Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor getting better or worse?

SkinsNumberOne

Hey, I'm reading a lot of posts about Taylor getting better. Is there evidence of this, or are these the same people who were always on the Taylor bandwagon anyway? I mean, I personally haven't really seen a lot of evidence that he's getting better; instead, I thought I had seen evidence of him doing some of the stuff that were listed as concerns... trusting in his talent to make up distances that are too great, etc...

I don't know though, it's definitely possible I missed some key plays or attributed some to someone else inappropriately. If someone would point out how he's improved that would be cool.

I thought he had a terrible game yesterday. He gave up some important plays, IMO.

edit: Do you guys remember at the end of the game, when Garcia was downing the ball, and he was knocked down by his own lineman? That was Taylor...on the very next kneel, he hit the lineman as hard as he could, then got directly in his face afterward. That seemed a little poor-sportsman-like, IMO. Though I have to admit, I got some enjoyment out of it.

My opinion of Taylor has not changed. Taylor needs to:

1. Get used to the new coaching staff and the NFL

2. Learn a new defense

3. Learn how to read NFL offenses.

Taylor has the physical gifts to make in the NFL. Give him a chance. He needs game experience and practice time.

I think he's getting better, very subtly. He's learning his position in the NFL very well and is even beginning to pick up slack.

I remember one play yesterday where Walt Harris stopped on a receiver's route, picked him up again too late and Taylor was the only player who could get there in-time to stop the touchdown. Little things like that. He was also a half-second short of breaking up the second Dallas TD last week, the one Ryan Clark blew the coverage on.

Let him walk, first, then we'll see him run.

Nick

Originally posted by skins4eva

You're right, I would have much preferred that he miss those tackles so cleveland could have won by three scores instead of one.

So what, now doing what average NFL safeties do constitues awsome?

He hasn't even been the best rookie safety so far this year.

He has light years to go before he becomes half of what we all envisioned when we made the picks.

Optomism is great, but realism is better.

Thanks for the philosophical advice Rock. I'm trying to point out some positive things. He is young, and was one of the few people on the field yesterday he i thought played with real fire. He loves to hit people, and i love to watch players who love to hit. If you think he sucks, you entitled to that opinion. But, imo, he played a great game for a young guy.

Thanks for the philosophical advice Rock. I'm trying to point out some positive things. He is young, and was one of the few people on the field yesterday he i thought played with real fire. He loves to hit people, and i love to watch players who love to hit. If you think he sucks, you entitled to that opinion. But, imo, he played a great game for a young guy.

I wouldn't say sucks, but I would say average. Servicable if you will.

Right now, he just isn't an impact player in any capacity.

Hopefully he comes around, but to say his performance so far has been awsome, or impressive, just isn't true.

Originally posted by redskinsrock5

Right now, he just isn't an impact player in any capacity.

I agree with that. His physical skills are very impressive. He reminds me of Lavar during his rookie season. Make 1 or 2 physical impressive plays to make up for him not reading something correctly.

Tremendous up side but hasn't shown much yet. Glad we took Taylor not Winslow though. Cooley will fill the gap that Winslow would have filled well enough.

I did notice on Suggs first carry... the 25 yarder... that if Sean Taylor doesn't stop him he scores. Not only did Taylor stop him... but also punched at the ball that could have caused a turnover. That's his game.... and once he hits a rhythm and gets comfortable in the defense we're going to see that kind of play.

On the downside... he appears to play "high" and seems to get caught out of position and wind up trailing plays. One of Suggs runs he and Marshall got faked out of their shoes. Marshall should have stepped into the hole.... and Taylor should have been back a bit to protect against the whiff by Marshall. As it stood... both were juked and Bowens made the save.

The announcers noted once or twice during the game that Taylor wasn't doing very well "in space." He kept "biting" on fakes from WRs and RBs. There were also at least two times where he missed easy tackles when he lowered his head and went in for hard tackle -- but wiffed. From what I can tell, it didn't cost us anything because another defensive back or LB was close to make the tackle.

I thought he played pretty well. The only play he gave up was that lob over his head which appeared that it was his fault but it was someone else's fault as well b/c there were like 3 WR's over there and only him to cover all 3, he had a few TD saving tackles on Suggs which he caught him from behind.

He laid a hell of a hit on their TE near the sidelines. I cant believe that was him banging the center into the QB at the end, thats amazing that he has that kind of power, I dont think its unsportsmanlike I think he just refused to lose and was trying to force a fumble.

He played awesome yesterday: 7 tackles, 6 solo, the blown coverage was Marcus Washington's responsibility, not taylor's

I would say at least 4 of those tackles were 10+ yards down the field.

Giving up a 30 yard pass and making the tackle is not a positive play.

Archived