Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trotter Released?????

frankbones

Should players number be retired ?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should players number be retired ?

• yes. they should be retired.
    • no.they snould not be retired.

Sorry if this was already posted, but according to Extremeskins favorite columnist Nunyo "Business" Demasio Jeremiah Trotter has been released. Can any body confirm or deny this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53814-2004Apr29.html

Redskins Assemble for Minicamp II

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, April 30, 2004; Page D02

Washington Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey, wearing an orange T-shirt and blue jeans, seemed to have extra pep in his step after being dropped off in a van by his wife, Ginny, in front of Redskins Park yesterday. A few minutes later, a group of lesser-known players walked into the training facility for the first time, staring at the unfamiliar surroundings. They were undrafted free agents who signed with the club shortly after the NFL draft.

Washington's draft picks, especially safety Sean Taylor, the fifth overall pick, will highlight Coach Joe Gibbs's second minicamp that starts today by participating in their first Redskins and NFL practice.

The three-day session will also introduce new players, like linebacker Mike Barrow and wide receiver James Thrash, who joined the team within the past several weeks, and returning players like Ramsey who couldn't fully participate in last month's minicamp because of injuries.

Gibbs said he doesn't intend to scale things back for those who were not at the camp in March.

"They're going to have to make up a lot of ground. It is going to be demanding," Gibbs said. "They're going to walk in here, and they're going to be way behind, and we're going to see how fast they can catch up."

Most NFL teams have minicamps shortly after the draft. But as a new NFL coach, Gibbs got an extra minicamp, held March 26-28. That voluntary minicamp had near-perfect attendance -- three players missed the minicamp for excused reasons and linebacker Jeremiah Trotter was not invited and subsequently released.

Eighty-five players are expected at the mandatory camp that runs through Sunday at Redskins Park. Gibbs will have one practice each day, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. The Redskins gathered for a pre-camp meeting and team dinner last night.

Ramsey, who is recovering from surgery to his right foot in December, hopes to go full throttle as the snaps are split equally between him and quarterback Mark Brunell, who is considered the favorite to be the starter.

"I'm ready to be ready, you know what I mean?" said Ramsey, smiling, who hasn't practiced since early December. "It's going to be brand new for me."

Two notable players likely to make their Redskins practice debuts after missing last month's sessions with injuries are cornerback Shawn Springs (bruised knee) and linebacker Marcus Washington (lower back). Barrow, Washington and LaVar Arrington will put the Redskins' starting linebacking corps on the field for the first time.

Six players won't fully participate: tailback Trung Canidate (foot), offensive lineman Derrick Dockery (shoulder), cornerback Walt Harris (knee), defensive tackle Brandon Noble (knee), wideout Cliff Russell (knee), left tackle Chris Samuels (left shoulder) and right guard Randy Thomas (knee).

One minor drama during Gibbs's first minicamp was Clinton Portis's pursuit of jersey No. 26 from safety Ifeanyi Ohalete. Portis, who signed an eight-year, $50 million contract with the Redskins, considered offering Ohalete money before challenging the safety to a boxing match. Portis will wear No. 35 unless he can change Ohalete's mind.

Taylor wore No. 26 at the University of Miami but intends to choose another number.

Gibbs believes that part of the problem is that the Redskins have too many unofficially retired numbers. "We do have a numbers problem," Gibbs said.

The Redskins' only officially retired number is 33, which was worn by quarterback Sam Baugh. But there's also an understanding that certain other numbers won't be worn -- quarterback Joe Theismann's 7 and Sonny Jurgensen's 9, wide receiver Charley Taylor (42), running back Larry Brown (43), tailback John Riggins (44), wide receiver Bobby Mitchell (49) and wide receiver Art Monk (81). Gibbs said he intends to consult with some former players to see if their numbers can be worn.

"It's become a problem," Gibbs said. "We need to somehow resolve that."

Redskins Notes: Center Larry Moore, released by the Redskins last Friday, signed with the Cincinnati Bengals. . . . Redskins vice president Pepper Rodgers has been recovering from facial surgery, and returns to work on Monday.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

Six players won't fully participate: tailback Trung Canidate (foot), offensive lineman Derrick Dockery (shoulder), cornerback Walt Harris (knee), defensive tackle Brandon Noble (knee), wideout Cliff Russell (knee), left tackle Chris Samuels (left shoulder) and right guard Randy Thomas (knee).

How long are these guys are going to take to heal?

I mean except for Noble its be almost 5 months since they last played

I think that's just a mistake. Trotter is still on all the official rosters I've seen. Maybe Nunyo intended to say "and it was subsequently announced he will be released."

C'mon, even national media reported about Larry Moore being released. Wouldn't Trotter have deserved his own article?

BD

Originally posted by Art

Trotter has not yet been released. He will be though :). If he's been released, it's a heck of a secret and an odd waste of space.

Art do know how much left of his bonus there is? I was thinking maybe 4 million, but am not sure.

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

He tore his ACL his rookie year.

i know that but he was healthy last year

could this be the first guy to get on gibbs IR :laugh:

remember back in the day gibbs would stuff players on IR all the time :)

Russell won't make this team unless they let Stickem back into the league.

Trotter will be cut June 1st because nobody is trading for him and we don't have the cap room for him and our rookies.

Since Trung is still injured and will miss another opportunity to stay on the team and perform for coaches, does anyone think he will be released as soon as he is healthy like Moore was?

Originally posted by skinamatic

I dont see the purpose in keeping Trung. Portis, Morton, Betts and The Rock are enough.

Morton isnt big enough to be anything but a 3rd down back

Betts has never been healthy for a full season

Cartwright and Canidate are the best bet for depth at RB.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Morton isnt big enough to be anything but a 3rd down back

Betts has never been healthy for a full season

Cartwright and Canidate are the best bet for depth at RB.

Are you willing to give up on Sultan? I think the guy has promise in a way that Canidate doesn't.

Archived