Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colts and Harrison agree to 7 year extension

pr11fan

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3230346

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Posted: 17 minutes ago

Marvin Harrison has now officially benefited from Peyton Manning's stellar season. League sources tell FOXSports.com that the Colts and Harrison have agreed to a seven-year, $66 million extension with a stunning $22 million in guaranteed bonus money.

The deal averages about $9 million per year during the first four years, including bonus money, but is still relatively cap-friendly.

Calls to Harrison's agent Tom Condon and the Colts have not been returned.

The Colts are now in position to retain all three members of their Triple Threat. With Harrison's deal done, the Colts can now turn their attention to fellow free agent-to-be Edgerrin James. If they don't get a deal done with James, they can use the franchise tag to retain his rights.

In 12 games this year, Harrison has 67 receptions for 870 yards and 12 touchdowns. During a Monday Night Football game against the Vikings in Week 9, he and Manning hooked up for the 664th time, breaking the NFL record for most completions by a quarterback-receiver tandem.

Earlier in that same game, Harrison collected his 800th catch. It took him just 131 games to reach that milestone, 23 fewer than the next quickest receiver, Jerry Rice

Originally posted by jpgirth

Sounds like someone is going to give up picks?

Miami?

No chance. They won't be able to franchise him. They need too much help elsewhere, and they can draft a good running back in the 2nd round this year because no teams really need one.

If the skins made this deal it would just be another move towards cap hell...but the colts with already giving Manning a 900 million contract or whatever it was this deal is "cap friendly". I would laugh if I wasn't crying so much.

**edit**

Didn't see your post there Nto...agree 100%

Last year there is no way I would have said this, but I think they overpaid.

With the production that all three of their WR's are having I'm not sure if he is worth a 22 million dollar bonus.

He definately is a great WR but with the way Stokely and Wayne are playing I almost have to wonder if they could have got away without paying Harrison 22 million up front.

Originally posted by manichispanic

hate to state the obvious but as it said in the article, Harrison gets double teamed thus allowing wayned and stokley to beat 1 on 1 coverage.

With the amount of passing and productivity from all over the field, I find it hard to believe that opposing teams would double-team anyone rather than have an extra person in deep zone or going after Manning. Doubling Harrison seems kind of pointless. If they are doubling him, he's still found the end zone 12 times, so maybe he's worth losing out on James and a defense.

I have all the respect in the world for Harrison - he's a sure HoF'er - but this seems like a silly extension to me. Harrison is 32 years old and this year the Colts have demonstrated that the other WR's are at least as important and productive as he is. While everyone knows that this contract won't last seven years, the fact is that it does commit the Colts to at least three years, if not four or five as a practical matter. However, in the next two years I think Harrison's going to merely be a #2 or #3 WR for them in the same way that Jerry Rice became for the 49'ers and Raiders in his later years. I don't see the long-term benefit here.

Archived