Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quotes from Giants

afparent

"We knew what the Redskins were going to do and we still didn't stop it," Tom Coughlin said. "They took two drives over 90 yards. They hadn't done that all year long."

"It was an embarrassing situation," said defensive end Osi Umenyiora. "They were getting seven yards on first down and I had never seen anything like that. I never thought that could happen to us."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/259440p-222252c.html

"You're not going to win the game if you can't do something about stopping the run," Tom Coughlin said, the words flying out of his mouth in a hurried jumble. "You can't run the football if you can't physically be in the position to compete for the game."

"We physically got whipped," he said, "on both sides of the ball."

"They played a great game and we played a terrible game," left tackle Luke Petitgout said.

"They lined a tight end up at receiver and he came in and cut me from a receiver position," Green complained. "Why? They wanted me off the field. They knew what they were doing. They wanted me off the field and they did it."

"It was amazing," said defensive end Osi Umenyoria, who joins Lance Legree in replacing Michael Strahan and Keith Washington. "We knew they'd run the ball outside, and [Portis] would cut it back and nobody would be there.

"It was bad, embarrassing. They were getting 7, 8 yards on first down. I never thought that could happen to us. I feel bad for the coaches, because they're going to take the fall for something us as players should've been able to handle."

"We knew exactly what they Redskins would do, and we still didn't stop it," said Coughlin, whose Giants refused to use the injuries to Strahan and Washington, or the lack of depth they created, as an alibi.

"I don't think it was fatigue," Umenyoria said. "We just got manhandled today."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants/32541.htm

Do you REALLY think they knew what we were going to do? How about that shuttle pass for the TD. Did it LOOK like they knew what we were going to do?

I'd have to say they DIDN'T know ALL the time what we were going to do. Do you remember all the shifting at the line during which the defense looked confused and a linebacker was out of place. We ran for 8 or 9 yards on that play.

F-ck these "we knew" quotes. I think, sure, they knew we were going to run. But execution has a lot to do with it. We played our asses off. But Gibbs also mixed up his playcalling. I don't think they KNEW what we were going to do a lot of the time. It's just their way of saving face. It was embarassing because we played football Gibbs' way and it worked.

F-ck the Giants. They can go to hell! We wiped their asses all over Fedex field. Wussies!

I don't think it was big secret that the skins were going to run. Gibbs ran a balanced attack and mixed up his play calling. The Giants knew we were going to run, but didn't know if it was up the middle or outside or a shuttle pass to Portis. The question now is can we run against Philly?

"We knew exactly what they Redskins would do, and we still didn't stop it," said Coughlin, whose Giants refused to use the injuries to Strahan and Washington, or the lack of depth they created, as an alibi.

If they knew what was going to happen, it wasn't obvious from the look on Coughlin's face during the first two TD's. My favorite is this one from (I assume) Barrett Green...

"They lined a tight end up at receiver and he came in and cut me from a receiver position," Green complained. "Why? They wanted me off the field. They knew what they were doing. They wanted me off the field and they did it."

Yeah... getting him off the field was the key to the 'Skins' victory. It was in the game plan... :doh:

Nick

Edit: Why is it that people keep pointing to the injuries on the Giants D, but never mention ours and the fact that our own D has kept on rolling along... ?

Every team in the league knows what everyone else is doing. You cant expect any team to change its playbook completely week after week. It all comes down to execution and the 'Skins executed as well as they have all year yesterday.

Look at Indy. They run the same plays over and over (especially in the red zone) and no one can stop them because they execute damn close to perfection.

Originally posted by acuradriver77

Feels good that we are working to be a football team that when we execute "right", we can be very hard to stop.

I think we'll see alot more of Ladell in this game and then once we wear them down a little, bring in Portis to run circles around Trotters ugly a$$.

First game in several that I was calling the play and it didn't go where I thought it would go...

For weeks I have been calling the play (run or pass) and direction (left, right , middle).

The playcalling yesterday was fresh and kept me on my toes.

I had previously been trying to prove a point but I think that point was addressed by the coaching staff.

Edit: Why is it that people keep pointing to the injuries on the Giants D, but never mention ours and the fact that our own D has kept on rolling along... ?[/Quote]

Because the people that the Giants have lost have been lost for the year. Granted, you guys haven't had Barrow whom you never had and apparently never needed. And you guys have been without Arrington but have found a suitable replacement. But the rest of the guys you have been talking about being injured I saw playing yesterday. The Giants lost five key defensive guys for the year. Plus, they were without Norman Hand who is their best run stopper. And they are without Gibril Wilson who also may be lost for the year. The Giants are signing guys off the street who haven't played football all year and some you've never heard of

Now, I'm not sure if it was a cheap block or not, but whatever happened to Barret Green may have put him out for the year which is why he is so upset.

Hey, the Giants got whooped yesterday. No ifs or ands. I will throw in a but. Whether you want to hear it or not, their defense is depleted and there are not many suitable replacements that have been found. The Giants got off to a good start and were lucky with injuries. After that they started piling on. And not just on defense, on the offensive line too.

It isn't an excuse, it is a fact. And let's not forget they are starting a rookie QB who apparently while has a lot of potential, is far from being ready to lead this team to victory.

These are facts, not excuses.

Tom,

Have you ever heard of Bowen or Daniels? Daniels is our best run defender and has been out most of the year. Bowen is our starting strong safety who was dynamic in that role until he was hurt. I'd wager we have more injuries than you have in terms of games to starters lost.

Art,

I'm not sure on the extent of Redskin player injuries but the Giants lost Strahan, Washington, Wilson, Williams, Stoutmuire and now maybe Barret Green who has missed a lot of time anyway. Plus they were without Norman Hand yesterday.

Have the Redskins been injured a lot too? Maybe as much as the Giants? I don't know. What I do know is apparently the Giants have not found a way to compensate for those losses and are suffering because of it. They haven't caused turnovers the way they were since they lost all of those guys.

I give credit to the Skins front office for having the people in place to replace those who got injured. The Giants did not and are paying the price for it.

Comparing one's teams injuries to anothers isn't really a good barometer on how those injuries have affected that team. The Giants' injuries have obviously had a greater impact than the Redskins' injuries. The Redskins aren't the only team who have ran all over the Giants. If they were than I would say what happened yesterday was totally because of them. But I can't say that. And we will find out in the next couple of weeks when we see if the Skins can do it to anyone else and if teams continue to do it to the Giants.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

And I give all the credit for that to the Skins' FO and their D coordinator.

I also blame the Giants' FO for not having depth on D which if you've seen some the replacements, you see that they don't.

Tom,

I see what you mean. The Redskins have been very succuessful filling gaps left by injury. I attribute some of our success with that to the FO, some to luck, and mostly to the coaching. Williams just seems to be able to coach these 2nd and 3rd string guys up.

Originally posted by Potato Sack

Do you REALLY think they knew what we were going to do? How about that shuttle pass for the TD. Did it LOOK like they knew what we were going to do?

I'd have to say they DIDN'T know ALL the time what we were going to do. Do you remember all the shifting at the line during which the defense looked confused and a linebacker was out of place. We ran for 8 or 9 yards on that play.

F-ck these "we knew" quotes. I think, sure, they knew we were going to run. But execution has a lot to do with it. We played our asses off. But Gibbs also mixed up his playcalling. I don't think they KNEW what we were going to do a lot of the time. It's just their way of saving face. It was embarassing because we played football Gibbs' way and it worked.

F-ck the Giants. They can go to hell! We wiped their asses all over Fedex field. Wussies!

Agreed. All they "knew" was that we'd run the ball heavily, that is it. Not where or how, as evidenced by the linebackers being completely out of position after multiple shifts.

Injuries, sminjuries...

We have been beaten down by injuries and this list doesn't even count the game missed here and there or the players playing with obvious injuries...

Matt Bowen - out for the season

Phillip Daniels - out for the season

Lavar Arrington (9-10 games and counting)

Michael Barrow - never played a down

Jon Jansen - never played a down

Randy Thomas - in & out for the last several games

John Hall - missed 3-4 games???

Khary Cambell - Out for year

Andre Lott - out for year

I'm surprised Eli Manning and the offense isn't getting some heat with how terrible he is playing. As I said before, his game is weak and the only chance the Giants had to win was if they put Kurt Warner in.

But I love watching Eli fail after that crybaby stunt he pulled on draft day, which took selfishness in the NFL to a new low.

Archived