Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com/GBN Draft report: 2005 1st round mock draft.....

hobbs

Gotta go with line play in this draft, lots of good d-lineman and if Dockery has a bad year. E. Brown would be awesome running the counter in this offense with how good he is at blocking in the open field. I would say at least hold off on mlb till 2006, then I trade the farm if necessary to move up for Ahmad Brooks. (Yes, I am a UVA homer) :D

Originally posted by johnyquest

Ton of D Line talent in the first round this year.. love it

Which is exactly why we waited to fix the D Line and took Sean Taylor.

Great move.

Last year there was no D Line.

Once again the BC dude is a ridiculous pass rusher, he's got a lot of talent, a lot!

And the DT from Wisconsin is the size of a bus

Originally posted by otdoggpound

DAVID POLLACK!!!!!

I hear that.

I used to hate the guy, but now I have come to like him a little, as much as it is possible to like a guy that goes to Georgia.

But he's really talented, and works hard and hustles. Gotta like him.

Originally posted by Skins26

Which is exactly why we waited to fix the D Line and took Sean Taylor.

Great move.

Last year there was no D Line.

Wilfork

Harris

Smith

Udeze

Tubbs

Babin

All in the first round. Yeah, no talent. :rolleyes:

Im not going to start this old debate but you look at where our weakness is now and what we should have taken and Sean Taylor’s name SHOULD NOT come up.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Wilfork

Harris

Smith

Udeze

Tubbs

Babin

Im not going to start this old debate but you look at where our weakness is now and what we should have taken and Sean Taylor’s name SHOULD NOT come up.

The first of those guys wasn't taken till 14, and the next wasn't till what, 19 or 20. In 2003 there was 8 taken in the first 15 picks, does that not speak to how weak that crop in 04 actually was.

Originally posted by pr11fan

The first of those guys wasn't taken till 14, and the next wasn't till what, 19 or 20. In 2003 there was 8 taken in the first 15 picks, does that not speak to how weak that crop in 04 actually was.

Or the more possible case is that teams had other needs than D line as well as there were “once in a lifetime” players such as KW2, Manning, Taylor, etc that GM/coaches went for the star over the needed player. In 2003 the only marquee name was Palmer.

Only time will tell.

Originally posted by pr11fan

Sorry, I'll have to disagree, even taking into acount the marqee players in this draft that were gone by the 7th pick, that leaves picks 8-13 that went with players other than d-lineman.

gotta go to a job interview, later

Again, comprehension is key. I also said that there is a good chance that D line was not on the 1st round need to draft list of many GM’s. Take Jax for example. As desperately as they needed a DE, the needed a WR worse so they took Williams instead of Smith or Udeze.

Good luck on your interview :cheers:

Originally posted by Oldskool

Wilfork

Harris

Smith

Udeze

Tubbs

Babin

Oh I see this is coming up again.

Sean Taylor was the right pick. End of story.

#1 against the run

We've been getting good pressure with our blitzing schemes

As I told you prior to the draft, DE isnt that big of a deal in this system because we are going to blitz to get pressure. Our defense is ranked what like 4th????

True it would be nice to get more pressure with our front 4, but its not hurting us too much with the way we're playing right now. As I said the scheme will solve the pressure on the QB. Which it is doing.

We had many weaknesses, D Line being the biggest but Safety was also on the list, and when a guy as good Taylor comes up and you can use that position you dont pass it up, which we didnt.

The D Line problem will be fixed next year. None of those guys taken last year would have helped this defense much.

Sean Taylor is going to be a superstar in this league. And it would be wrong to have passed him up for an average talent guy like Will Smith or something. Especially when DE is not as an important spot on our defense as the safety is.

I'll bet that Ron Warner is playing better than any of those 1st round DE's. What a pleasent surprise he has been. I've always thought that you dont need to go into the first round for D Line unless there is someone that really stands out like a Jevon Kearse or something.

I think you can find pretty good DE's and DT's out there. Ron Warner has done a hell of a job in there.

Originally posted by Skins26

Oh I see this is coming up again.

Sean Taylor was the right pick. End of story.

#1 against the run

what the hell does that have to do with a pass rushing DE?

We've been getting good pressure with our blitzing schemes

As I told you prior to the draft, DE isnt that big of a deal in this system because we are going to blitz to get pressure. Our defense is ranked what like 4th????

Hey look at the powerhouse teams we've played and lost to. Stats are deciving. With Arrington and Daniels out, we have an awful pass rush

True it would be nice to get more pressure with our front 4, but its not hurting us too much with the way we're playing right now. As I said the scheme will solve the pressure on the QB. Which it is doing.

We had many weaknesses, D Line being the biggest but Safety was also on the list, and when a guy as good Taylor comes up and you can use that position you dont pass it up, which we didnt.

The D Line problem will be fixed next year. None of those guys taken last year would have helped this defense much.

Sean Taylor is going to be a superstar in this league. And it would be wrong to have passed him up for an average talent guy like Will Smith or something. Especially when DE is not as an important spot on our defense as the safety is.

:rolleyes:

Look at Taylor's numbers so far and then look at Smith and Udeze's numbers.

Taylor has made ZERO impact this year. True he may be a superstar but by the time that happens Gibbs may be retired again.

Im not starting this debate again. Taylor is our pick, no matter how foolish it looks now without a healthy, true DE or a pass rush right now.

Enjoy Taylor. Lets see if another shiny trinket distracts us during next years draft while we forget what our #1 weakness is and what wins championships... D line.

Oldskool,

:laugh: Man, I am coming in late here but seriously get over the dline thing. I agree that defense wins championships and I see your point about drafting dline, but it doesn't hold any weight considering we are #1 against the run and #4 overall, do you see that?

I think you may get your wish soon though. Our current guys are more or less fixer uppers or replacements so to speak. We will look back on this season and graciously call these guys a "make shift" dline:laugh: but you have to be happy that we're doing so well all things considered....

Hey, BTW, here is a guy that is working slightly under the radar at least as far as draft gurus are concerned. I've been watching him for a few years and he has done noting but improve. He is a little small, but I am telling you this guy has Redskin written all over him.

I am too tired to look up which draft picks we have for next year, I would guess a 1st. 3rd and 5th :laugh: but this guy may be later round material, possibly 3rd, but wouldn't see him falling all the way to the 5th.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/football/bio.asp?PLAYER_ID=1285

If you watch college ball at all, make a point to check him out. You won't be disappointed.

:cheers:

*edit: Bro, you don't really consider Taylor just a distraction, do you? I think he will work out well for us. He may have not addressed an immediate need, but come on man, you can't deny that he has tremendous potential.

Originally posted by illone

Oldskool,

:laugh: Man, I am coming in late here but seriously get over the dline thing. I agree that defense wins championships and I see your point about drafting dline, but it doesn't hold any weight considering we are #1 against the run and #4 overall, do you see that?

I think you may get your wish soon though. Our current guys are more or less fixer uppers or replacements so to speak. We will look back on this season and graciously call these guys a "make shift" dline:laugh: but you have to be happy that we're doing so well all things considered....

Hey, BTW, here is a guy that is working slightly under the radar at least as far as draft gurus are concerned. I've been watching him for a few years and he has done noting but improve. He is a little small, but I am telling you this guy has Redskin written all over him.

I am too tired to look up which draft picks we have for next year, I would guess a 1st. 3rd and 5th :laugh: but this guy may be later round material, possibly 3rd, but wouldn't see him falling all the way to the 5th.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/football/bio.asp?PLAYER_ID=1285

If you watch college ball at all, make a point to check him out. You won't be disappointed.

:cheers:

*edit: Bro, you don't really consider Taylor just a distraction, do you? I think he will work out well for us. He may have not addressed an immediate need, but come on man, you can't deny that he has tremendous potential.

I know the status but no one outside of Indy, Philly, NE and a few other teams are playing even decent offense. None of the teams we have played are powerhouses so the stats are deceiving.

Taylors got huge potential but I dont think that he will realize it anytime soon :(

"1 Chicago - Mike Williams WR Southern California

2 San Francisco - *Matt Leinart QB Southern California

3 Miami - Braylon Edwards WR Michigan

4 Dallas (from Buffalo) - Antrel Rolle CB Miami

5 Cincinnati - *Rodrique Wright DT Texas

6 Arizona - Carnell Williams RB Auburn

7 Cleveland - Marlin Jackson CB Michigan

8 San Diego - Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

9 Tampa Bay - Ronnie Brown RB Auburn

10 Detroit - *Mathias Kiwanuka DE Boston College

11 Washington - Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin

12 Houston - Marcus Spears DT LSU

13 Oakland - Derrick Johnson LB Texas

14 Green Bay - David Pollack DE Georgia

15 New Orleans - *Thomas Davis FS Georgia

16 Tennessee - Charlie Frye QB Akron

17 Carolina - Donte Nicholson SS Oklahoma

18 Kansas City - Aaron Rodgers QB California

19 Pittsburgh - Alex Barron OT Florida State

20 Baltimore - Corey Webster CB LSU

21 St. Louis - *Justin Miller CB Clemson

22 Jacksonville - *Andrew Whitworth OT LSU

23 Dallas - Orrien Harris DT Miami

24 San Diego (from NY Giants) - Michael Boley LB Southern Mississppi

25 Minnesota - Shaun Cody DT Southern California

26 Atlanta - Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma

27 Denver - *Heath Miller TE Virginia

28 New York Jets - Craphonso Thorpe WR Florida State

29 Seattle - *Odell Thurman LB Georgia

30 Indianapolis - Cedric Benson RB Texas

31 New England - Elton Brown OG Virginia

32 Philadelphia - Kevin Burnett LB Tennessee"

These guys are on crack!

Jets picking 28th?

Atlanta 26th?

Giants 24th?

Good comedy though.

:rolleyes:

Spears will not go rd 1 you heard it here 1st he is overrated and very inconsistent from week 2 week.

I know we don't really need it but Heath Miller would look great at Te with Cooley at H-Back. We'd have 2 young studs to work the middle for the next 10 years and would open this offense up bigtime.

We could let Gardner go in FA and spend the money ON A D-LINEMAN AND TO RESIGN sMOOT. I know we'll sign atleast 1 good Fa next offseason and thier are some good 1's available Hovan and Abraham,Ellis etc.

Honestly the only can't miss d-lineman in my opionion is Hawthorne and he'll go top 10. If we go d-lineman I'd take Pollack who will be a Grant Wistrom type of 6-8 sack hustle guy who should fit great with our coaching staff.

Archived