Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Job growth strong again

jbooma

Including an adjustment from March and April that increased the current numbers.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/04/news/economy/jobless_may/index.htm?cnn=yes

Job growth strong again

May jobs report shows 248,000 new jobs; April number revised higher; jobless rate holds at 5.6%.

June 4, 2004: 8:44 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - U.S. job growth remained strong in May, a government report showed Friday, as the number of jobs added came in above Wall Street expectations.

The Labor Department report showed 248,000 new jobs in May, compared with the revised 346,000 increase reported in April. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com forecast the May report would show a 225,000-job gain.

The April job gain was revised up from a previous reading of 288,000 new jobs. The March jobs gain was also revised higher to 353,000 from a previous reading of 337,000 additional jobs. That puts the three-month job increase at 947,000, the best gain since 1.03 million jobs were added during the same three months of 2000.

The job increase was broad-based, with only government employment falling in the period. Manufacturing added 32,000 jobs and construction added 37,000. Retailers added 19,000 jobs.

The unemployment rate came in at 5.6 percent, unchanged from April and in-line with the consensus forecast from Briefing.com.

The jobs report was closely watched by investors for a clue about when the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates. The Fed is now expected to raise interest rates at its June 30 meeting, rather than waiting for its August meeting.

Friday's report did little to change thinking -- Treasury prices were little changed following the report as the yield on the 10-year note stayed near 4.71 percent.

Originally posted by Rock-Bufford

Under the new standards. Here is a list of "jobs" added

Pimp

Ho

Whore

Crack Whore

Asst. Crack Whore

ExtremeSkins Poster

Bum

Drifter

Cowboy Fan

Band Groupie

Food Taster

Air Guitar Player

Nice resume R-B ;).

Funny how a little over a month ago Kerry and the DNC said the election was going to be about the economy.

Funny how its been under reported by all of the networks except one cable channel that in liberals eyes dont count.

Now its about the outrage of a prison full of terrorist not represented by the ACLU

This is good news. Some pretty huge misses in their previous numbers though... 70,000 off. How do you get to be off by 25%? Either someone is tinkering with the data or this number should be lowered by one for the statistician who is to be fired.

Question: Is this something like the pro athlete who finally produces good numbers in his contract year?

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Well considering the economy sinking at the beginning of 2001, and the 9/11 shocks, its incredible that we are back to where we are now.

1.4 million added since last August. Real positive

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I'll add this also.

My friends and I had the easiest time in the last 4 years from what I have seen at Tech.

Friends of mine in the class of 2001 had an ok time finding jobs, friends of mine in 2002 and 2003 went through hell before they got hired.

This year though a lot of my friends didn't have just one but several job offers months ago. Most of my close friends pretty much knew where they were going to work after college back in February or March.

That to me is a very good sign. And for the record I got my job offer on April 30th

Archived