Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Reid on washington

The_Posse91

Originally posted by Rockville Redskin

We're talking about what could happen in this game...we aren't going to utilize Betts as well....Last game whatever I don't think this game is going to be cakewalk like you think it maybe

Okay sorry 13 carries 28 yds. Ahman Green = 11 carries 37 yds.

Our run defense is improving (I hope)

Originally posted by El Capitan

It's an expression by Buddy Ryan. If you average less than 4 YPC you suck. That simple also, I can get 1,000 yards behind the Denver offensive line. (See Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, and Ruben Droughns)

John Riggins must have sucked then, averaging 3.1 and 3.6 ypc in the superbowl years. And so did Earnest Byner, 3.8 in the superbowl year. These are useless runningbacks who helped teams win superbowls! :laugh:

Buddy Ryan said it, so it must be true. After all, he really won a lot of Superbowls, didn't he. :laugh: :laugh:

By the way, Portis already has 1000 yards behind our dysfunctional o-line featuring a 41 year old at right tackle.

"I can get 1,000 yards behind the Denver offensive line" - how original. Did you come up with that yourself? Impressive. :rolleyes:

Saying one back is better than another purely based on ypc is stupid. Based on this logic, Betts is better than Portis. And also based on this logic, Tomlinson shares honors with Portis for being the most overrated back in football, since he has 3.8 ypc this year.

Yeah, I am sure any power running team would rather have Westbrook instead of Portis or Tomlinson. :laugh:

I'm guessing the only time you've seen Portis is the first Eagles-Redskins game this year?

Otherwise you're going to have to give me something besides stats. The kid is a preternaturally gifted running back - if you can't see that, you've got some serious issues. The stats aren't arguable, and I know we're in the 'Moneyball' era where that's all people are willing to look at, but c'mon now.

Unreal RB, wouldn't trade him for anyone, and no one in the NFC East is even worth condsidering.

It's an expression by Buddy Ryan. If you average less than 4 YPC you suck. That simple also, I can get 1,000 yards behind the Denver offensive line. (See Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, and Ruben Droughns)

Interesting. Hard to believe you can argue Portis is only a system back while trumping Westbrook as anything more than a system back with a straight face. If you put Westbrook on any other NFC East team, he's average at best. And don't get too carried away with Jones until he gets 1500 yards and 15 TDs... for ANY team.

By the way, I know that Westbrook's 4.2 YPC is stellar, even HOF material, but that comes out to being about what, 8 inches more per carry than Portis?

Originally posted by Fatty P For The Pulitzer

Interesting. Hard to believe you can argue Portis is only a system back while trumping Westbrook as anything more than a system back with a straight face. If you put Westbrook on any other NFC East team, he's average at best. And don't get too carried away with Jones until he gets 1500 yards and 15 TDs... for ANY team.

By the way, I know that Westbrook's 4.2 YPC is stellar, even HOF material, but that comes out to being about what, 8 inches more per carry than Portis?

It's even worse that he's got 4.6 YPC not 4.2 and he's got a career 5.2 and he wouldn't have a 4.6 if he played injured in a couple games and didn't have goalline dives in Dallas and the game in Washington. Westbrook is a system back?

Duce Staley 3.6 YPC SAME OFFENSIVE LINE. Correll Buckhalter 3.9 YPC. SAME OFFENSIVE LINE. Westbrook 5.0 YPC SAME OFFENSIVE LINE.

Leave it to an Eagle fan to quote Buddy Ryan and assume it's divine wisdom, especially with regards to offensive players. Portis actually averages 4.0 ypc and he actually has 5 TDs, by the way.

Emmitt Smith had 5 seasons where he averaged 4.0 ypc or worse, Walter Payton had 4, Marcus Allen 8 and John Riggins 9. All those guys are in the Hall of Fame. Remember Ricky Watters? I think he played for you guys for awhile. He had 5 seasons averaging 4 ypc or worse, after two of which he went to the pro-bowl.

I know now that your sporting a glorified third down back in your backfield, Eagle fans have collectively decided that ypc is the be-all and end-all of a RB's value, but that's just flat out idiocy. Good RBs can churn out yards on the ground, too. In fact, that's usually their primary function. That's why we call them running backs.

It's even worse that he's got 4.6 YPC not 4.2 and he's got a career 5.2 and he wouldn't have a 4.6 if he played injured in a couple games and didn't have goalline dives in Dallas and the game in Washington. Westbrook is a system back?

Duce Staley 3.6 YPC SAME OFFENSIVE LINE. Correll Buckhalter 3.9 YPC. SAME OFFENSIVE LINE. Westbrook 5.0 YPC SAME OFFENSIVE LINE.

OK, so he's got just over a foot and a half more per carry than Portis this year, which is pretty impressive when you ignore the fact that his offense gets roughly 110 more passing YPG than Portis'. I doubt that has anything to do with it. And I'm not sure where you are getting Westbrook's career avg being 5 or higher, but I'm sure Staley's and Buckhalter's numbers last year could have something to do with Donovan's roughly 80 more passing ypg and more than double passing TDs per game than last year. Westbrook is a product of having 2 of the best offensive players in the NFC on the field with him. When you're halfway decent and are the 3rd player teams need to worry about, you can put up pretty good numbers (ahem... Reggie Wayne).

Originally posted by bulldog

Westbrook benefits from the presence of McNabb and Owens. he is not a feature player in their offense but the #3 option.

Portis is the focal point for opponents as the Redskins don't have a pro bowl qb or wide receiver to take the heat off.

If Westbrook were here in DC his yards per carry average wouldn't be over 5.0 my friend :laugh:

In fact Westbrook based on the number of games he has missed in his career and his splitting duty with Staley until 2004 hasn't yet proved to be a full-time starting back yet.

Let's see the guy be COUNTED ON in the offense before we go and put him in a category with Portis or Barber that have a HISTORY of performance :)

Julius Jones? Yep, by your yardstick TWO games makes the guy the next Walter Payton or Emmitt Smith, eh? :laugh:

I think it's also worth mentioning that while Portis and Westbrook have accumulated similar yardage totals, Westbrook's output accounts for only 28% of the Eagle offensive yards and 23% of their TD scoring, while Portis accounts for 40% of our offense and 27% of our TDs. Westbrook is obviously benefitting from playing with much more balanced and productive surrounding talent, whereas Portis is pretty much on his own.

Come on, boys. Why do we even need to have a pissing match on who is the better back? It's stupid and pointless.

Westbrook is a TD scoring machine. He is the PERFECT WCO runningback. I could care less what he WOULD be on another team. As a matter of fact, I hope other teams view him as only a WCO so we have a better chance of signing him longterm.

Portis is a stud. We all know that. Is he the back made for a Gibbs system? Logic says the answer is inconclusive at this point.

Would he be good for Andy's WCO? The answer is no.

We are happy with what we have. You seem to be happy with what you have. Let's just leave it at that.

Originally posted by Henry

Leave it to an Eagle fan to quote Buddy Ryan and assume it's divine wisdom, especially with regards to offensive players. Portis actually averages 4.0 ypc and he actually has 5 TDs, by the way.

Emmitt Smith had 5 seasons where he averaged 4.0 ypc or worse, Walter Payton had 4, Marcus Allen 8 and John Riggins 9. All those guys are in the Hall of Fame. Remember Ricky Watters? I think he played for you guys for awhile. He had 5 seasons averaging 4 ypc or worse, after two of which he went to the pro-bowl.

I know now that your sporting a glorified third down back in your backfield, Eagle fans have collectively decided that ypc is the be-all and end-all of a RB's value, but that's just flat out idiocy. Good RBs can churn out yards on the ground, too. In fact, that's usually their primary function. That's why we call them running backs.

So I guess Roger Craig sucked didn't he?

So I guess Roger Craig sucked didn't he?

No, but he wasn't better than Emmitt Smith simply because he caught a lot of passes. Noone's saying that Westbrook sucks, just that your statistical analysis is deeply flawed.

Westbrook36, that's fine. But you may as well accept the fact that when an Eagle fan hijacks a thread with statements like "the most overrated RB in the NFL Clinton Portis" and "he's the worst RB in the division" Redskin fans are going to address them. Sorry. :)

Excellent post bulldog. No one here says Westbrook is not a good back, he makes the offense go. So Freddie, you wanna talk about a system back, Brian Westbrook's picture would be right beside the definition of a system back. Not that there is anything wrong with a system back, you just don't see the point. Calling one the best is very, very subjective. Remember the Eagles were the ones who thought Thrash was a number 1, not us. Hell, you guys even thought Freddie was a #1. Thrash didn't do bad there considering he was misplaced. There is no question about how great TO is. We are glad to have Thrash back. Seriously, come back and talk sh!t when you win the Super Bowl. Probably won't happen, but oh well.

Originally posted by bubba9497

if Westbrook is such a rushing weapon why doesn't the eagle run the ball more?

hmmmmm

Thats Easy, cause Andy Reid KNOWS that he can't handle the load of 25-30 carries consistantly. Despite this, we STILL have some Eagles' fans who are quick to lift him up while shooting Portis down.

Originally posted by cphil006

...and do what with it? read it? The Eagles have more illiterate fans than any other pro sports team in the U.S.

Funny because Washington has the highest poverty rate on the East coast. Eagles fans are smart fans.

You try to dispute illiterate fans with a city's poverty rate & then claim Eagles fans are smart fans. What a way to prove cphil006 right. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by BD

Coach Reid: "We respect the Washington Redskins. So if you're going to their stadium, please do not pee on the seats in front of you."

He respects all NFL teams.

Except the Arizona Cardinals. Nobody respects them.

Losers.

:laugh: :laugh:

Archived