Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marcus Washington at DE?

yankstrat

As we look ahead to the return of Mike Barrow and the need to find playing time for the ever improving Antonio Pierce, could there be packages in place that would allow Marcus Washington to see some time at DE? I like Lavar playing in open space so I prefer keeping him where he is. I seem to recall Marcus playing some DE at Auburn. Also, his size, while not prototypical for a DE , is still an imposing 6"3 250

Any thoughts?

Anything we can do to get Antonio Peirce more playing time is a definite positive for our defense. He is young and smart and with him in our defense along with obvious studs LaVar and Marcus, along with a seasoned/savy vet Barrow, we cant help but excel in every defensive aspect.

Originally posted by TLusby

I would see us going to a possible 3-4 instead of lining one of the best NFC OLB at DE. You should build a system around talent and we have plenty at LB. The problem would be our Nose Tackle/Guard. All in all I just do not see it.

The problem with that is you can't just line them up in a 3-4 and expect everything to work well. It's a lot of work for everyone to make that transition. I think I read that they've worked on it some so it could still be a viable option, just depends if they have or not.

Having one of the LB's at DE shouldn't be a problem. Just think of it as bringing in a 3rd down speed rusher. If they do it they won't be sacrificing a LB position because they'll plug in a talented backup or, more likely, bring in another DB. I think I remember seeing Arrington at DE a little the other day but I'd have to go back and double check. They WILL be doing it this year whether we like it or not! :) :)

look, we dont use a standard defense as it is, look at how Williams mixed it up last week. I think we will see a lot of different things happen, Barrow is a great player as well, hence why we signed him. Pierce has been awesome, but think of the combinations we can do. Just Imagine a full 7 rush, with all 4 of our big LB's going in.

I just heard Coach Gibbs say on audio from redskins.com that Antonio Pierce has to be on the field all the time. He really likes that guy, and said that even when Barrow comes back Pierce needs to play. I don't know what that means and I don't want to read more into it than I should, but methinks that if Pierce continues to impress and Barrow continues to ache, that Barrow might be an expensive backup LB.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

the 3-4 could work with Griffin at NT. But far more likely is putting Lavar more and more at DE. and playing Pierce at his position.

I would much rather see them line up in a 4-4, the additional linebacker could either cover them middle or blitz.

This presupposes that S Taylor really steps at FS

Originally posted by TLusby

I would see us going to a possible 3-4 instead of lining one of the best NFC OLB at DE. You should build a system around talent and we have plenty at LB. The problem would be our Nose Tackle/Guard. All in all I just do not see it.

We play 3-4

We play 4-4

We play 5-2

We play 5-3

We probably even have 6 and 7 man fronts.

Archived