Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marcus Washington

Golgo-13

I have not watched Indy play very much and was wondering, from any of you that have, what kind of player he is? I have looked at his stats but that only tells part of the story. What style of 'backer is he? What are his strengths/weaknesses, etc. Thanks.

he's a great coverage LB, good tackler. He's a dirty work LB, I would consider him a poor man's version of Derrick Brooks. However, Washington can rush the passer when needed. He's a young and up and coming LB.

What I remember from watching him is he's fast. And is a good coverage LB who seems to make a good amount of big plays. Whether it be big hits, INT's, or just good tackles.

Also he used to be a DE in college so he has excellent pass rushing skills and can be a good pass rusher off the edge. I actually would compare him to be a poor man Lavar Arrington, same type of player just not quite as talented.

He's still up and coming of course, still learning the game but very talented. He was one of the guys I got most excited about signing I really wanted him the whole time.

From what I understand his main weakness is just quickly reading and recognizing plays. But if Williams system he wont have to do that too much, its more just attack, attack, attack, not read and react.

From what I've read about him, he is considered a big, athletic player who is a good pass rusher and is very strong when he has a direction on a play. His weakness is said to be he is not very instinctual and can get washed away in blocks when he's indecisive. He would not, therefore, have been a very good fit for the system we've run much of the last 10 years. He's also not been an every-down player as far as I can tell. He was taken out in many obvious passing situations and I've not seen where he's considered good in coverage.

In D.C. the Skins plan to use his ability to rush the passer in those passing situations so he becomes an every down player for that reason. I've only seen him play a handful of times and I never really paid much mind to him so much of what I know stems from reading on him.

Everything I read did also say that he was adequete in coverage, however from watching a few of his games this past season the opinion I formed was that he was pretty good in coverage.

But I only saw like 4 games or so.

Originally posted by demarc007

That reason would be Peyton Manning's huge contract.

Peyton has his own cap with that team now. They had to cut 5 players for him. Two of them are now on our team.

Thanks Peyton.

Originally posted by kingchris626

if he was all or even any of that good stuff I think I would have heard of him more. There is a reason Indy let him go

That is not exactly a fair statement in this day and age of Free Agency. Sounds like a pretty good player from what you guys have said.

Originally posted by kingchris626

if he was all or even any of that good stuff I think I would have heard of him more. There is a reason Indy let him go

He doesn't fit their system. Personally I don't think Washington is good in coverege, but is a good pass rusher, which is nothing like Derrick Brooks. His skills are wasted ina cover2, if he excelled in coverege as opposed to pass rushing, Indy would've found a way to keep him, b/c they can't really afford to lose defensive players.

Actually it was Peyton's contract that did him in over there. I saw an interview with him and he said that Dungey flat out told him that they couldn't pay him anywhere near what he was worth and hated to loosehim. He was a very good player there but just couldn't afford to resign him.

Originally posted by Golgo-13

I have not watched Indy play very much and was wondering, from any of you that have, what kind of player he is? I have looked at his stats but that only tells part of the story. What style of 'backer is he? What are his strengths/weaknesses, etc. Thanks.

Here ya go Golgo-13...Enjoy

Marcus Washington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Height: 6-3

Weight: 247

Born: Oct. 17, 1977

Auburn, AL

Pos: LB

Grade 73

Insider Analysis Washington has settled in as a starter, and might be on the cusp of bigger things. He was a much-improved blitzer last year after being asked to blitz very little in the past. Versatility and athleticism are outstanding, and give him a chance to get even better. Can line up at end and rush off the edge in nickel situations. First-step quickness gets him to the quarterback. Excellent in space, makes plays from sideline to sideline, and gets to the ball on the move. Sometimes takes poor angles, and he doesn't read and react well. Gets caught up in trash and allows blockers to get to him too often. Recognition skills hold him back. Can turn and run in or drop into zones in coverage situations, but he isn't instinctive enough. Dazzles with speed, quickness and explosiveness, but there is something missing. Reactions are getting better, though, and he could be ready to break out. Washington can rush, blitz and hold his own in coverage, so he doesn't have to come off the field on obvious passing downs. If his instincts ever catch up to his athleticism, watch out.

Position LB

'03 Team Indianapolis Colts

'04 Team Washington Redskins

Exp. 5 Years

umm just wondering.. is he sitting out with an injury or something? i havent read anything about him in any of the reports coming out of minicamp... maybe i am just overlooked looked it when i was reading but where is he?

That is a good point sjinhan. I don't think I've read anything about him in the articles that Bubba has posted. For the most part, I haven't heard a lot from all of the free agents that were brought in. I guess they are just trying to work into the system. I'm sure there will be plenty of news once the season draws closer.

Saw on the NFL network the Indy playoff game and one had MW highlighted somewhat. He seemd extremely intense, a very good playmaker and a big trash talker. A good fit for us at LB. Not sure at all on his overalll capabilities but given that Williams & Gibbs wanted him I'll deferr to their judgement.

Another example of an average player being severely overpaid because he's available. He was 5th on his team in tackles and 3rd among LBers trailing Thornton by 60 tackles. With only 6 tackles all year on 3rd dn and only one tackle all year on a pass of over 10 yds as Art said he looks like a 2 down LB. As for rushing the passer it's amazing how much easier it is for a LB when there are real threats like Freeney on the DL that can command a doubleteam. The Skins don't have one of those. Moreover with Washington since he was drafted late in the 2nd rd this will be the first time he will play after becoming a very rich man without the great motivator of working toward the big payday. Players almost never improve after they get their big money and almost always play worse so it's likely Washington will join the long line of FA's who look so good when you sign them but end up on the compost pile in a few years so you can sign a bunch more of FA's that look so good when you sign them.

Of all your FA's this year I think the warrior Barrow is your safest bet to give you a great effort because he's had the big payday in the past and still played great so it's a pretty safe bet he'll do it again. Brunnell would fall into that category also.

Originally posted by Pocono

Another example of an average player being severely overpaid because he's available. He was 5th on his team in tackles and 3rd among LBers trailing Thornton by 60 tackles. With only 6 tackles all year on 3rd dn and only one tackle all year on a pass of over 10 yds as Art said he looks like a 2 down LB. As for rushing the passer it's amazing how much easier it is for a LB when there are real threats like Freeney on the DL that can command a doubleteam. The Skins don't have one of those. Moreover with Washington since he was drafted late in the 2nd rd this will be the first time he will play after becoming a very rich man without the great motivator of working toward the big payday. Players almost never improve after they get their big money and almost always play worse so it's likely Washington will join the long line of FA's who look so good when you sign them but end up on the compost pile in a few years so you can sign a bunch more of FA's that look so good when you sign them.

Of all your FA's this year I think the warrior Barrow is your safest bet to give you a great effort because he's had the big payday in the past and still played great so it's a pretty safe bet he'll do it again. Brunnell would fall into that category also.

The universal truth of sports commentary is that you always see the good in your aquisitions and your enemy always sees the bad. At least that is what is always spoken about...

Originally posted by sjinhan

umm just wondering.. is he sitting out with an injury or something? i havent read anything about him in any of the reports coming out of minicamp... maybe i am just overlooked looked it when i was reading but where is he?

Lower back injury is keeping him off the field for now.

Watched a couple of Indy games. Dude is a baller... he will pursue the play no matter what... the good thing about our Secondary and linebackers now is that they have the speed to limit gains... you can have either LA or Wash line up as DEnds and have the other one rushing as a stand-up rusher.... you don't have to have LA being the only one capable of pursuing someone like McNabb... we now have 3 guys with the size and speed to match up with McNabb (running...seems that's the only way he knows to beat us)

Archived