Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will it catch up to us.

Art

Arrington out again. Pierce a little undersized at middle backer. Taylor out. Noble still working back. Salave'a out the previous game. Daniels just returning after being out most of the preseason and year. Bowen out for the year. Lott just returning from injury. The defense is tops in the league. But, how much longer can it survive the level of injury it's had before teams start to exploit the backups a bit more.

It's a worry into this game. Fortunately Williams has had two weeks to design something for Green Bay. Unfortunately, without Taylor, I'm guessing that design just got a little bit worked over :).

One of these weeks the defense is going to have "a bad day," and it could easily happen against Brett Favre even *without* all the injuries. This would be a really good week for the offense to finally step up and do more than just control the clock but also score some points.

Yeah I know, duh. ;)

I was nervous about this game when I thought Arrington, Daniels and Taylor were playing.

Now I'm downright scared. This could get ugly very quickly.

The key, I believe, is for the offense to not suck it up.....if we keep going 3 and out and the "patched together D" is on the field continuously - it will crumble.

I think Williams has done a super job w/ what he has had and adapted to change magnificently....but there is a limit to what can be done w/ limited resources.....

Art, I my head agrees with what you're saying. However, my heart believes that someone will step up for us. Each week we've seen different guys shine.

With the guys we have out and Taylor inactive, the team

may circle the wagons and come out fighting.

Call me a homer, but I just have a gut feeling (hope it isn't gas)

that we'll be okay on Sunday.

After the last game and seeing how Taylor was used on occasion to go after the quaterback I was very excited to see how he would do going after Farve. I thought with Arrington sure to be back, and Taylor's progression to where he was being used in more ways than early in the season, I figured it would be great to watch Green Bay try to figure out who was coming after Farve on any given play. The possibiliteis for this defense at that time seemed endless. It seemed that Barrow would be back, though after not playing for so long I didnt expect him to be in for the majority of the snaps, we would at least get a taste of what this defense could look like with "nearly all" its parts intact.

Two weeks ago I was confident that the bye would provide Gibbs and the offense time to figure out how to get on track and at least start to show what I belive could be a very good offense given time. I'm still hopeful of that will happen, as of 09:07 10-29-04 it doesn't appear any little "tradgedies" have hit the offensive side of the ball.

Two weeks ago I was very optomistic, now I'm worried. OM, Art, I need a pep talk brothers if your listening.

Oh what a ride these two weeks have been.

Yes, it catches up to us this week. We will not be rated the #1 D in the league at any point again this year. Favre will see to that personally Sunday, and the resulting loss of confidence coupled with the onslaught of crippling injuries and a general lack of confidence in the offense will inevitably take its toll in the remaining games.

I'm putting every $$$ I have on Green Bay so at least I'll be able to break even from all the expense of going to this blowout.

We have a fairly easy schedule this year, so I don't expect the injuries to hurt us that much. Any more injuries and I would be worried, though.

Our overall defensive ability will be determined by the success of our offense. We really haven't had many changes to play from ahead and get agressive. It has to be demoralizing for a defense to watch the offense average 3 yards per pass attempt. That might be what gets us in the end.

P.S. It's Brunell's fault.

The strength of this defense is in the scheme rather than the players. That's why we haven't missed a beat yet despite all the injuries. Not that you can just plug in ANYONE, mind you, but a good athlete that knows and follows the scheme will be effective.

In the same respect, most of the failures seem to be due to the risks taken within this scheme.

I think they will still play well, though I suspect they will surrender more than 3 points to a hot Green Bay team. This is a winnable game if the offense shows the improvement we're all looking for. If not, no matter how well the D plays, we'll likely not keep up with the Packers.

This is the game where the offense will actually have to show up in order for us to play respectablely. The defense has kept us in games lately, but that was with more starters in and against inferior offenses (except maybe the Giants). Brunell play decently.... scary.

We have a very highly ranked defense, but we have NOT faced an offense like Green Bay's. This is why I was really hoping to get Arrington back. Favre, Green, Driver and Walker are TOP NOTCH.

Green Bay's defense is not that good, but we haven't been able to score many points on ANY defense this year.

Green Bay has ALL the good karma going into this game. They are fighting through tragedies while we're getting arrested at 4 a.m. for drinking and driving.

Hold me, Art. I don't have a good feeling about this one.

Brunell needs to silence his critics this week, or it is going to become a roar. I don't think he can do it, even though he says he is "healed" from his injuries.

We are facing a team with a great offense and a weak defense. If our offense does not get us over 20 points this week, we have no chance to win.

I think our one chance this week is to control the ball on the ground. Brunell doesn't have to be great but he does have to be good enough to hit some 6 yd passes consistently on 3rd and 5 to keep drives going. IF Portis can run and we can control the clock we've got a shot. But if it's 3 and out all day it could get real ugly.

As most of you know, I'm a tremendously strong proponent of scheme mattering even more than talent. But, at some point, talent matters to the extent that the more you put a guy on film who is not really a starting level guy, the better the chance is a team will identify a weakness it can expose.

To a great degree this happened to Dallas last year. The Cowboys came out and surprised teams with a HIGHLY aggressive scheme. Then, teams started figuring out weaknesses of an underwhelming talent base, forcing the Cowboys to ease off some. The deterioriation of that defense has continued from about the halfway point last year and through this year with little answer from the Cowboys as to how to stop the slide.

Now, Williams is a LOT smarter coaching the defense than Zimmer is. So, the possibility of being exposed may be delayed. But, the longer we go with guys who are not only true backups, but, largely, UNWANTED, DEEP depth chart backups, we're in trouble. We've survived this year as the No. 1 defense with overall talent deployed that is LESS than it was even last year.

That's a great tribute to Williams.

But, the talent that's left is just not the sort that can continue to thrive without someone figuring out something. Guys like Salave'a and Warner and Marshall and Clark and even Lott are guys who probably can't actually start for any defense, and these are FIVE guys we have who we've had to start at various times. Four of them may start this week alone.

It's HIGHLY worrisome.

Like many of you, I was feeling good about the bye. Getting Arrington and Daniels back. Noble another week better. Salave'a back for improved depth. Lott back for improved depth. Two weeks to plan. Better talent than when we went into the break coming out of the break.

Now, the cycle has turned the other way. We have less talent on the field for this game than we did for the last game. And the depth is increasingly shaky behind these players with Taylor inactive -- assuming that remains in place.

This is a hugely important game for THIS season's prospects. Maybe the Packers will see how limited we are and bench Favre and Green to heal them up :). More than ever, we need the offense to carry the day. The defense just has to make a couple of stops and plays early if the offense can get it going at all, and carry the day.

Now's when we need to see some cohesiveness showing on the other side of the ball as that side is largely in tact from a health standpoint. I can't say it's easy to feel good about this game. But, if our defense looks good despite everything, and we start to show something on offense, this is a team no one is going to want to play when we add Arrington and Taylor back :).

I hate to say this but....Yes it is going to catch up to us.

We have the #1 D, but we haven't played a real offensive team yet, this week is different. We are going against a team that can put up a lot of points and yards, and I'm afraid we're going to get hurt.

Have faith! Quit being concerned as the game will unfold the truths. (1) Taylor is an idiot who needs to be benched. He has let down the players, coaches, and mostly the fans. (2) LA will be back next week and Marshall has been adequate. (3) Brunell will either do it, or he won't. I believe if he plays like he has in the previous six games he will be benched next week. (4) We have the best coaches in the league and it will show soon.

I had the same thought too Art...I think it will catch up with the Skins.

I looked at the #2 ranking of the Green Bay offense and they way they have been lighting it up lately and who the Skins played. The Tampa Bay, Dallas, Chicago, and Baltimore offenses don't strike fear in anyone....that number #1 ranking of the D is inflated by playing against some inept offenses.

I think the Offense is going to have to play out of their mnds this week to win...regardless, I will be there screaming my head off as usual!!

Originally posted by ktball74

In my years watching Favre, he doesn't do well when blitzed. I have a feeling we are going to blitz him a lot! He loves to force throws, which could be good for our D and for turnovers.

That's kinda what I'm hoping for...Favre does have a tendency to force things sometimes. Sometimes it works for him when he wings it 50 yds across the field and scores a big TD...

...but sometimes it is 6 points going the other way. He has had some real stinker games...though they have been few and far between. I think he's due for one now :)

Originally posted by McMetal

I'm putting every $$$ I have on Green Bay so at least I'll be able to break even from all the expense of going to this blowout.

:doh:

How the hell are you gonna bet against your team? If I saw you in public, I'd spit at you as if you were a Dallas fan.

I just have an empty feeling about the game. I don't know maybe it has to with the fact that

1.Brunell is our QB

2.The Sean Taylor debacle

3.Arrington out

3.Barrow doubtful

4.A 41 yr old manning the RT position

5.Brunell is our QB

6.Bowen on IR

7.Jansen on IR

8.Our revolving door of TE's

9.Spurrier is our Head...oh wait a minute

10.Brunell is our QB

11.Brett effing Favre is in town.