Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson Story

tkatz

My father and his best friend of 25 years are die-hard Redskins fans, have been for almost all their lives. My dads best friend is a physician in Washington and many of the Redskins attend his practice with their children. About two weeks ago my father was at work when he got a call. It was his buddy saying that he needed to tell him something important. There was a pause on the phone and then my dad heard another voice.....

"Hey, whats going on Tony?"

"Who is this?" - My dad replied.

"Big Daddy Wilkinson"

Big Daddy still resides in Washington (as well as Detroit) and even though it was his first trip to see my dads friend I guess he couldn't resist asking him to call my dad. My father said that Wilkinson was one of the nicest athletes he had ever talked to. He was engaging, funny, smart and nice enough to talk for 20 minutes!

It was interesting to hear some of the things Big Daddy had to say about the "Spurrier era." He said that many of the coaches were "clueless(his exact word usage)" and that he hated being in Washington along with many other of his colleagues. He said that the atmosphere was depressing and that not very many players had any affection for Spurrier or his staff. He keeps in touch with Champ Bailey and said that Bailey thought things were a disaster over there. But he did say that he loved Washington and the fans and think its a great football city.

All and all I think it was cool that Wilkinson took the time to do that and it shows hes a real class act when it comes to the fans.

Good story. Big Daddy, whatever his lack of fire for keeping in shape or his failure to meet his draft status, struck me as a decent fellow.

And he merely confirms what many of us could sense watching this team, especially last year.

Spurrier was clueless and wasn't much fun to watch or play for. I am with him there.

So what was the reason that Wilkinson disappointed us in 4 of those other 5 years he was here in DC under different coaches while soaking up all those dollars? :evil:

Yeah, apparently he's a pretty nice guy. My parents wound up behind him in the checkout line at Barnes and Noble a couple of years ago. My mother recognized him, so they struck up a conversation with him, and apparently had quite a pleasant and lengthy discussion. He was buying some magazines on warm climate architecture (Florida/Mexican style).

I think fans can get a bit caught up into onfield performance and gameday behavior, and fail to make the separation between the players as athletes and human beings.

I know someone that knows him too. - Met at a car show I think. The guy I know owns a classic '67 Camaro and apparently so does BDW. This was several years ago and he still comes by his house once or twice a year for a cook-out and to talk cars.

I always liked him - I just wished he re-did his contract last year....Oh, well.

Big Daddy was a good dude and he did have one good season with the skins. the year they went to the playoffs. Man, I want to hear all the horror stories about the Spurrier era. Sometimes, sportstalk 980 will tease you but of course they can't tell us everything. But apparently it was a joke. I don't blame any of the skins the last few years for hating this place. There were times, we were the joke of the NFL. I also understand why Champ wanted to leave, I mean, how many changes does he have to go through just to go through another losing season. BUT, I do think CP will help us big time so I am not sad he left!

Originally posted by Hobo

i still remember the play where he got a fumble or interception or tip or something, and ran it back a longways for a td, with Green helping to push him.

Twas against da Bears. I was visiting my folks in District Heights and we were watching the game. Took Big Daddy about 15 minutes to run those 88 yards. I didn't think he was going to make it. I was sure he would run out of gas on the 5 yard line and collapse.

End of the run pic:

I'm glad that "Big Daddy" was cool. That's nice. I do, however, have a problem with the statement that "[he] hated being in Washington along with many other of his colleagues...the atmosphere was depressing and that not very many players had any affection for Spurrier or his staff." So what? I have similar feelings for my job, but I go to work neveryday and do what I am supposed to do becasue I am getting a paycheck which I am supposed to earn. I believe that these guys beleive that the fact that they didn't like the coaches (like I don't like my boss) gave them license to be lackadasical and indifferent on the playing field.

The funny thing is my Dad said his introduction was as "Big Daddy Wilkinson" I think that is hilarious. From what my dad told me it really sounded like Spurrier had no control over the team, nor did he have a good idea of what it took to be a headcoach. He said Spurrier was way out his element and bewildered. Its sad that an actual profesional football team was so out of control. But its nice to see a friendly athlete and kind athlete.

I'm sure its probably more of hated the situation than hated the place. Although there are some athletes who want out at the first sign of adversity, as Nicealot mentioned.

So what? I have similar feelings for my job, but I go to work neveryday

Freudian slip?

Originally posted by DominatingDonkeys

Hey, whats going on Tony?"

"Who is this?" - My dad replied.

"Big Daddy Wilkinson"

LOL he actually presents himself has "Big Daddy Wilkinson", how funny is that..... If that actually did happen :rolleyes:

try to not be such an idiot, especially on a non Broncos board..

There's a difference between going to work everyday and having an incompetent or cruel manager or organizational culture that saps your joy or sets you up to fail.

I mean, we've all had better situations in school and work and worse. It doesn't reflect entirely on us if we aren't happy with it. Might be we're upset or bothered for a reason.

Oh come on now DH. Spurrier expected the players to be professionals . :rolleyes:

It was so painfully obvious by halfway through last season that the team didn't believe in Spurrier. I do respect some of the guys that were defending SOS, like Bubba and Code, but it's hard for me to understand how anyone could have thought that SOS was doing a good job or should have been around another season. The guy was an absolute bust.

Originally posted by GSF

Oh come on now DH. Spurrier expected the players to be professionals . :rolleyes:

It was so painfully obvious by halfway through last season that the team didn't believe in Spurrier. I do respect some of the guys that were defending SOS, like Bubba and Code, but it's hard for me to understand how anyone could have thought that SOS was doing a good job or should have been around another season. The guy was an absolute bust.

I think Spurrier will go down as a joke as an NFL coach. Obviously players are going to say positive things in the press, probably because Spurrier was a good guy and you never know if a system is going to work. I still want to hear some stories from the players. If anyone knows any, pass it on!!

Originally posted by afparent

Obviously players are going to say positive things in the press, probably because Spurrier was a good guy and you never know if a system is going to work.

The impression my dad got from Big Daddy was that the players didnt think too highly of Spurrier either....

That wouldnt surprise me because the guy did seem quite arrogant and lazy.

Yeah, I would love to have Big Daddy back with us on the team right now. He didnt play up to his potential but it would be a solid twosome of Griffin and Big D. He had a good season w/ the Lions last year, we should have restrcutured his contract.

Archived