Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com/GBN Draft report: 2005 1st round mock draft.....

hobbs

Originally posted by Oldskool

what the hell does that have to do with a pass rushing DE?

:rolleyes:

Look at Taylor's numbers so far and then look at Smith and Udeze's numbers.

Taylor has made ZERO impact this year. True he may be a superstar but by the time that happens Gibbs may be retired again.

Im not starting this debate again. Taylor is our pick, no matter how foolish it looks now without a healthy, true DE or a pass rush right now.

Enjoy Taylor. Lets see if another shiny trinket distracts us during next years draft while we forget what our #1 weakness is and what wins championships... D line. [/b]

I was just pointing out that our D Line has been solid against the run and we dont really count on our DE's for too much of a pass rush with our blitzing style. Now true later in the year we're going to start getting burned on these blitzes and its going to be nice if we had a good rush with our front 4, but you cant fix every hole in one year.

What are Smith and Udeze's #'s. I have not seen them, I saw Udeze get a sack against the Eagles but other than that I have heard nothing.

How can you compare #'s between a safety and a DE anyways??

How bout you compare Smith and Udeze to Wynn and Warner??

I dont think you can say that Taylor has made zero impact this year, just because the stats dont show it doesnt mean its not there.

The pick wasnt foolish, i'm sorry you still feel that way because of your love for Udeze.

We still need D Line but we will get that this coming year, you cant fix everything at once.

Originally posted by Samuels

Spears will not go rd 1 you heard it here 1st he is overrated and very inconsistent from week 2 week.

I know we don't really need it but Heath Miller would look great at Te with Cooley at H-Back. We'd have 2 young studs to work the middle for the next 10 years and would open this offense up bigtime.

We could let Gardner go in FA and spend the money ON A D-LINEMAN AND TO RESIGN sMOOT. I know we'll sign atleast 1 good Fa next offseason and thier are some good 1's available Hovan and Abraham,Ellis etc.

Honestly the only can't miss d-lineman in my opionion is Hawthorne and he'll go top 10. If we go d-lineman I'd take Pollack who will be a Grant Wistrom type of 6-8 sack hustle guy who should fit great with our coaching staff.

I agree, Spears looks somewhat slow to me.

Your one of the guys who likes the draft a lot too right? I hope people dont think by talking about this we are giving up on the season, that is not the case, I just love the draft and love talking about it.

Anyways I agree with your opinion on Spears and Pollack, Pollack shouldnt go before 15, but would be a great fit here with his attitude. I think Gardner is as good as gone, and Smoot should be resigned. If not we'll have some major problems.

ABRAHAM :notworthy that would be great

I also think that Corey Webster is overrated. He hasnt looked too good against Auburn and Georgia.

It would be really nice to have two good guys playing the middle for the next ten years, but I thought Miller looked a little slow last night, it may just be deception but it just appeared to me that he was slow, like slower than normal TE's.

what the hell does that have to do with a pass rushing DE?

:rolleyes:

Look at Taylor's numbers so far and then look at Smith and Udeze's numbers.

Taylor has made ZERO impact this year. True he may be a superstar but by the time that happens Gibbs may be retired again.

Im not starting this debate again. Taylor is our pick, no matter how foolish it looks now without a healthy, true DE or a pass rush right now.

Enjoy Taylor. Lets see if another shiny trinket distracts us during next years draft while we forget what our #1 weakness is and what wins championships... D line. [/b]

Udeze- 1 sack 1 TFL (5 tackles < Taylor's 14)

Smith- 1 sack 1.5 TFL (8 tackles < Taylor's 14)

Renaldo Wynn- 2 sacks 1 TFL

Ron Warner- 1.5 sacks 2 TFL

Joe Salave'a- 1 sack 1.5 TFL

Cornelius Griffin- 0 sacks 4.5 TFL

Yea, Udeze and Smith have just been world beaters compared to Taylor:doh:

I think the skins go BPA. They could just as easlity OL as they could DL. A young stud reciever would also make sense, but the WR crop seems to be slim pickings.

Personally I think Hawthorne will be a stud, other guys to watch who are currently under the radar, Cal DT Lorenzo Alexander & Georgia Tech DE Eric Henderson.

Originally posted by mookie0720

Don't even bother man...

I'm with you though.

I have'nt given up on the season but love talking draft I've even thought of opening my own draftsite. I watch tons of recorded games over and over my family thinks I'm crazy..

Miller is'nt a burner they said last night he ran a 4.65 but he is faster the Cooley. The thing about Miller is he is 6-5 260lbs and has huge soft mits and runs great routes. The kid can really find the soft spots especially againest zone. The kid is also a hellva inline blocker who does a great job of sealing off giving his back the edge. He would just fit in here so well with coach Gibbs and compliment Cooley perfectly at h-BACK.

Mathias Kawanuka is a freak athlete to watch we should consider has well he just needs to get stronger. The kid is 6-8 255lbs but has freaky athletism at De.

If we have a bad season and pick top 15 i'd probably trade down into the 20's hoping to pick back up a 2nd.

Chris Canty is a must draft for us big lanky, physical, athletic stud at 6-7 295lbs. The problem is he tore his knee up ACL and is out for the year. He should still be available around rd 4-5 and would be a steal like Ogunleye was. He could be the best Pro De in this draft.

Lets turn this towards Taylor now. 2 passes defended, 0 INT, 0 FF, 0 sacks. Yeah he’s sure helped our pass rush hasn’t he? Hell Ohalete’s numbers are comparable and he plays for one of the worst teams in the NFL :rolleyes:

Smith and Udeze’s numbers are pretty good for rookies who don’t play on an attacking defense. If Wynn and Warner can get those numbers, imagine what players with greater talent and ability can do.

Again im not trying to take you off of Taylor’s jock by saying he’s bad or will be horrible. He’s just been invisible so far and hasn’t helped at all with our main concern last year and this year on defense; pass rush.

Lets turn this towards Taylor now. 2 passes defended, 0 INT, 0 FF, 0 sacks. Yeah he’s sure helped our pass rush hasn’t he? Hell Ohalete’s numbers are comparable and he plays for one of the worst teams in the NFL :rolleyes:

Smith and Udeze’s numbers are pretty good for rookies who don’t play on an attacking defense. If Wynn and Warner can get those numbers, imagine what players with greater talent and ability can do.

Again im not trying to take you off of Taylor’s jock by saying he’s bad or will be horrible. He’s just been invisible so far and hasn’t helped at all with our main concern last year and this year on defense; pass rush.

Actually though you can say Taylor has helped with the pass rush. The range he has back there has allowed us to blitz more often, creating more pressure.

Taylor hasnt gotten the opportunity to make any huge plays yet. He got a QB pressure against the Giants, and another against the Bucs, but those are the only times he has blitzed, however when he has he's gotten there and forced a bad throw.

Against Dallas those 2 passes defended were when he was in 1 on 1 coverage against WR's. If you have a safety that can matchup like that it allows you to blitz more.

Your missing the point, we dont need players of Smith's or Udeze's talent level because we can get the job done with the guys we have. What we needed was a safety that can cover so well that it allows us to blitz more. Why waste a top 5 pick when we can get the job done with the guys we have??

Though i'm sure we will improve next offseason it would have been stupid to trade out of the 5 spot and pass up playmakers like Taylor to get some guy that is pretty good at a position that isnt a focal point of our defense.

We still need defensive linemen, but last year just wasnt the year. Not with Taylor and Winslow in there. You cant trade out of that spot.

Esecially when you look at the guys available on the D Line coming out this year and the guys that are going to be FA's. Perfect year for D Line fixing. However if the defense remains in the top 5 or so (which i doubt they will) the whole year then there is no need to add to the defense, especially if the offense remains at the terrible state it is in. Then we may have to find something to do to fix that.

We have to resign Smoot. Whether that means allowing Gardner to go, or whatever we have to do, Smoot and Samuels need to be resigned.

1. Smoot

2. Samuels

3. Gardner.

I'd let the bottom 2 go before I let Smoot get anywhere. But Smoot's not valuable enought to franchise..is he?

Archived