Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about the playbook

SmallDaddy

Just had a stupid question. We all talk about the Joe Gibbs offense and players learning the playbook. With Gibbs out of football for so long, where did he get the current playbook? Did he pull the old one out of the mothballs or did he get together with his staff and write a new one (or just modify the old one)? Just wondering if anyone had any inside info.

Originally posted by SmallDaddy

Just had a stupid question. We all talk about the Joe Gibbs offense and players learning the playbook. With Gibbs out of football for so long, where did he get the current playbook? Did he pull the old one out of the mothballs or did he get together with his staff and write a new one (or just modify the old one)? Just wondering if anyone had any inside info.

I certainly don't have any "inside" information. However, from the media pieces we've been made aware of, I think it's fair to say Gibbs and company put together a playbook from scratch. If you'll recall, shortly after Gibbs was signed, there was talk of Ramsey chomping at the bit to "get started" learning things. This was like in February if I recall correctly. The thing is, Gibbs had to tell him to hold on, and take his time, because they had no playbook available at that point.

One reason I think you added Zampese was because he is serving as Gibbs' language coach when it comes to the offense. It's natural the playbook and language of the playbook may be a little rusty for Gibbs now. Zampese is the father of this branch of the offensive tree and is a valuable guy for Gibbs to talk to to get back up to speed completely.

Keep in mind too that there was a story about how Joe and Williams were playing football on the chalkboard. This had to be part of the inception of the present playbook. "Okay, so" Says Joe, (draws on chalkboard or dry erase. Take your pick), " If I line up with this formation and do this, what's the defense going to respond with?"

"Well", says Williams drawing on whatever, " Since I lined up with this and have called this, my LB's are set to read....." and so on.

Wouldn't surprise me if Joe took some of the basics of the old and started from there.

Don't also forget that the coaches watched a lot of game film of the best offenses in the league and probably stole some stuff from them. Joe has said on more than one occasion that he has no problem using plays created elsewhere. I believe he also said that he was going to use some plays for Portis that were run in Denver. He probably added those after the skins picked up Portis.

Originally posted by Art

Zampese is the father of this branch of the offensive tree and is a valuable guy for Gibbs to talk to to get back up to speed completely.

Holy crap Art!

W/ all the commo about Gibbs' return, I forgot that we had this offensive guru behind the curtain.

I wonder what that playbook will look like...

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Holy crap Art!

W/ all the commo about Gibbs' return, I forgot that we had this offensive guru behind the curtain.

I wonder what that playbook will look like...

The playbook will probably have a bunch of papers in it with X's and O's something like this:

This is one of the many things I am excited to see once the regular season starts.

I think it'll be based on the combination of alot of things.

For one, as Art mentioned, Zampese was brought in to be an offensive advisor. I can't think of a better way to advise than on the playbook. Remember he was recently with the Rams and before that Dallas, so I think they'll be plenty of creative passing plays and maybe even more 4 receiver stuff than Gibbs has done in the past.

For two, as Park City mentioned, Greg Williams telling him what won't work as well as it used to, or better yet, what adjustments to make to make things work.

Don Breaux, Joe Bugel, Jack Burns, Rennie Simmons - all have recently been on coaching staffs. - They will figure out what works and how to make what doesn't to work. The defensive coaching staff is stacked with experience.

I have a feeling it will have some things that will remind you of the old days (constant shifting and motioning), but it'll be mostly new.

We will see a very plain version of it in pre-season.

This is where Gibbs style will be our advantage. You know he looked at the Rams and Chiefs offenses. He will try a lot of things in camp and fine tune as the season goes on, with what the team does best.

Wide receiver screen anyone???:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

Do you think he'll use the reverse to Gardener whom throws the TD to Coles or a TE when they are 3rd and 10 from the 20??

I don't care what you say about Spurrier, that was a cool play.

Originally posted by worm

Do you think he'll use the reverse to Gardener whom throws the TD to Coles or a TE when they are 3rd and 10 from the 20??

I don't care what you say about Spurrier, that was a cool play.

True, true. So were all the WR screens to Coles.

Originally posted by Art

One reason I think you added Zampese was because he is serving as Gibbs' language coach when it comes to the offense. It's natural the playbook and language of the playbook may be a little rusty for Gibbs now. Zampese is the father of this branch of the offensive tree and is a valuable guy for Gibbs to talk to to get back up to speed completely.

Zampese is not the father of this branch of offense. Don Coryell is. Gibbs was the co-offensive cordinator with Coryell and Zampese was the wide receivers coach.

This artcle...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A11482-2004Jan12?language=printer

...explains this:

Gibbs wasn't always sold on Zampese's offensive acumen. When Coryell named Zampese the Chargers' wideout coach in 1979, Gibbs questioned the hiring.

Gibbs, Hanifan and Zampese had been assistants for Coryell when he revolutionized the passing game as a San Diego State coach. But as a defensive backs coach at San Diego State for six seasons -- under then-defensive coordinator John Madden -- Zampese was known for developing NFL-caliber cornerbacks.

However, Gibbs quickly realized that Zampese's mind-set as a defensive coach helped his offensive wizardry.

Archived