Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Big Bodies???????

I forget the thread so I don't have the link, but Jansen was interviewed a while back (before the dirtbags) and they asked him if he considers himself and the O-Line the new Hogs. Jansen replied perfectly by saying any nickname that the O-Line gets will be earned and issued by Coach Bugel. You can't give yourself a nickname. Bugel later on gave them the name of Dirtbags. I think Samuels didn't like that name so he his trying for something else. The dirtbags has grit and a good Hog-type feel to it. Big Bodies sounds simply stupid to me.

Gibbs must adjust to cultural changes

Matt Hill

Special to NFL.com

(June 24, 2004) -- When Joe Gibbs came back to the Washington Redskins on Jan. 7 -- after 11 years away from football -- fans in the nation's capital immediately looked forward to a return to the team's glory years.

While there is little doubt the players will learn a great deal from their new coach -- a three-time Super Bowl champion in his first tenure -- there also is a great deal Gibbs will need to learn from today's players.

The 63-year-old Gibbs must familiarize himself with the slang that permeates NFL locker rooms and playing fields.

"Something we say now is, 'You got wheeled on,' meaning the man just turned and wheeled by you," cornerback Fred Smoot said. "I think back in the day when he last coached, they used to say, 'You got burned.' "

Offensive tackle Chris Samuels offered another example, one to which Gibbs can relate.

"You know how they had 'The Hogs' back in the day, and they were famous," said Samuels of the Redskins' legendary offensive line of the 1980s and early '90s. "Our new name for the offensive line is the 'Big Bodies.' You hear people say, 'I've got a brand new Big Body Benz or Big Body Escalade.' We're kind of putting it all together right now, but we're the Big Bodies up front."

Despite changes in the slang, Smoot and Samuels believe Gibbs will catch on quickly.

"Coach is a football guy," Smoot said. "The slang may have evolved, but it really all stays the same."

As is typical in NFL locker rooms across the country, rap and hip-hop lyrics that provide much of today's slang often blare throughout Redskins Park.

"I like rap music," Samuels said. "That's going to be a big change for coach Gibbs. He's going to listen to a lot of hip-hop and rap music. The only thing I think he can relate to in hip-hop is the Chicago Bears' Super Bowl Shuffle in '85. And that's very different from hip-hop nowadays."

"I listen to that Dirty South crunk -- Lil' John, Ludacris," Smoot said about his music interests. "When (Gibbs) used to coach, they were probably listening to Kool Moe Dee, or maybe L.L. Cool J."

The cars NFL players drive today have changed along with the music.

"I think it's going to be a shock to coach Gibbs," Samuels said about the money players now spend on cars. "When these guys show up and you've got (million-dollar) cars sitting in the parking lot, it's going to be strange for him to see."

"I drive a 745LI (BMW) with (22-inch rims) on it," guard Randy Thomas said. "Coach Gibbs doesn't know anything about 22s. When he was last coaching, players were driving more like souped-up Cadillacs."

While Gibbs was accustomed to his past players modeling nice clothes, NFL wardrobes have come a long way since his first stint with the 'Skins.

"I think it's all about designer suits and the personal tailors these days," Smoot said. "I don't ever go into a store and buy a suit off the racks anymore. I've got to get it personally made."

The third-year cornerback believes Gibbs is stylish enough to keep up with today's fashion trends.

"I like coach's style, but he can't go back to the old-school sweaters," Smoot said, referring to the maroon Redskins pullover Gibbs regularly sported as he paced the sidelines of RFK Stadium on autumn Sundays in the '80s.

Gibbs' old Redskins teams were known for their professionalism and sportsmanship. Three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Art Monk, for example, would simply hand the ball to the referee after a touchdown

With such restrained celebration rare in the NFL today, how will Gibbs react?

"He is an open-minded coach," Samuels said. "He'll definitely keep an eye on guys who are celebrating, but I don't think he wants to take away the fun of the game. As long as the guy's not hurting the team as far as getting penalties, I think everything will be fine."

Smoot hopes Samuels is right.

"I can't just hand the ball over to the official when I make a play," Smoot said. "Wait until I get my first interception next season. I'm going to show everyone my Andre 3000," a shimmy created by the free-spirited member of the hip-hop group Outkast.

The Redskins will open their 2004 season Sept. 12 at home against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the players are eager to get Joe Gibbs Era II under way.

As for the coach, he is not worried about relating to today's players.

"I don't think they're different," Gibbs said. "People are people. I see so many stories here that I relate to guys I coached in the past. Obviously there are some cultural changes. But I've always got along with that and I've always admired that. The biggest thing is: Get the right kind of guys and get a real team feeling."

After only one playoff appearance in Gibbs' 11-year absence, Redskins fans the world over are hoping their 'Skins develop that "real team feeling" quickly.

img7447382.jpg

Joe Gibbs might have to rely on his grandson Miller for some pointers on today's NFL culture.

Million dollar cars, 22 inch rims, blingity blingity blingity:rolleyes:

I hope some of them have read this article...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56382-2004Jun20.html

Sooner and Later, Money Matters

Savvy Athletes Skip Living Large to Fund Post-Glory Years

By Thomas Heath

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, June 21, 2004; Page D01

Denver Broncos wide receiver Rod Smith is breaking the mold. An 11-year veteran and Pro Bowl player, Smith isn't a stereotypical, big-spending sports star. He banks about $1 million of his $2.5 million pre-tax annual salary, lives in a $228,000 house near Denver, shops at WalMart, hasn't bought a new suit in three years, doesn't support hangers-on and owns no jewelry.

Smith, 34, is a self-described "student of money" and a leader of a growing group of professional athletes who adhere to a relatively modest lifestyle, practice wise financial planning and save prodigiously.

"Guys are scared of money," said Smith, who recently addressed NFL rookies about managing money. He has saved nearly half of his $11 million signing bonus two years ago and has not settled on a post-football career. "Money is so technical. I've seen so many guys come through and they lose millions of dollars because they just don't know."

Professional athletes' salaries have skyrocketed over the past two decades. The average baseball salary has grown from $329,408 in 1984 to approximately $2.3 million in 2002. NFL salaries have gone from $225,600 in 1984 to $1.25 million last year.

With that kind of money, even average players can sock away enough cash during short-lived careers to build a solid financial foundation for years to come, although financial planners say most athletes must plan on having another career when their playing days are over. The problem for the majority of athletes, however, is that even though leagues and teams stress responsible money management, most athletes lack even basic discipline and fritter away their money, managers say.

"We have had players go out and buy five homes within the same 12 months their first year," said Steve Piascik of Piascik & Associates, a tax accounting firm that handles finances for more than 70 professional athletes. "They go out and get their bonus, buy a house or two for mom, one for their girlfriend, brother, sister. We have had players go through all of their money in two years and have nothing left."

"Most are not saving nearly enough," said Kathy Lintz, a St. Louis-based financial adviser who manages money for nearly 100 athletes and consults with the NFL and the Los Angeles Rams. "The balance between what they want to do today and how they want to live today, juxtaposed with how much it takes to save to sustain that lifestyle from age 35 to 85, is just a huge challenge. The party line is, 'If I go and have a good career, I shouldn't have to work any more.' The goal should be to take advantage of the opportunity to accumulate a great base for the rest of your life. You still need to find your life's work."

Lintz calculates that athletes can draw a maximum of 5 percent annually from their retirement savings once their career is over, with 4 percent even more desirable in order to make their nest egg last. That means an athlete must save $2 million just to give himself or herself an $80,000 annual income.

"That's not enough to live in a million-dollar house and cover most of their expenses in order to stay there a long time," she said. She encourages clients such as Smith and Anthony Pleasant, a defensive end with the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, to plan for jobs after their careers are over so they can stretch their savings over a longer span.

Pleasant banks around $300,000 of his $1 million salary in a good year. At 36, he is nearing the end of his career and hopes to work in a construction industry job that will pay him about $50,000 to $70,000 annually when he retires.

"If you can get a job that pays you benefits as well as [health] insurance, you won't drain all your investments," said Pleasant, who has saved several million dollars over his 14-year career, including $250,000 in his 401(k). "Football has been a steppingstone to get ahead in life . . . a job, not a career."

It's a similar view shared by former NBA guard Cory Alexander, 30, who still earns about $1 million a year playing basketball in Rome and has put enough aside to assemble a group of automotive and real estate businesses in Richmond that he hopes to run the rest of his life.

"I wanted to establish the businesses because I knew five years from now I would not be playing basketball," he said.

Alexander said it took years of smart saving to fund his businesses. And it wasn't easy. He splurged nearly $100,000 on a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Dodge Viper when he signed with the San Antonio Spurs for about $560,000 a year after coming out of the University of Virginia in 1995.

Alexander quickly got on a savings track when then-teammate David Robinson told him to take advantage of his money-earning sweet spot and not try to keep up with everybody else. Alexander lives well beneath his means, with a $1 million home outside Richmond, where he resides with his wife and daughter. His net worth is in the single-digit millions.

"The budget is the most important thing, especially for someone not making the huge money," said Alexander, who eventually signed a seven-year contract with the Denver Nuggets for more than $10 million before he was bought out of the deal. "I was making great money at 21 years old. I was a millionaire. My income was high from 21 to 30, so I had to make my money then and be able to allow it to carry me through the rest of my life."

That's the kind of thinking that financial advisers are trying to instill in the players. Lintz, Piascik, Steve Trax of SFX Financial Advisory Management Enterprises Inc. and Frank Zecca of Octagon Financial Services are all working with athletes, trying to give them the financial coaching they will need for the rest of their lives.

"My biggest concern is that . . . [my clients are] not trying to keep up with their teammates or what society expects," Trax said.

Most advisers charge their clients a fee equal to about 1 percent of the athlete's investments or net worth.

Former Cleveland Cavaliers star center Brad Daugherty said the one mistake he made was giving his former Little League coach $10,000 in seed money for a cosmetics start-up. Daugherty has resisted giving his family members jobs or straight out cash.

Daugherty started saving in his rookie season of 1986, saving $5 million in his first four years in the NBA by living like someone who earned $50,000 per year instead of the $1 million the Cavaliers were paying him. He earned another $500,000 or so a year from an endorsement deal with Reebok.

"I rented an apartment in Cleveland for $625 a month," said Daugherty, who even drove a complimentary Chevy Blazer from an area auto dealer rather than buy his own car. "I had nothing to spend my [$1 million salary] on. I was a single guy. I had nothing to buy."

Daugherty, who splits his time between a home in Florida and a 65-acre farm near Asheville, N.C., began investing in car dealerships while playing for the Cavaliers. He now owns interests in four Ford Motor Co. dealerships, including one of the largest Ford agencies in the United States, and is estimated to be worth tens of millions of dollars; he has 65 percent of his investments in municipal bonds and the rest in blue-chip stocks.

Pleasant, the Patriots' defensive end, doesn't have nearly as much money as Daugherty but he saved enough to keep his three children in private school and pay for a beautiful home in Cornelius, N.C. He also owns another home in Florida, where his sister lives.

When Pleasant got his first signing bonus for $132,000 in 1990, he was tempted to go out and buy the BMW 850 he had longed for while playing football at Tennessee State. But the bonus shrunk to $96,000 after taxes, so Pleasant decided to put the money in the bank and save it for a house.

"I said, 'I can't live in a car.' So if I put the money into a house, I can live in a house," said Pleasant, who started with the Cleveland Browns in 1990.

Matt Light, 25, a starting left tackle for the Patriots, banked about $500,000 of a $1.3 million signing bonus when he was drafted from Purdue University in 2001. Though he still has most of that money, Light could end up with $10 million in the bank if he gets a double-digit signing bonus when his contract is up next year and is healthy enough to save most of his salary the next several seasons.

"I try to save as much as possible," said Light, who owns modest homes in Boston and in his home town of Greeneville, Ohio. "When we get the next deal done I'm going to try and save well more than half of my bonus."

Smith is sitting back and watching his investments grow, looking for a new place to put his money. He is eyeing a Subway franchise and a car wash. In a good year, the stock market can boost his worth by a million or two. He owns real estate in Atlanta and 20 units in Texas, where his sister runs the properties.

"I have a great life. I do what I want, when I want," said Smith, who grew up poor in the Chicago projects. "A lot of guys say I'm cheap. On the street you may look better. But you look at me in the bank, I look better than you."

Chris Samuels better not think he's EARNED the right to name any o-line. :doh: In fact, until this season begins and he proves different, he IS a dirtbag.

(I don't want to hear any "pro bowl" schlock, either. He didn't earn that and everyone here knows it.)

I think this stuff about JG being too old and out of touch is way overexaggrated. I am sure he didn't listen to the same music as Dexter Manley. We know he didn't enjoy the spirits like John Riggins and I am sure he didn't approve of Joe T actions. I don't think he really cares about the cars his players drive or the music they listen to. Sure there are young coaches but in most sports, the coach/manager is at least one generation ahead of his players. People are people just like JG says.

I think he means that offensive linemen are known as big bodies now a days. Back in the 80s, lineman were called somethings else, in the 70s, 60s ect. Times change, names change. So he means IN GENERAL offensive lineman are known as big bodies.

I think its pretty stupid that the players think its important that Gibbs knows about their 22 inch rims and music they listen to now. Who really cares? I doubt that players having custom suits made is going to matter, as if players in the early 90's got paid with cigarettes and food and all lived together in the stadium because they had no money or something.

This has to be one of the stupidest articles I've read.

I'm sure Gibbs is staying up nights worrying about the cars in the parking lot, the music on the radio, or the clothes his players choose to wear. :rolleyes:

These players that are more worried about the 'bling-bling' they wear and drive and is sung about on the radio, and how the coach is going to react to it, better worry more about how he is going to react if they don't show up to play football on Sundays. :)

Coach Gibbs is well aware of cultural changes and that times change (though people usually don't.).

Gibbs is coming back to the NFL, not from another planet. The article acts as if Gibbs has been sitting in a dark cave for the last 12 years. With his eyes shut, and his fingers in his ears. :)

Then that junk about how is he going to react to celebrations? Hello, doesn't this guy remember the "Fun Bunch"? Gibbs attitude has usually been if the celebration isn't too long, too taunting, or won't draw a penalty, then he doesn't care.

The funny thing is, folks have been asking since Gibbs return how is he going to handle today's NFL?

The better question is how is the rest of the NFL going to handle a classy Hall of Fame coach like Joe Gibbs. :)

Skins Guy

Archived