Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Sellers?

Does anyone know the official roster position of this guy?

Is he a TE or a FB?

Should we use him as a HB for his blocking skills? Is he versatile? I mean like - good blocker, pass receiver, and runner?

Also, when finalizing the 53 man roster - does the league have rules on the limit to the # of players that can be assigned to each position?

I have been a REDSKINS fan for around 30 years and consider myself somewhat cognitive of what is going on in football (I never played in school - I wrestled) but I know how knowledgeable you extremeskins fans are - and I have only been a member for a few days now. I am learning alot. So, what is the deal with Sellers? I read it posted that he was a good blocker. Is he a keeper?

Originally posted by Chachie

So wait... I have been too embarrassed to ask this question until now, but this seems like a justifiable opportunity.

If "HB" refers to HALF-BACK, what is an "H-Back?" Neither Cooley or Sellers are half-backs, so what's the deal?

H-back is not a halfback. It is a hybrid position:

Gibbs uses the tight end almost exclusively as an extra blocker on the offensive line, a role that seems to fit both Rasby and Royal.

The H-back, meanwhile, is asked to do any number of things from any number of locations on the field.

He's got to be a blocker, he's got to be a pass protector and he's got to be able to run routes. It's a unique position.

The H-back can line up in the backfield, on the line or -- as is often the case -- is put into motion. On one play, he may be asked to serve as lead blocker for tailback Clinton Portis. The next, he may be sprinting 15 yards downfield to catch a pass.

Assistant head coach for offense Joe Bugel said, "It's a tough position to play, you have to be super, super smart, and you have to have some athletic ability."

The Redskins believe they have several players who fit that mold and they likely would use Winslow Jr. there if they select him in the draft.

It's totally different from any other position because they have to know pretty much every other position on the field.

They can line up at any position at any given time and be asked to run whatever they want to run. In a sense, you have to know as much as the quarterback.

Originally posted by Chachie

So wait... I have been too embarrassed to ask this question until now, but this seems like a justifiable opportunity.

If "HB" refers to HALF-BACK, what is an "H-Back?" Neither Cooley or Sellers are half-backs, so what's the deal?

IIRC H back and HB are the same thing; which is a half back.

Cooley and Sellers are Hbacks. Both built like blocking TE's but have the pass catching ability of a RB or a pass catching TE

More on the H-back position from Doc Walker who played the position for Gibbs:

http://www.extremeskins.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=interviews&file=docpostdraft

Xtreme Skins: Did the team surprise you by trading a second round draft pick next year for [utah State TE] Chris Cooley? What do you know about him?

DW: No, it didn’t surprise me, because to play the H-back position, they have to get a guy that they think can adapt to it. He has to have some wide receiver, running back—something in his past—other than being a traditional tight end. Because a large majority of your [H-back] responsibilities, you have to perform moving—on the run. And if you’ve been a traditional tight end, always in the 3-point stance every play, it’s very difficult. But if you’ve been wide out, or if you’ve moved around, it’s not as tough a deal to figure out. They think he’s got it.

You’ve got to have size, you’ve got to have enough speed to get down the middle, you’ve got to be bright enough to figure it all out, and you’ve got to be in tremendous condition because you’ve got to move all up and down the offense on every play.

Xtreme Skins: When you first came in to the league, Doc, how long did it take you to adapt to the H-back position? And I’m also curious to know to what extent the position has evolved since you played.

DW: I don’t think it’s evolved at all ... it’s based on the person. The beauty of the position, in Joe’s scheme, is that they’ll just get what they can get out of you, and you can man the position with several people. It can be situational—down and distance—and there are so many different ways you can do it. You just have to learn it.

It’s not rocket science, but it is different that what you’re used to if you’ve played a traditional position, because you usually start somewhere other than where you end up—every play. So you hear everything on the opposite—a lot of times you’re used to hearing a call in the huddle, and it tells you exactly where to go. In this case, it tells you where not to go first—everything is reversed in a sense. So you just have to pick it up. It can be done—everyone that’s played it has done it—it’s not that difficult. But, there are a lot of things you have to absorb, and you have to be studious in your preparation.

H-back and halfback are NOT the same thing. H-back is a relatively recent phenomenon - a hybrid of a fullback and a tight end. Halfback goes back to the early days of football and in recent times has equated to a tailback or running back.

How about that! - just as I post this description of a halfback, magically my avatar changes to the modern prototype - Clinton Portis!

RRJ....There are no restrictions as to how many players you must have at each position on your roster. I think the only restrictions are you can't have more than 53 on your active roster and there is also a minimum number of players[43?] you must have on your active roster.

BTW...There's a Robert Reynolds JR involved in harness racing up this way. Is that you?

HB and H-Back are not the same thing. I found this to explain it very well:

An H-back often goes in motion and is used as a blocker in a momentum situation, where he’s in motion and turning upfield at the time the block needs to be thrown. Or, the H-back can be used more like a flanker. By putting the H-back in motion, the offense creates confusion for the defense: who’s going to guard him; when he blocks, whom is he going to go after; etc. The H-back is generally more of an athletic player than the tight end.

The half back can function as a running back, blocking back, or short yardage receiver. The role of the halfback is to run to the outside and be ready to receive a pitch from the quarterback.

Blondie

Archived