Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you happy with the Sean Taylor pick?

semiskin

Arrington, Redskins welcome top pick Taylor

04/26/2004

By JOSEPH WHITE / Associated Press

LaVar Arrington welcomed first-round draft pick Sean Taylor with a hug in the Washington Redskins auditorium.

Then the two players performed Part Two of the modern NFL greeting: They pulled out their cell phones and started trading numbers.

"I don't really take to too many people, but I like him," linebacker Arrington said. "I like his spirit, the way he carries himself."

Taylor, the No. 5 overall selection in Saturday's draft, arrived at Redskins Park on Monday with his agent and his father for his introductory news conference. The free safety from Miami found that his reputation had long preceded him, at least among his peers.

Coach Joe Gibbs said Taylor came highly recommended by other ex-Miami players, particularly new Redskins running back Clinton Portis.

"'Sean Taylor' — that's all he kept saying," Gibbs said.

Gibbs even pulled aside Portis before the draft and told him that Taylor would indeed help the defense, but that a top-five offensive pick would really upgrade the offense.

Portis' response? "We're going to be real good on offense."

So Taylor was the choice, an instant upgrade for a defense that ranked 25th overall last season. Offenses will have to account for both Taylor and Arrington, a pair of hard-hitters with speed who can both play sideline-to-sideline.

"He's the same size as me — and he's playing safety. And can play corner. And can run," said Arrington, who actually has about 20 pounds on Taylor. "He's a ballhawk. I'm excited. I'm starting to sweat."

Taylor was given a No. 1 jersey for the cameras, which will have to do until the team sorts out its number situation. Taylor wore No. 26 at Miami, the same number Portis wore with the Denver Broncos.

But the current Redskins' No. 26 is safety Ifeanyi Ohalete, and he is refusing to give up the number. Adding to the minidrama is the fact that Ohalete will probably be bumped from the starting lineup by Taylor.

Taylor's view: He's more than happy to let Portis have the number.

"He's the guy with the years under his belt," Taylor said. "I'll get a new number. There's a lot of them out there."

Taylor spoke of going from a great college tradition with the Hurricanes to the tradition of the Redskins, but overall his first meeting with reporters was a humble one. He didn't speak of Pro Bowls or great interceptions, and he made no guarantees.

"I'm a young guy trying to come in here and earn some stripes and try to win some games," he said.

http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D826L6O81.html

I am getting more and more pleased with this pick. After seeing how big that dude is in his press conference, WOW!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/sports/042604-12v.htm

He was very humble, and said all the right things. Lavar hugged him for crying out loud!

This combined with the Cooley pick and Winslow's whining, has convinced me that we made the right move!

The draft was anti-climactic for me. Joe Gibbs was rehired. Clinton Portis was acquired via trade, as was Mark Brunell. Drafting Sean Taylor isn't a big deal to me right now compared to what I mentioned before it. I wish we would have traded down but it still would have been anti-climactic.

The new avatar is great.

:cheers: :thumbsup: :point2sky

I live in Chicago with my longtime best friend who is also a diehard Skins fan originally from Virginia like myself. well, we watched the draft and before the skins picked we were both kinda bummed because we thought that Gibbs was going to take K2, not that he's not an exceptional athlete, but everyone know that our D needed more of a boost than the O. Well, when Taylor was announced as the pick we both started jumping up and down yelling and screaming, well we chest bumped and I fell down on the glass coffee table OUCH, either way, the glass is worth the sacrifice. Go SKINS, for anyone who is going, I will be at the Skins-Bears game in Chitown, let me know, I'll by ya a beer.

Iffy is going to be a utility player and a special teamer. He's good in that role. I too wonder whether he can beat out Bowen because he makes plays, while Bowen had about the quietest year of any starting player on defense.

I hope that Taylor's a beast, and that the likes of Jeremy Shockey start (finally) getting alligator arms against us.

I am getting more and more pleased with this pick. After seeing how big that dude is in his press conference, WOW!

I tried to tell a few people this a while ago. Some people were saying he had noodle arms, NO WAY, its just that his arms are incredibly long (which is great) thats why they look smaller, but they really arent, and he is HUGE. I remember people telling me there was no way he was more than 210 or something, I guranteed them at least 225 which is what he was, i believe 228 at the combine.

I remember going to the VT vs Miami game I was really excited to get a chance to see this guy play, me and my friend were trying to find him in the warmups, and then we found where the DB's were warming up and were just like "oh my god that dude is HUGE" he looked so out of place in that DB line.

I'm so excited about this upcoming season that I am even getting excited to figure out what numbers Clinton and Taylor are going to be wearing, just so I can start picturing in my head what exactly they are going to do to opposing teams, especially Eli.

Thank god we didn't get KW2, he has already started yapping his trap around about us.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2354968

Kinda interesting that he was so eager in being a skin but I think he was more interested in raping us with his agents and his contract.

Taylor on the other hand was excited as well being a redskin and I can't wait till his relationship grows with his team-mates, coaches, and the fans. I hear that the only redskin watching him when he got drafted was Lavar Arrington and Lavar got on the phone with him as soon as he could. These two incredible defensive players will seriously make our Defense (primarily secondary) look menacing.

BTW: WE WANT DALLAS

We've ignored the safety postition, essentially, for the past decade.

But it's too important to keep doing that.

It's possible that trading down and grabbing Sean Jones in the second along with D-linemen in the first would have been a better solution to all of our problems, but if we were staying there, I feel like a great safety was worth taking.

I like the idea that Taylor is our piece of the puzzle that shifts the focus of the other team's gameplan from Arrington, because a defense needs at least a couple very good playmakers. Our defense has been solid in years past, but we've never had more than one true playmaker, even with Champ here. Now we have at least two, possibly three (with Washington here) playmakers who will be able to make plays in every facet of the game.

No question about it Taylor was the right pick...losing Champ, IMO, sured up this pick. If Champ resigns and stays here, there is no way we take Taylor (too much $$ in the secondary).

Not saying that Winslow is a slouch, 'cause he's got skills (even though the guy is a prick), but this was definately the right choice.

Archived