Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cell phones

Mr. S

Hey, Id like some advice from you all. Basically my parents cell phone contract ends sometime in June, and we would like to see whats the best option for a family talk plan. I currently dont have a cell phone, but will be put on my parents plan once they get a new service.

Right now, they have Verizon, and although the coverage has been good, we've just had some brushes with them that we didnt like.

Today at Best Buy the guy recommended Cingular, now my parents had Cingular more than 2 years ago, and that was pretty bad also, but the sales person said that Cingular just bought out AT&T's network and now has the largest coverage area. The plan for a familytalk plan would be 60$ for what we believe is two phones, 800 shared anytime minutes, and free nights and weekends and free to all Cingular customers. 10$ for my additional line. Is Cingular worth going for? If not, which plans do you all recommend?

My big thing about cell phones is the phones.

See, I'm a trekkie, and ever since they came out with the flip-open phones, I've been waiting for somebody to come out with a "communicator" phone.

It should have the appropriate ring, and voice dialing. (For the classic "Kirk to Enterprise".

Just my opinion, but I think there's enough wierdos out there who'd buy one.

I have been with Sprint for years. The main reason I have stayed is the service has been good, many of my friends and family are on the plan, and we can all talk to each other for $5 a month for as long as we like. I also pay the $5 for the 7PM nights and weekends, which is worth the money as I am usually off my cell phone by 9PM most days.

My girlfriend has Cingular and I haven't been impressed with the service.

I tried a couple of other companies for a short time to see if I could improve on Sprint.

T-Mobile was bad in my area... too many dead spots on the interstate.

Verizon wasn't too impressive. Same problem with Verizon here was too many dead spots, or almost as bad it would roll into analog roam and I couldn't hear the other person.

I like Sprint, the phones are pretty good but you will get stuck having to try and buy accessories from them or through eBay. Best Buy carries some but I am not that impressed.

Most of the companies will offer a 14-30 day try it before you keep it type program. They can try it for a set period before the contract becomes permanent. That is how I got out from under the T-Mobile contract, however I did have to pay the connection fee.

Good luck to your parents.

Peace

I sell Sprint at the Best Buy here in Newport News VA...............and I agree with everyone else Sprint is the way to go!!!

You can get 700 shared mins

Unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7

and unlimited sprint to sprint:

For $85/month---------includes no charge for roaming

----------------------------------------------------------------

"To be the man you have to beat the man!!!!!!!"

Check out the AT&T wireless store. They will soon have the same GSM network as Cingular and for the same price as Cingular's service I got nights and weekends starting at 7. I just combined my phone services into a family plan, my daughter had cingular in NC, where she goes to college, and my wife and other daughter had AT&T in Md. By combining the plans, I finally got a cell phone for myself.

Also got some nice Samsung flip phones. hadn't thought about the star trek aspect.

Hobo, I'm basically in the same situation as you. I have Springt currently and my agreement is running out at the end of the month. I'm switching to another carrier because it does not work too well in certain parts of NOVA. However, everywhere outside of those certain areas it works great. Unfortunately I go to school in NOVA and need something that will work there.

We're probably going to switch to T-Mobile. They got some good deals on phones right now (we're going to get two sony-erricsonns for free). The rate plans are also cheaper than Sprint's. I think you can get like 600 anytimes mniutes, unlimited night, weekend, and mobile to mobile minutes for around $70. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by BDBuddy23

I have cingular and just got a new 'gsm band' phone with it. I haven't had any problems with reception. you can check their webcite for plans and such.

jmho but bad move I had gsm with ATT and there is only one tower in VA and most of the time you are using analog or digital anyways and are paying extra money:puke: got rid of it a month ago. Bought a Verizon camera phone and have no complaints the coverage is better by FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I used T-Mobile. The service is good. I have a family plan, so if I call anyone of my family that has the same plan, it would be free. But the thing is my phone never has a signal when I am in building. That is the only downfall I see.

I sale Sprint phones as well and I too would recommend you to go with Sprint. It seems like Sprint's coverage over there in the east coast is pretty awesome from the coverage maps that I have. If you were to go with Sprint, I would recommend a Sanyo phone. I have had pretty much all types of phones out there, from Nokia, Motorola, LG, Seimens, Samsung, and Sanyo. And by far Sanyo is unbeatable. The reception is awesome, the speakerphone option on some of the Sanyo phones are amazing, very clear. But like someone else said, you have a 14 day trial period to try out Sprint, and if you're not satisfied, Cingular would be the second choice.

Archived