the top - may well plague us here.

It isn't really like it was under JKC, as some have tried to tell us. While JKC most assuredly was capable of exercising total authority and had the final say, his lieutenants were the ones really pulling the strings. And I don't believe that JKC was one to lurk in the war room on draft day and to be the one in front of the cameras to talk about picks. Look who we put in front of the cameras, though: a young owner who's criticized (often rightfully) for being too involved and who didn't know how many QB's were on his team, and our new, unproven (in the NFL) head coach who insisted that he didn't know anything about who was being picked, and didn't want to know. It wasn't the proudest day for our front office.

This article specifically states that Spurrier deferred to Mendes for the most part. Despite that, at least three of you have decided to substitute Snyder in for Mendes in order to discuss this draft. Absent knowledge regarding who made picks in the draft room, I think I'll go with the quotes we've seen that seem to indicate Mendes was in charge of personnel decisions.

It appears to me that Snyder is in charge of providing the resources for which the team can make moves. He told Mendes, here's the cash for Trotter, go get him. He told Mendes, I've got trades lined up for you to move down if you want. I'm working on moving up if you want.

This isn't like JKC who made his football people come to him and explain why they needed something or wanted to do something and approved, always with a, "This had better work out," or declined for whatever reason he gave. Snyder is more active in providing his football people the method by which to select personnel, sign personnel, acquire personnel, whatever. He's going to them with choices saying, "Here's your resource for this guy." We already know Mendes and Spurrier have declined to accept Snyder's manuevering in the past.

We know from Chewy that Snyder provided an avenue by which to get him and Mendes and Spurrier said no thanks. My question is why an article that doesn't mention Snyder but does mention Mendes automatically comes back around to a coversation about Snyder?

Originally posted by Art

My question is why an article that doesn't mention Snyder but does mention Mendes automatically comes back around to a coversation about Snyder?

Because unlike any other "GM" (read as, "person who exercises GM powers" because Mendes is not a GM), Mendes never goes on TV to discuss his moves or what the organization's position is with regards to a certain player or issue. It's always Snyder on that subject, and he didn't even recall that he had Dameyeune Craig on his roster when he was criticizing Sal Paolantonio and ESPN for getting the number of QB's we had wrong. He's also been quoted as saying that it was much more fun to be involved this year than it was last year when Marty was in full control.

The truth is that we don't know who is in charge. What we do know is that we have an owner who has never hired a GM, and who likes to be involved in personnel decisions. So the responsibility is placed at his feet. Fair enough?

Again, I still wonder how we can take an article that flat out says Spurrier deferred to Mendes and somehow substitute Snyder's name there and simply be talking about him here. Further, I watched Snyder's interview with Pal, and to be honest, I don't really think the context of it was that he forgot Craig, so much as he'd just heard Jimmy talk about Ramsey, Wuerffel and Matthews as if they were already done deals.

Snyder didn't mention Sage either. Snyder was talking about Johnson's comment and Sal was talking about the present situation. It was ugly, but, I think it's pretty meaningless because I think it wasn't really the same conversation the two were having. No matter though, we have here an article that says nothing about Snyder, yet, we've gone ahead and made this about Snyder.

I think that's just not very apt here.

bulldog:

“the potential problem I see with this arrangement is if the Redskins start out the season 0-4 and Spurrier comes under pressure because he doesn't have capable performers at a number of critical spots that went unaddressed in the offseason”

redman:

“Excellent observation, bulldog. Again, the lack of front-office structure - that is, beyond Snyder at the top - may well plague us here.”

Joey T:

“You guys remind me of my EX-WIFE. She always had to have a scape-goat. Like, “’jus in case something goes wrong here, where can I put the blame?”

Hey guys, if your panties get wet, ‘jus throw them in the dryer instead of trying to wring them out here. Snyder, Menendes, Spurrier, nor Cerrato can be faulted yet.

If it happens, then B!TCH, until it does, chill my brothers

:cheers:

Guest Goatroper

Glad to see the new Redskins coach doesn't bother too much with the nuisance of informing himself about his opponents' personnel. Go, Genius, Go.

I know this next statement may sound like smack, and I apologize for it in advance, but

We are going to kick your butts as long as Spurrier is in charge.

About that Thanksgiving potluck supper -- what are you guys bringing?

Being out here in the Hinterlands, I didn't hear or see much of what you guys are talking about, but I did see SS seemingly frustrated early on Sunday when talking to the Edge Match-up crew. He busted Hodges chops about the supossed lack of protections. He seemed to be ticked, short and defensive.

I have absolutely NO problem with that at all.

Also, he didn't know who Suze was and sombody off camera was trying to whisper her name to him but it was all caught on the mike. Too funny.

Agree with Art, how did this turn into a Snyder conversation? Leave the man alone. Give Snyder 7-10 years and he will be THE MAN as far as ownership goes.

Goatroper - What good did analyzing the Cowboys do for Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer? I think Mike Martz has done pretty well using the same approach Spurrier intends on employing. All those long days and late nights... what it'd it do for Jim Haslett's boys in New Orleans?

To assume there's only 1 formula for success in the NFL is idiotic.

But it would explain why the Cowboys have tried in vain to find another TE in the mold of Jay Novacek.

Guest Goatroper

I don't think Mister Jones is finished looking for that TE yet. Stay tuned, though. He might be lining one up as we speak.

Perhaps we can better assess Spurrier's style after he has won a game in the NFL.

Goatroaper, you must keep us abrest of this situation...I am so excited that my body is tingling all over...is it normal for my nipples to be so hard? anyway, please let me know the instant Jerry Jones lines up the next Cowboy TE

Goat,

I have no problem with Spurrier lacking focus on the opposition's personnel. Spurrier isn't the type to enter a game saying, "Ok, this team has Charles Woodson, and we're going to avoid him." He's gong to analyze defensive looks and tendencies and he's going to coach his players to be in spots where your players aren't.

He doesn't have to kinow the names of everyone. Hell, I know coaches who didn't know the names of his own players. All Spurrier has to do is coach his players to be where they ain't and that'll work out fine. I think you're in for a very rude awakening when you see what the man can do offensively and, we know what Lewis can do defensively.

Archived