Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Winslow Bonus Smaller Than Taylor's

SKINtil8tin

Not sure if this was posted yet but found it very interesting.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

WINSLOW BONUS SMALLER THAN NO. 5, NO. 8

Although it remains possible that the triggers for the incentives and escalators in tight end Kellen Winslow's contract makes it more likely than not that he'll receive the full $40 million value of his six-year contract with the Browns, we've confirmed that Winslow's signing bonus and first year salary will actually be less than the money paid in year one to Redskins safety Sean Taylor, who was drafted one spot in front of Winslow.

It widely has been reported that Winslow received a signing bonus in the amount of $16.5 million. As we reported on Friday, however, Winslow's bonus is only $11.132 million.

Coupled with a base salary of $230,000, Winslow will get $11.362 million in year one. Conversely, Taylor will earn $13.275 million over the next 12 months -- more than $2 million more than Winslow.

Even DeAngelo Hall -- taken two spots after Winslow -- will earn more in bonus money. Hall gets $11.8 million; more than $600,000 greater than Winslow's haul.

These discrepancies confirm the ability of some agents to manipulate the media by feeding phony information. In the end, everyone wins -- the agents puff up the value of the contracts and the journalists get their scoop. And the teams are typically reluctant to correct the bad numbers, since doing so could set a bad tone for their relationship with the player.

I don't think that's correct. Wasn't it reported that Taylor's 13M of bonus money was split over the first 3 years at something like 7M/5.4M/600K. As to who got the better deal we'd have to know if that 11M is all Winslow will receive or if he too has bonus money later.

Fellow skins fans, I saw the interview with Taylor and I watched his uneasiness with the media. He appears to be the Barry Sanders/ Ricky Williams type of player as it relates to the media. God I hope he doesn't smoke weed like Rick or leave the game in his prime like Barry........lol

Archived