Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will it catch up to us.

Art

Art, good post and I agree with many of the same concerns. I think it is just a matter of time before the D has a bad game. Happens to everyone.

I have been talking to some packer fans lately. They are banged up as well. If we can pressure Farve, who has a banged up hand, I think we can create turnovers.

Green Bay has started to play better the last two games, but they are not as good as last year. I also think Farve has lost a little over the years and is not as dominant as he once was. Their secondary is banged up and can be exploited.

All that said, we need to show up and the offense needs to score some points if we are going to win.

Art...your post had me thinking if any other team has been in the same position with so many key injuries to star players on defense. It led me to consider the viability of last year's Patriots' 'second-team' defense. When we faced them last year, many of their starters on defense, eight if I remember correctly, were missing.

As wildbill said, and you acknowledged, the scheme is the most important thing. Mistakes will be made, as defense, no matter how schematic in origin and execution, is still not "plug and play." There is still a necessarily athleticism, intelligence, etc. All these points have been stated before, but I thought them worth mentioning again because they lead me to point out that the reserves that we have do have the talent to enter as substitutes and still make the grade and make plays. Granted no one can fully take the place of LaVar or the potential of Barrow and the random brilliance of Sean Taylor, but we have some great backups. Will they collapse?--I don't think so. The reserves on the Pats weren't able to exactly mimic the proficiency of the people they replaced, but did a pretty good job themselves and were able to still make a lot of great plays.

If the Pats were able to string together a solid string of wins, I think around four, before their starting defense was reassembled from injury, then we are capable of the same thing. Our reserves are just as capable as theirs were a year ago.

If a team has viable substitutes, as I believe the 'Skins do, then the scheme will take over and (defensive) success will follow.

EDIT: Changed a lot of content & spelling.

Brunell's lack of productivity just about guarantees that the Redskins have to throw a near shutout against Brett Favre for the Redskins to win.

I don't think it is going to happen, unless Favre's injured hand prevents him from finishing the game. Then we get lucky as the Giants did a few weeks ago in Lambeau.

But if Favre is on and the Packers line gives him good time as they have been this season, I think the Redskins are going to get exposed.

Not playing Taylor may be a 'moral' statement to the young man, but it sure doesn't help us beat the Packers.

Like you guys, there is simply no way to rationalize a win Sunday. No way you can justify or even envision it.

But...

Sometimes those are the times you are just totally thrown for a loop. Just flat out shocked.

I don't know what it is, and if could be just fear of the impending reality (2-5, season teetering on OVER), but I have a strange calm feeling that I can't understand.

Hoping its a bit of intuition and unexpected good things happen for us.

And hey, Kerry can't win, can he? :(

Out of curiosity I went back and checked last year's scores for Buffalo on defense, being that Greg Williams had them ranked 2nd overall. They had a similiar defense to ours this year, in that they didn't have much of a pass rush on the DL as I recall. Here's what the scores show in their games last year.

Yes, their defense did collapse and it did catch up to them in at least five games where they gave up 23, 30, 38, 28 and 31 points. :(

I know their offense struggled last year with Drew Bledsoe, but I don't know if was better or worse then ours this year under Mark Brunell?

New England - 0

Jacksonville - 17

Miami - 17

Philadelphia - 23

Cincinnati - 16

NY Jets - 30

Washington - 7

Kansas City - 38

Dallas - 10

Houston - 12

Indianapolis - 17

NY Giants - 7

NY Jets - 6

Tennessee - 28

Miami - 20

New England - 31

Originally posted by MikeB

Like you guys, there is simply no way to rationalize a win Sunday. No way you can justify or even envision it.

But...

Sometimes those are the times you are just totally thrown for a loop. Just flat out shocked.

I don't know what it is, and if could be just fear of the impending reality (2-5, season teetering on OVER), but I have a strange calm feeling that I can't understand.

Hoping its a bit of intuition and unexpected good things happen for us.

And hey, Kerry can't win, can he? :(

I feel the same way. We are due a win in a game we should lose. But I still predict a loss to GB 23-16 or 27-20. Something like that.

Would be nice if somehow Portis is unstoppable this week and runs for 215 yards on 24 carries and 3 TD's but that would require Brunell to actually play better than he did against Dallas I think.

Taylor has just been coming into his own on the feild the past couple of games. Plus we've already played a good deal of games with out Arrington or Daniels, but still have had a monsterous D. Williams has too many backups that can come out and play. It won't be as dominant as it could be, but it's still working. It'll keep working till everyones on the bench and all we have is Jimoh. :)

The scheme has worked all year. We have been fortunate to get to see many players step up on the D. We have depth that nobody thought we had at the beginning of the year! We just need the O to start working and controlling the ball more and we will be fine as long as Farve is not too hot!!

Originally posted by atloldskin

The scheme has worked all year. We have been fortunate to get to see many players step up on the D. We have depth that nobody thought we had at the beginning of the year! We just need the O to start working and controlling the ball more and we will be fine as long as Farve is not too hot!!

Thats the truth. Tomorrow's game will be decided by Brunell and company, not Williams and company.

Can someone comment on the fact that Green Bay is most likely missing their 2 starting cornerbacks for this game? Both of them! We keep talking about our injuries and inactive players, talk about theirs. Or talk about their starting defensive tackle, i think his name is Grady Jackson, about how he is not playing due to injury as well! Maybe Brunell will launch a few and 50/50 will make up for his notorious birthday party and grab a few.

Originally posted by MikeB

Thats the truth. Tomorrow's game will be decided by Brunell and company, not Williams and company.

As I respect your concerns about the offense I'm inclined to disagree with you to a certain extent. Though I do feel like the offense have to control the clock and manage the game better than the past few games, I believe that the defense can not allow GB to get into a rythem, which means forcing three and outs. Lets not forget we will be dealing with a QB that will be in the hall of fame someday. I do agree with you in the sense that the offense has to score more points and keep GB's offense off of the field, but if it is any time that we needed our defense and Gregg Williams it is definately this week.

Archived