Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Many Sacks Will We Allow Next Season?

semiskin

While there weren't many changes regarding our Offensive Line on the field this offseason, there were a few moves off the field that should help out O-line most notably Joe Bugel.

So my question to you is how many sacks wil our O-line give up next year?

Originally posted by manichispanic

no way ramsey gets sacked more than brunell, he more mobile.......more bad decisions maybe, but not more sacks......

no, id say brunell is more mobile, and ramsey holds on to the bal longer. ill say about 25 sacks sounds right.

I think that since the system will be new to the O-linemen that they will give up a few more that is normal for a Gibbs offense, which is why I picked 11-20, but hopefully once they are down with the system, come 2005 that total will drop more

A markable standard to go by is that Shula, whether with the Colts or when with the Dolphins still maintained a high level of efficiency for protecting his QB's.

I noted this, because certain coaches who win a lot don't lose their edge on what is "their" standard. Players lose the edge, because they're the ones on the field and eventually have to be replaced.

Gibbs run offenses put a premium on QB protection and we all witnessed where the priorities were from day one.

There will definitely not be any standing in the pocket to look like hamburger after each play.

The Kearses and Strahans will still get their shots, but it won't be like old times or should I say the past 11 years.

I voted 21-30 also. That would be an average of less than 2 sacks per game which I think is acceptable.

Less than 10 is unrealistic, this isn't the 1991 line.

The line should be improved by a better scheme and coaching but there are still some question marks such as can Samuels regain his form and can Dockery continue improving.

Injuries are also an unknown factor.

What will interest me in the pass protection is how well players such as rasby and Portis/other RB's contibute in picking up the blitz and assisting in maximum protection. Also, how well will the line adjust to such things as the moving pocket (on rollouts). That is a thing of beauty when it works but I bet it can look real messy if someone doesn't execute.

My guess was about 32 (figuring 2 per game). Do expect these guys to need time to learn to communicate and block as a team. Since we gave up 43 (I believe) last year, this would be an improvement and under 30 would be great.:D

Originally posted by manichispanic

no way ramsey gets sacked more than brunell, he more mobile.......more bad decisions maybe, but not more sacks......

Ramsey is a stay in the pocket kind of guy. He has no wheels. Brunell, on the other hand, used to be a great runner. He has slowed down a ton due to injuries, but he still has the mindset that he has to stretch the pocket and maneuver when necessary. Add in the fact that he is a lefty and the job of protecting his blindside then turns to Jansen and off of Samuel's shoulders.

I think they'll be one the top 5 teams allowing the fewest sacks.

Remember spurrier's system was based on only 5 lineman blocking for ramsey. As for gibbs system, which is run first oriented system he'll use 6 to 8 lineman blocking. Gibbs system is a thing of beauty with his constant shifting and motioning. This really keeps the opposing teams defense guessing and off balance. I wouldn't be suprise if the redskins O-line only give up 10 to 12 sacks this season.

Originally posted by Skinned

My guess was about 32 (figuring 2 per game). Do expect these guys to need time to learn to communicate and block as a team. Since we gave up 43 (I believe) last year, this would be an improvement and under 30 would be great.:D

2 per game average sounds about right.

After last year - I'll take this.

Guest J Dawg

11-24

Gibbs is run run run with good blocking sceems for the pass. Nothing like Sprrier. Last season will be a distant nightmare by October.

:dallasuck

The o-line realy isn't that bad. I think Samules will regain his old form, and the only real question mark is Dockery. I think with Bugel's coaching, and Gibbs's ball control method of pound..pound..pound...pass..pound..pass...pound..pound. will keep teams off balance and allow our line men to engage and knock them off the ball.

Archived