Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Dline Sucks...again

Yomar

Let's give the staff some credit ... they just grabbed the highest rated defensive player ON EVERY TEAM'S BOARD.

If Gibbs & Co. can get some magic in later rounds like they did when they found Manley, we will be alright. Let's just hope they don't have to scout crack houses to find those players.

Originally posted by Yomar

Another draft goes by and we continue to ignore the most glaring need on this team 4 years running...there is always next year I guess...meanwhile Sean Taylor better be Brian Dawkins like or this pick was a huge reach.

I think what our biggest problem on D-Line hasn't been talent, but schemes. We've had some pretty shoddy coaches come thru here over the last 11 years-Norv & Spurrier mainly-who have brought their own coaching staff with them. the only 2 defensive coordinators that I think were of any use to us was Marvin Lewis & Ray Rhodes-both of which were only here for 1 season each. There have been some suspect players on the D-Line for the last 4 years, but I think that with the new/old coaching staff, we will be ok. Maybe not the best D in the League, but definately top 10, possibly top 5.

The Redskins obviously have to pay attention to the line in the draft next season. That said, as sound as the argument is that we could have done so this offseason as well, we were in a very high draft position where we had players who often could be considered the best in the draft. You can't pass that up. You especially can't when the defensive line guys available were generally so underwhelming compared to previous classes and within this class itself.

The addition of Griffin improves us. Daniels provides us with good depth and versatility. Noble's return is key as it would largely provide us with upgrades at three spots along the line over last year and as much as some people like to pretend otherwise, our biggest problem last year wasn't the defensive line. It was schematic.

While our current line is not anything better than average and may be a bit below average, I doubt we're completely finished here. I suspect we'll add something additionally and I have to believe if we are picking later next year, you can almost assure a defensive lineman will be the primary target in each of the first three rounds.

We've done a lot to improve this team and adding Taylor or Winslow just is too smart not to have done given their draft grades versus the linemen. I think we've gotten better everywhere this offseason except field goal kicker. We have room to get better still at positions like defensive line.

But, in this draft, where we were, and given how lowly the linemen were thought of, the right move was what we did both at the time we did it and looking back with the first round behind us.

Some of you guys seem to forgot that we still have a few more years to make a run for a championship. I don't think anyone here truly believes we will win the Super Bowl this year. Sure we did not address the defensive line need today, but we got the best defensive player on the board. He will make an instant impact on our team and be a very valuable asset down the road. We can always address the D line need next year, thus solidifying our defense. Building a team is a process, and in a few years we will have all pieces in place to win a championship

Originally posted by ljer

Send me a little of what you've been drinking today.;)

I'm not saying that we don't have issues, even subscriptions, on defense, but to say that we haven't made any improvements is downright silly. Look at all the people we have picked up in the offseason thusfar-Washington, Harris, Springs, Barrow, Griffin, etc. Granted, some of those names are suspect, but I know a few that aren't-Gibbs, Bugel, Williams. Talent isn't ALWAYS the problem or the solution. You can have all the talent in the world & if your defensive schemes are all wrong, your talent is worthless-just look at 2000. I think that our defense will be ok. And yes, I think we will be top 10, possibly top 5.

my comment about Taylor being a reach is basically this: If you are going to draft a safety with the #5 overall pick, he has to be the greatest thing since sliced bread or it was a wasted pick. If you draft a DT at #5, he can be a very good but not necessarily revolutionary player (a la Corey Simon) and it is a successful pick. To justify that draft slot and the money that comes with it, Taylor basically has to perform at a Brian Dawkins level, if he ends up being a good but not great safety, then thats just not good enough and the pick ends up being a reach, thats what I was trying to say with that comment. We basically have to hit a home run with Sean Taylor to make the pick worthwhile

I was one of the "Get a DL, any DL" crowd, but:

The guy I had picked, Wilfork, didn't get picked till #21. That means we had three choices:

[*]Pick him at #5 (16 slots ahead of where everybody else had him).

[*]Trade down with somebody.

[*]Pick somebody else.

[/list=1]

Now, option #2 looks pretty good to me, but it only works if we guess right, we predict which slot he's going to be picked, we make a deal with a 'somebody' who's slightly ahead of that slot (limiting our selection of 'somebody's to only a few teams), 'somebody' makes a reasonable offer, and our prediction comes true.

I think our FO has demonstrated a pretty good record of making draft-day deals (getting Ramsey seemed to work out OK). So, even though I would've preferred Wilfork (especially at #21, with maybe a 2nd, too), I'm just going to assume that 'somebody' didn't make a good enough offer, and our team picked option #3 over #1.

Two words that'll win just about any 'Skins argument: "Coach Gibbs".

yeah well, I'm going to wait until he actually does it on an NFL field before I start making those kinds of comparisons, I sure hope he is all that and a bag of chips though. I would just stop short of calling any safety drafted #5 overall a safe pick

Archived