Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colts and Harrison agree to 7 year extension

pr11fan

Originally posted by laurent

The Colts will be in cap hell, mark my words. You can only borrow cap dollars for so long until it blows up in your face. ;)

No they won't! See they can just keep restructuring deals, and giving huge signing bonuses out as incentive. They can get the actual cap hits for their franchise players down to 550k. So long as they keep putting up the money they will be just fine.

...Whew even I couldn't type that with a straight face...

Originally posted by redman

I have all the respect in the world for Harrison - he's a sure HoF'er - but this seems like a silly extension to me. Harrison is 32 years old and this year the Colts have demonstrated that the other WR's are at least as important and productive as he is. While everyone knows that this contract won't last seven years, the fact is that it does commit the Colts to at least three years, if not four or five as a practical matter. However, in the next two years I think Harrison's going to merely be a #2 or #3 WR for them in the same way that Jerry Rice became for the 49'ers and Raiders in his later years. I don't see the long-term benefit here.

I don't think we have much room to talk. *cough* Brunell *cough*:doh:

Let's see.

You've got a 32 year old WR in the midst of his lowest receiving totals in 5 years.

You've got strong emerging talent at WR and pass-catching TE.

You've got the worst ranked D in the AFC.

You've got boatloads of cash already tied up in the offense.

And you've got a RB on pace for over 2200 total yards who's averaging more yds/carry than ever in his career and is hitting FA after this season.

This is a bad move. A very bad move.

Originally posted by posse

WOW!!!!!

What an amazing bonus for such an amazing player.

There goes my dreams about Marvin Harrison playing for the Washington Redskins.

He's awesome but not worth 22 million at 32 years old, especially not considering the qb and the emergence of Reggie Wayne imo.

whoa, hes 32 years old? I thought he was only like 29 or 30, seems foolish to give a 22 milliong SB doesnt it? You can really only expect 3-4 more years of solid productivity out of him I feel, and he has a smaller frame, one never knows. I feel the should have kept him, but they gave Peyton a 34 million bonus, and now a 22 million bonus to Marvin, rediculous.

Originally posted by G.Smitty

Last year there is no way I would have said this, but I think they overpaid.

With the production that all three of their WR's are having I'm not sure if he is worth a 22 million dollar bonus.

He definately is a great WR but with the way Stokely and Wayne are playing I almost have to wonder if they could have got away without paying Harrison 22 million up front.

The thing is, part of what makes those two receivers great is that Harrison is so great. The textbook example of what happens when an amazing #2 receiver becomes a #1 receiver is Peerless Price. He was absolutely incredible in Buffalo, then he moved to Atlanta and isn't getting anything because he's getting covered by the #1 CB.

Harrison is a HOF thanks to manning, He put up respectable if not average numbers with harbaugh erickson etc, before manning came. Where would he be without manning? This is another reason ART MONK should be in the HOF he broke records with different QB's almost every other season.

The emergence of Wayne and Stokely is partially due to the presence of Marvin Harrison. Without the presence of Harrison, do you honestly believe Stokely and Wayne would be having the seasons that they are having?

I don't believe Harrison is on the decline at all. It's just that as a result of the double teams he faces, Manning is getting his other receivers involved, thus reducing Harrison's stats.

Combine this with a young playmaking defense that is getting better with every game, and I think this is a good move for the Colts. Even if they lose Edge, they still have Rhodes, who has some ability, as well as the potential of receiving picks if Edge is tagged.

I think its a good move for Indy.

Great deal for the Colts, the reason all the other WR's are having career years is because of Harrison. When you are constantly going up against a safety as a third WR you should be putting up a career year.

Why would Harrison want to leave Manning, they will go down as the best combo ever.

I think the reason the skins get jumped on is because how many big contracts we have, and the fact we haven't sniffed the playoffs in years.

Originally posted by The_Posse91

Harrison is a HOF thanks to manning, He put up respectable if not average numbers with harbaugh erickson etc, before manning came. Where would he be without manning? This is another reason ART MONK should be in the HOF he broke records with different QB's almost every other season.

Looking at Harrison's stats, no matter who the QB is you have to be an amazing reciever to put up those type of numbers. Manning didn't turn him from a 60 catch, 800 yard, 7 TD performer into a 140 catch, 1700 yard, double digit TD performer all by himself. That is simply not possible.

That is like saying Rice is only a HOFer because he had Montana and Young. That couldn't be further from the truth. They both made each other great, and with the presence Harrison brings it has allowed Wayne and Stokley to produce as well. The difference between the Colts and the Eagles is Manning can rely on his other recievers beating 1-on-1 coverage consistently, where McNabb can't. So McNabb always ends up only finding Owens wide open and giving him the rock. What McNabb is experiencing is the exact same situation Manning was in 2-3 years ago.

Archived