Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:LaVar accepts return to end Role

vegeta613

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20040503-125405-5332r.htm

In a surprising change of attitude, Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington said he is accepting a role as a third-down defensive end and even indicated he shouldn't have bucked when Marvin Lewis played him there in 2002.

Arrington chafed two years ago when Lewis, then Redskins defensive coordinator, moved him from a coverage/run-to-the-ball role on third downs to a three-point stance. Although Arrington finished with 11 sacks, leading all NFL linebackers, he was eager to return to a more varied role last season under George Edwards.

Now he's needed back at defensive end. Washington picked up Phillip Daniels in free agency but still doesn't have a pure pass-rusher. Assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams has been working Arrington at end in minicamp, and the three-time Pro Bowl pick is making the best of it.

"They want me to play defensive end — they want me to play defensive tackle — I don't care," Arrington said yesterday. "I want to win before it gets too late. I don't want the lights to go out on me or look back and say, 'Had I played defensive end and played it as well as I can play it, that might have been the difference.' I don't ever look back on my career that way."

Lewis forced Arrington to play end because, as the coach put it, Arrington "would not embrace the intricacies of playing coverage on third down." The role remained a battleground throughout the season, after which Lewis departed to become the Cincinnati Bengals' head coach.

"You know what? I might give Marv a call," Arrington said. "I do feel some of the things I said back then are definitely accurate. I also can see what his vision was, too. I'm getting older now. Two defensive schemes later, I honestly can understand what Marv was trying to get accomplished."

He added that playing end that year "gives me ... more confidence about trying to do it now."

Coles' toe worries

The right big toe of wide receiver Laveranues Coles remains a concern. Although coach Joe Gibbs said the club no longer is considering surgery, Coles' activity was trimmed back after some discomfort during Saturday's workout.

"[Head trainer] Bubba [Tyer] kind of wanted to be careful today," Gibbs said. "I think [Coles] was kind of sore because he hadn't run a lot. He's been resting his toe. And we talked yesterday about maybe a little different program for him, from a conditioning standpoint, where he's not pounding on his feet. I think he'll just work himself silly, so if anything you have to be a little careful there."

Indeed, Coles is known for his work ethic and determination to play through pain. He noticed his toe problem early last season but didn't reveal it publicly for several weeks, and even then it wasn't dubbed a stress fracture until late in the year. He started all 16 games and made it to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

At the late-March minicamp, Coles said surgery was being considered as a "last resort." But Gibbs said that's no longer the case.

"I don't think so," Gibbs said. "He's outfitted with a new [support] in his shoe there, and he felt like that really helped. But I think it's just a matter of rest. The doctors feel like the best thing is to rest it."

Asked about his toe yesterday, Coles replied, "I'll let the trainers discuss that. I hate discussing that physical stuff."

Minicamp ends

Three days of furious play installation ended with yesterday's practice, the last of the offseason's second minicamp. Play generally was rough this weekend as coaches focused on introducing players — including 14 rookies — to a great deal of the offense and defense.

"I was real pleased to think that you could bring guys in three days ago and do as much as we did offensively and defensively," Gibbs said. "I was pleasantly surprised at how they picked things up."

The club now enters five weeks of offseason meetings and walkthroughs, which are capped by the final minicamp, June 4-6. NFL rules prohibit rookies from being with the team again until at least May 16, at which time players whose classes graduate can return.

"That's tough," Gibbs said. "You really try to challenge them to take home their notes and really study everything we've put in."

Thrash back

Wide receiver James Thrash returned to practice after skipping Saturday's workout when his daughter had to go to the hospital. Abriel, born April 26, returned home but apparently still needs to be monitored.

"We're really not sure what it is," Thrash said. "We're going to take her back, but everything seems OK right now

I hope he isn't at end all the time on 3rd downs....

I know he might be a better talent at end than anyone else we have, but I still see al the potential of him running through the flats.

He just needs to know his assignments and to be drilled on wrapping up. If he and Taylor both learn ho to deliver the blows they can and wrap up at the same time, we will be sickening on defense!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the way our team is huddling around our coaches. We are gonna have reason in our hearts to win. All athletes know that deep down inside part of them performs for their coaches. A complete player plays for their coaches, team, love, fans, etc. I don't think any of our players have had thecompleteness that they will have next year. And so I pray for a complete desire to win next year. Amen.

With Arrington seemingly being receptive towards playing end on third downs, I wouldn't be surprised to see us not make a move for a situational pass rusher after June 1st, should one become available.

I personally am curious as to the specific number of sacks that Arrington had coming off the edge under Lewis? Does anybody have access to this information?

You'd have to think that if a fair number of his 11 sacks came from playing the on the edge (ie. 5, 6, 7 range), it would be wise to possibly stay put after June 1 and not bring a situational rusher (if that is even being contemplated by the coaching staff of course). Lavar surely can duplicate the sack total of what a situational guy would produce.

What is so refreshing about Gibbs is that he knows everything that is going on. Would SOS know about a new toe support in Coles shoe? a Coach Gibbs quote is in almost every article as he is in touch with eveything that is going on in the team.

Heck, per work hour Dan is getting a bargin, given the hours the staff is working he likely is paying on half of what he did last year (per hour) for the coaches. =)

"I was real pleased to think that you could bring guys in three days ago and do as much as we did offensively and defensively," Gibbs said. "I was pleasantly surprised at how they picked things up."

He has been a way from the game a while. They know his offense so well, because other teams, in college and the NFL, use at least some of it in their own system.

Lavar had BY FAR his best year when Schotty was here.

He was all over the field in almost every single game, making plays sideline to sideline. With Lewis here, he got the sacks, he made some big plays, but he also seemed to make more mistakes.

I think that he was more in control when Schottenheimer was here, and even though he didn't make as many "spectacular" plays, he was constantly stopping RBs after short gains, and he was in on so many tackles.

Some great comments in there.

Lavar saying he has "grown up" a little. We might have found our new DT, since Lavar said he wouldn't mind playing there. :)

Seriously, I guess that is another reason we have so many linebackers. Lavar will be at end so we need another LB to cover in 3rd down situations.

Gotta love Coles. "I don't like talking about that physical stuff" when referring to his toe. Let's just hope that the pain he had is from a lack of work, not from it still being hurt. That still worries me.

It seems that our players are truly buying into the system, no questions asked.

When LaVar and maybe Washington go to a three-point stance, it will be in situations that call for a nickle or dime defense, so I don't see other linebackers getting more playing time, I see defensive backs getting more playing time.

Both of these linebackers will get to rush the passer a lot from the linebacker position, too. I can't wait for the times when the defense comes out in one of those 46 looks where both linebackers line up over one offensive tackle and come on the blitz. That's going to be fun to watch, and that's when you'll see guys like Upshaw and Daniels get some sacks, too.

Originally posted by BlindSideBlitz

Coles was hurt most of last year and you could not even tell. I would not worry about it. He comes to play and is not going to let a toe stop him.

Well he should last I checked a toe is important for WR and his speed. I know it is cool to play with pain but this could lead to a nagging injury that stays with him the rest of his career. We don't need, get off your feet and get healthy :cheers:

I have visions of Lavar being like LT again. Williams can move him all over like the Giants did with LT. The Eagles used to let Reggie White line up at different points of the line of scrimmage too. Lavar's recklessness needs to be utilized and this is the best way to do it. Who knows, maybe they'll do it with Washington too? I'm developing a lot of confidence in Greg Williams.

Archived