Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget Portis' big run at the beginning ...

Henry

Check out his work at the end :D

1-10-WAS 33 (5:03) 26-C.Portis right end to WAS 38 for 5 yards

2-5-WAS 38 (4:16) 26-C.Portis right guard to WAS 39 for 1 yard

3-4-WAS 39 (3:37) 8-M.Brunell pass to 80-L.Coles to WAS 48 for 9 yards

PENALTY on TB-55-D.Brooks, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at WAS 48.

1-10-TB 37 (3:29) 26-C.Portis right tackle to TB 30 for 7 yards

2-3-TB 30 (2:45) 26-C.Portis left tackle to TB 28 for 2 yards

Timeout #2 by TB at 02:30.

3-1-TB 28 (2:30) 26-C.Portis right end to TB 22 for 6 yards

Two-Minute Warning

1-10-TB 22 (2:00) 26-C.Portis left tackle to TB 21 for 1 yard

Timeout #3 by TB at 01:55.

2-9-TB 21 (1:55) 26-C.Portis right tackle to TB 21 for no gain

3-9-TB 21 (1:11) 26-C.Portis up the middle to TB 21 for no gain

PENALTY on TB-96-E.Wyms, Defensive Offside, 4 yards, enforced at TB 21 - No Play.

3-5-TB 17 (1:06) 46-L.Betts up the middle to TB 16 for 1 yard

Timeout #1 by WAS at 00:21.

But there were several times where Portis was literally inches away from breaking another big gain. Twice Tamp players stopped him when Clinton would have gone for long TD runs. And don't forget TB still has one of the very best defenses in the league. Not a bad day for playing against a great D.

Originally posted by LaVarPA

But there were several times where Portis was literally inches away from breaking another big gain. Twice Tamp players stopped him when Clinton would have gone for long TD runs. And don't forget TB still has one of the very best defenses in the league. Not a bad day for playing against a great D.

I agree, there were several other runs where I thought he was gone for a long TD.

So close.

Originally posted by riggins44

It's easy to say we sputtered, but give Tampa credit, they have

a good defense. Even without Sapp and Lynch, they are a fast and well coached D.

The runs at the end were to kill the clock and set up a FG.

Totally agree. I give TB credit rather than saying we struggled.

he's definitely gonna turn into the workhorse Gibbs wanted in a back, i mean 29 carries??? That would never have happened under Steve Superior. Plus, he fought for yards the way Dung woulda gotten injured on or fumbled if he had tried.

edit: I think they shoulda used Betts more, I dont think Betts had a bad day at all, he seems like hes more the type to eat up time.

Originally posted by afparent

And you have to give him props for his toughness during the last two drives. He helped run out the clock by staying inbounds....very smart

I think that one of the main things I really like about Portis is his toughness, he not only didn't run out of bounds at the end of the game, but I didn't really see a run to the outside that he voluntarily went out of bounds.....6'0"/205 lbs., runs with the authority of a guy that's 6'2"/230 lbs. I love that.

:helmet:

I hate the title of this thread. I will NOT forgot Portis' first big run. That run separates him from most backs in the league.

He went blew through the line. The Dirtbags were raising their fists after he ran 30 yards knowing noone was going to catch him.

He is better than I thought he was. Great balance and yes inches away from breaking a couple more big runs. Very smart and excellent vision.

Did you notice how once he got the first down on that last drive he stayed in bounds and just went down. No need to get more yards or risk a fumble, just stay in bounds and take a knee.

He'll be better conditioned by the Dallas Game.

Anyone notice (2nd quarter or late 1st qtr.) when Portis caught a pass in the right flat and ran head-first right into LB Ian Gold, it was funny, I think it surprised Gold, and Portis may have gone right through him if Gold didn't have help coming to finish off the tackle, he's certainly not your normal 200 pound halfback! Imagine running some screens with Portis and our lineman clearing the way! I expect one or two screens to go for incredible touchdown scampers from Portis this year.

Gibbs gished over him on his 6 oclock wtem radio show. And he never mentioned the big run when he was doing his gushing.

He said he kept looking down the bench in the 4th quarter to see if he could see any quit in his guys, and said he didn't see ANY,, he saw guys chomping at the bit to FINISH the job.

Boy that's refreshing.

He specifically said that Some of Portis' best runs of the day were in the fourth quarter, and were only for 3 yards. Called him tough, said that the difference with a guy llike him is you want to keep him fresh, spell him a bit during the game.

True to form. He always spells his backs to keep them ready for the final quarter.

I was pleased with the entire running game, Portis, Betts, both played well.

~Bang

joeymag , you really missed the point on that one I think. Om said it best in his recent column. And this thread addresses that dead on. :)

Second time I've done this. :)

"Come Sunday, we’ll get to watch our fellow fans, those who didn’t have the opportunity to see Gibbs I, grumble at some point during the first half when Gibbs, this “great offensive genius,” seemingly sticks with the run too long, gaining little or no yardage in situations where the fans really, really want to see Brunell going downfield to Coles. And then, when the game is close in the second half, maybe we’ll also get to see a little gleam appear in their eyes, and a little smile spread across their lips, as the offensive line continues to pound away, and gradually, inexorably, the holes that weren’t quite there early start to appear in crunch time. And perhaps we’ll all savor together our first taste of NFC East Redskins Football, Old School Style, in a long, long time ... as the Redskins embark on a couple of methodical, brutal, soul-killing drives that not only net points, but keep an aggressive defense rested on the bench, chomping at the bit to pounce and close the deal."

yea i saw several times where he was one or two steps from breaking another big run ...i predict a big day from him this week at the giants ... hopefully a 200 yarder he pulls sometimes~ i would also like too see some passing yards too and our 'D' to stay at number 1 ~

Archived