Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Random quotes from around the league 6-12

bubba9497

Random quotes from around the league

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/They+Said+It/2004/said061104.htm

Bills CB Troy Vincent, who recently was elected as NFL Players Association president, complaining that players don’t have enough time in their schedule to develop as people away from the gridiron: “I do understand that right now I’m a professional football player. But at the same time, I want to be able to walk away from this game and talk about what this game has done for me both personally and professionally. … I think about the integrity of the game. The better our product, the smarter our player, the better the game is. And the offseason workout program is in conflict with developing the 'man' side.”

Steelers WR Hines Ward, who is scheduled to make $1,688,760 in base salary this season, complaining about his contract status in the wake of his team renegotiating QB Tommy Maddox’s contract, something that is very rare for the Steelers to do: “I maxed out all my incentives… and I’m still underpaid. That’s just a fact.”

Patriots CB Ty Law, who only months ago claimed the team’s four-year, $26 million contract offer was a “slap in the face” while saying that he couldn’t imagine himself in a Pats uniform again, on his recent reconciliation with head coach Bill Belichick and return to the fold in New England: “It’s just time to move on; the past is the past. Things happen. This is a business. I’m a Patriot and I’m glad to be.”

Ravens QB Kordell Stewart on what it feels like to go through minicamp with a team that only signed him last week: “It’s like going south on I-695 doing 150 mph, and you’re new to this country so you have to read every single sign. I’m trying to see them on the go. Some of them I have to reverse and take a peek at before going again. Eventually, I’ll get it.”

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin hinting that veteran Kurt Warner and not rookie Eli Manning will be the team’s starting quarterback to open the season: “One thing you can’t switch from one player to the other is the experience factor, and obviously Kurt has that. He has been there. It’s going to take time for Eli. No question about that.”

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith on the decision to trade a fifth-round pick in 2005 to the Buccaneers for veteran OLT Roman Oben: “The bottom line is we need help, and we believe he can help. We think he has a lot of good rubber left on his tires.”

Giants ORG David Diehl on the difficulties the team will face now that offensive line coach Pat Flaherty has disclosed that he is battling colon cancer: “It’s emotional knowing the man who has been leading the troops is not going to be around for some of it. We’re all going to be supporting him throughout the whole thing. That’s the main thing. We have to be there whenever he is down and needs our help. We are going to be there.”

Originally posted by bubba9497

Patriots CB Ty Law, who only months ago claimed the team’s four-year, $26 million contract offer was a “slap in the face” while saying that he couldn’t imagine himself in a Pats uniform again, on his recent reconciliation with head coach Bill Belichick and return to the fold in New England: “It’s just time to move on; the past is the past. Things happen. This is a business. I’m a Patriot and I’m glad to be.”

.”

Damn.....maybe this will shut up all the Cowboy fans saying that the Boys will get Law.

The better our product, the smarter our player, the better the game is. And the offseason workout program is in conflict with developing the 'man' side

hmmm, didn't stop Darrell Green.

didn't stop Steve Young from becoming a lawyer in his free time....

Art Monk does fairly well too ......

Come to think on it, so does Charley Brown (college coach), mark Murphy (athletic director for a college), williams was coach at Grambling......

Sure hasn't stopped a lot of players. It's only stopped the ones looking for an excuse.......

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith on the decision to trade a fifth-round pick in 2005 to the Buccaneers for veteran OLT Roman Oben: “The bottom line is we need help, and we believe he can help. We think he has a lot of good rubber left on his tires.”

[/b]

That looks like a good deal. I dont know how Oben played last year, but a fifth is almost nothing for him. Was he gonna get released or something? Maybe he's hurt, but thats kinda cheap for him..

for those of us that have worked 60-70 plus hour a week jobs on a regular basis, Vincent crying that he doesn't in fact have 5 months 'off' after the season is over doesn't get much sympathy from this quarter :laugh:

Troy, you are 34 years old. Perhaps it is time to retire, take all that money you have in the bank and take a painting class, read some literature and travel.

Relax and enjoy life dude. The Bills ain't going to the Super Bowl in 2004 anyway :cool:

It was also only months ago also that Ty Law said that Belichick was a genius and that even if he decided to cut him he would agree that belickick was right.

Originally posted by Montilar

hmmm, didn't stop Darrell Green.

didn't stop Steve Young from becoming a lawyer in his free time....

Art Monk does fairly well too ......

Come to think on it, so does Charley Brown (college coach), mark Murphy (athletic director for a college), williams was coach at Grambling......

Sure hasn't stopped a lot of players. It's only stopped the ones looking for an excuse.......

what he said.:logo:

Bills CB Troy Vincent, who recently was elected as NFL Players Association president, complaining that players don’t have enough time in their schedule to develop as people away from the gridiron: “I do understand that right now I’m a professional football player. But at the same time, I want to be able to walk away from this game and talk about what this game has done for me both personally and professionally. … I think about the integrity of the game. The better our product, the smarter our player, the better the game is. And the offseason workout program is in conflict with developing the 'man' side.”

Hasn't he developed his "man" side yet??? He's 34 for cryin' out loud!!!!

Giants ORG David Diehl on the difficulties the team will face now that offensive line coach Pat Flaherty has disclosed that he is battling colon cancer:

Man, did the Giants piss off the gods, or what?

~Bang

Originally posted by bulldog

Troy, you are 34 years old. Perhaps it is time to retire, take all that money you have in the bank and take a painting class, read some literature and travel.

That's about what Reid told him before letting him hit free agency. :)

Archived