Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(merged x4) Michael Fabiano picks the Redskins to win the SB

SmootDawg21

Article taken from sportsline.com (skip to the last 3 paragraphs).

In the Trenches: Edge of stardom

Aug. 31, 2004

Michael Fabiano

Senior Fantasy Writer

When the Indianapolis Colts battle the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Sept. 9, over 15 million Fantasy Football owners will kick off a new NFL season. With the first regular-season snap so close at hand, there's no better time then to look into the CBS SportsLine.com crystal ball and predict which players will earn some of the league's top awards.

Most Valuable Player: Daunte Culpepper, QB, Minnesota -- Culpepper has been so impressive this preseason that the team might replace his No. 11 with a Superman symbol. He has compiled 448 passing yards and four touchdowns through three games, and looks to be in midseason form.

With a lethal weapon like wide receiver Randy Moss, a solid offensive line and the support of coach Mike Tice, Culpepper will have a monstrous season and confirm his status as the No. 1 quarterback in Fantasy Football. Runner-up: Brett Favre, QB, Green Bay

Offensive Player of the Year: LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego -- Despite being on a team that has no chance at a .500 record, Tomlinson will get the recognition he deserves. The Chargers did little to improve their offense, so L.T. will again have to shoulder the brunt of the load.

The Texas Christian product should compile close to 80 receptions, 2,500 all-purpose yards and 20 touchdowns, and is the one running back outside of Priest Holmes who warrants the No. 1 overall selection. Runner-up: Holmes

Daunte Culpepper could be on the verge of a huge season.(Getty Images)

Defensive Player of the Year: Ray Lewis, LB, Baltimore -- Lewis is the most feared defender in the league and will be the centerpiece of what should be a dominant Ravens defense. He is a valuable option in leagues that utilize individual defenders, and his presence in the middle of the field also gives the overall unit immense appeal.

With Terrell Suggs, Chris McAlister, Ed Reed and now Deion Sanders at his side, Lewis is bound to have another stellar campaign. Runner-up: Jason Taylor, DL, Miami

Comeback Player of the Year: Rich Gannon, QB, Oakland -- Gannon's stock has fallen in drafts, but this 38-year-old still has some tricks up his sleeve. He has performed well in three exhibition starts, showing no ill effects from the injured shoulder that limited him last season.

The veteran has an array of weapons on offense, an up-and-coming wide receiver in Jerry Porter, and a coach in Norv Turner who will manage the offense to his strengths. Gannon might not throw for 4,000 yards and 25 touchdowns, but he'll be darn close. Runner-up: Michael Vick, QB, Atlanta

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Kevin Jones, RB, Detroit -- Jones is expected to become the Lions No. 1 running back as a rookie, and will be a productive option in the middle rounds in leagues with 12-plus teams. A versatile back with immense upside, the former Virginia Tech Hokie should surpass the 1,000-yard mark and find the end zone six to eight times. Runner-up: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Sean Taylor, DB, Washington --Taylor has been so good this preseason that the team released incumbent Ifeanyi Ohalete. He has shown flashes of brilliance on the field, and is poised to overtake Andre Lott atop the depth chart.

Taylor has increased value in individual defender leagues, and makes the Redskins defense more attractive in leagues with 12-plus teams. Runner-up: Kenechi Udeze, DL, Minnesota

Coach of the Year: Joe Gibbs, Washington -- How can you go wrong with a coach who has already been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame? The 'Skins turned back the clock to hire its most successful coach, and added integral components that should turn a mediocre team into a postseason contender. Runner-up: Mike Holmgren, Seattle

AFC postseason teams: Baltimore, Indianapolis, Kansas City, New England, New York Jets, Tennessee.

NFC postseason teams: Carolina, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Seattle, Washington.

Super Bowl XXXIX: Washington over Indianapolis The Denver Broncos are the one franchise to repeat in the past decade, and three of the past four Super Bowl champions didn't make the postseason the previous season.

For those reasons, as well as the addition of Mark Brunell, Clinton Portis, Shawn Springs and Micheal Barrow, I'll go out on a limb and predict that the 'Skins will take home their fourth title.

Originally posted by Saqs

I wish. Aint happenin tho.

Why do I keep hearin so many FN Skins fans being so negative and settling for mediocrity!!!:mad:

In todays NFL I wouldnt be suprised one bit if we went to the Super Bowl and won the whole damn thing!!!!:helmet: :helmet:

Its the pre-season stop assuming already that we cant do it!!!!

Expect only the best!!!

And put your trust in Gibbs!!!!:helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

He has lead us to three and he can certainly do it again.

and by the way..................:wewantd:

Hail to the Redskins!!!!!!!!!!!

as we all know the way the league has been going these past few years , that would be the sweetess thing that could happen this yr. god knows i've been praying for it since JG was hire again to turn this team around . a 10- 6 season and at least a playoff berth would be great . i know alot of FREAKIN people i would love to be able to shove that up ther @$$ !!!

:D :point2sky :logo: :2cents:

:ravensuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Why do I keep hearin so many FN Skins fans being so negative and settling for mediocrity!!!

In todays NFL I wouldnt be suprised one bit if we went to the Super Bowl and won the whole damn thing!!!!

Who's "settling for medicority"? It's called having an opinion....

Well when you say things like..................Id settle for respectibility and a winning record or its not going to happen!!

Who says its not goin to happen???

Who says we cant win the super bowl??

Just like afparent said if all those teams can do it why cant we???

We have settled for soooo long through the Norv,Marty,Terry, and Ole Ball coach eras, we cant do it anymore,

We got Gibbs back and he knows how to win:notworthy

We have to expect the best!!!:helmet: :helmet:

Originally posted by jbooma

Lets be realistic here, this is a fantasy writer, if this was PFW all of you would forget how much you hate them :laugh:

JB,

Once again, your own confusion on something causes you to chide others when the real problem is you. Pro Football Weekly is generally a fairly respected publication we all read. Pro Football TALK is the nonsense run by an accountant that we giggle at.

Originally posted by Art

JB,

Once again, your own confusion on something causes you to chide others when the real problem is you. Pro Football Weekly is generally a fairly respected publication we all read. Pro Football TALK is the nonsense run by an accountant that we giggle at.

I knew it was one of them :)

However if that accountant said we were going to the superbowl everyone would be going crazy here, remember the source that is all I ask :)

I have a problem believing this prediction although I do like to dream. The one thing I will say, however, is that if the Skins can pull it all together by mid season and make the playoffs, it might be possible. Once in the post-season, anything can happen. I just think we are in for a slow start that might be too much to overcome to be playing in January.

From www.sportsline.com

In the Trenches: Edge of stardom

Aug. 31, 2004

Michael Fabiano

Senior Fantasy Writer

When the Indianapolis Colts battle the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Sept. 9, over 15 million Fantasy Football owners will kick off a new NFL season. With the first regular-season snap so close at hand, there's no better time then to look into the CBS SportsLine.com crystal ball and predict which players will earn some of the league's top awards.

Most Valuable Player: Daunte Culpepper, QB, Minnesota -- Culpepper has been so impressive this preseason that the team might replace his No. 11 with a Superman symbol. He has compiled 448 passing yards and four touchdowns through three games, and looks to be in midseason form.

With a lethal weapon like wide receiver Randy Moss, a solid offensive line and the support of coach Mike Tice, Culpepper will have a monstrous season and confirm his status as the No. 1 quarterback in Fantasy Football. Runner-up: Brett Favre, QB, Green Bay

Offensive Player of the Year: LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego -- Despite being on a team that has no chance at a .500 record, Tomlinson will get the recognition he deserves. The Chargers did little to improve their offense, so L.T. will again have to shoulder the brunt of the load.

The Texas Christian product should compile close to 80 receptions, 2,500 all-purpose yards and 20 touchdowns, and is the one running back outside of Priest Holmes who warrants the No. 1 overall selection. Runner-up: Holmes

Daunte Culpepper could be on the verge of a huge season.(Getty Images)

Defensive Player of the Year: Ray Lewis, LB, Baltimore -- Lewis is the most feared defender in the league and will be the centerpiece of what should be a dominant Ravens defense. He is a valuable option in leagues that utilize individual defenders, and his presence in the middle of the field also gives the overall unit immense appeal.

With Terrell Suggs, Chris McAlister, Ed Reed and now Deion Sanders at his side, Lewis is bound to have another stellar campaign. Runner-up: Jason Taylor, DL, Miami

Comeback Player of the Year: Rich Gannon, QB, Oakland -- Gannon's stock has fallen in drafts, but this 38-year-old still has some tricks up his sleeve. He has performed well in three exhibition starts, showing no ill effects from the injured shoulder that limited him last season.

The veteran has an array of weapons on offense, an up-and-coming wide receiver in Jerry Porter, and a coach in Norv Turner who will manage the offense to his strengths. Gannon might not throw for 4,000 yards and 25 touchdowns, but he'll be darn close. Runner-up: Michael Vick, QB, Atlanta

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Kevin Jones, RB, Detroit -- Jones is expected to become the Lions No. 1 running back as a rookie, and will be a productive option in the middle rounds in leagues with 12-plus teams. A versatile back with immense upside, the former Virginia Tech Hokie should surpass the 1,000-yard mark and find the end zone six to eight times. Runner-up: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Sean Taylor, DB, Washington --Taylor has been so good this preseason that the team released incumbent Ifeanyi Ohalete. He has shown flashes of brilliance on the field, and is poised to overtake Andre Lott atop the depth chart.

Taylor has increased value in individual defender leagues, and makes the Redskins defense more attractive in leagues with 12-plus teams. Runner-up: Kenechi Udeze, DL, Minnesota

Coach of the Year: Joe Gibbs, Washington -- How can you go wrong with a coach who has already been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame? The 'Skins turned back the clock to hire its most successful coach, and added integral components that should turn a mediocre team into a postseason contender. Runner-up: Mike Holmgren, Seattle

AFC postseason teams: Baltimore, Indianapolis, Kansas City, New England, New York Jets, Tennessee.

NFC postseason teams: Carolina, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Seattle, Washington.

Super Bowl XXXIX: Washington over Indianapolis The Denver Broncos are the one franchise to repeat in the past decade, and three of the past four Super Bowl champions didn't make the postseason the previous season.

For those reasons, as well as the addition of Mark Brunell, Clinton Portis, Shawn Springs and Micheal Barrow, I'll go out on a limb and predict that the 'Skins will take home their fourth title.

Archived